Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rng Ruined My Life! (And Probably Killed Puppies)

SpiderWaifu

Lately, I've been having some problems with the random aspects of the game.

The procedurally generated maps are fine, but I'm mostly talking about...

Almost forced failure, (or forced to quit early in most cases) in Survival missions due to a lack of resources. This lack of resources is caused by the RNJesus deciding that it's not going to be merciful today.

Please note, I'm not talking about 'endgame' 4-player survival farm teams.

I'm certain that most people who 'casually farm' survivals have experienced this, where there's an INSUFFICIENT amount of enemies being spawned, so there's a greatly reduced chance of those sweet, life-sustaining support capsules coming out. RNG can screw you by not spawning enough enemies in survival. Changing this by upping the spawn rate could cause problems for people who aren't strongly kitted out. I'm not saying endgame level because I can solo most normal survival missions for 20 minutes (RNJesus permitting) with a 'decent' loadout, and most of my things non-forma'd and non-maxed.

(Edited)Another downside of this RNG is the rewards. People have already shown their disdain for the legendary 1,500 Credit reward at 10 minutes+, so I won't expand too much on it. It just sucks.

And because of the nature of RNG, some of you people may have not experienced any of these problems, and are perfectly pleased with how Survivals go, and never have a shortage of stuff to kill.

This is just what I have experienced, and I don't like it.

Edited by SpiderWaifu

The spawn rate can be heavily affected by player behavior.

As far as I understand it, if you're in an area where there are multiple entrances to the tile you're on, make sure you're not in line of sight to the doorways and spawn will be increased. i.e. crossroads -- more than 2 

Keep together, as if the party separates the spawn agro will go all screwball and mobs will start running after the "other" players across the map.

Parties that follow these rules will have all the spare resources they need. (in my experience)

now, making things like this known to the larger population is a whole different argument.

Modifying this behavior to be less problematic. (which, i think, is what you're getting at) would be definitely a huge bonus for everybody.

Improving mob AI would be a massive step forward for the entire game. 

As far as I understand it, if you're in an area where there are multiple entrances to the tile you're on, make sure you're not in line of sight to the doorways and spawn will be increased. i.e. crossroads -- more than 2 

Keep together, as if the party separates the spawn agro will go all screwball and mobs will start running after the "other" players across the map.

this.

however even if you are doing it right, drops still depends on rng. because on one run you are ok up to minute 10 on oxygen drops, and sometimes you can't even make it to 3 mins with the same kill count.

I didn't know that's how mob spawning works. About the rest of that stuff, I mostly run Survival on solo and sit around the Life support pods.

I always seem to have trouble having enough mobs to kill.

however even if you are doing it right, drops still depends on rng. because on one run you are ok up to minute 10 on oxygen drops, and sometimes you can't even make it to 3 mins with the same kill count.

This is the problem I have.

Edited by SpiderWaifu

Parties that follow these rules will have all the spare resources they need. (in my experience)

now, making things like this known to the larger population is a whole different argument.

Modifying this behavior to be less problematic. (which, i think, is what you're getting at) would be definitely a huge bonus for everybody.

Improving mob AI would be a massive step forward for the entire game. 

Sorry to say, but its RNG, especially dependant on the tileset.

Playing with the same friends, over and over again, on the same map, and some times we get hoards of enemies and O2, on others almost nothing. We did nothing different, only the tilesets where different.

Ive been keeping an eye out, and there are certain tilesets that seem to have spawns bugged, maybe because there ar eless spawns, dunno, making it harder to go on to higher.

@Spiderwaifu (jesus h. christ i don't even want to imagine how this looks like - Spider. Waifu. jeez)

we all do.

last survival i made 46:32 on Palus as Ember. up for 20 minutes mark i was surviving on capsusels alone, and after 20 minutes mark oxygen drops became more or less stable.

Survival need some changes, because it is stupid to depend on rng or specific frame.

ah yes there are also travel time issues.

Edited by Althix

@Spiderwaifu (jesus h. christ i don't even want to imagine how this looks like - Spider. Waifu. jeez)

we all do.

last survival i made 46:32 on Palus as Ember. up for 20 minutes mark i was surviving on capsusels alone, and after 20 minutes mark oxygen drops became more or less stable.

Survival need some changes, because it is stupid to depend on rng or specific frame.

ah yes there are also travel time issues.

(http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/Chaos_Queen_Quelaag.png/273400932/480x339/Chaos_Queen_Quelaag.png < It works like this)

It good, well, not good that so many people have the problem, but good that I'm not alone in wanting something changed)