The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Internet Not Running As Fast As It Should

Zachles

Right now, I'm with Time Warner, which is the only service in my area. There was some sort of confusion, and so they gave me a standard internet router, instead of a wireless one. As a result, I've had to dig out an old wireless router to use for the time being.

The problem is that my download and upload speeds are not as fast as they should be, but while my computer is directly plugged into the modem, I'm getting 20 mb/s download, which is what I should be getting. Unfortunately, I cannot always have my computer directly plugged in like this, so what can I do? I try not to deal with Time Warner as much as possible if I can avoid it. They're dumber than rocks.

I don't want cords running all around my house.

Right now, I have an old wireless-G router, and I feel like the connection is weaker in some parts of the house than others (I live in an almost 3000 sq. ft. home). I feel like I have to be within fifteen feet of the router or my connection will start dropping.

Again, I don't want to have to plug in my computer straight into the modem. Would buying a new wireless internet router fix this issue?

Edited by Zachles