The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Just Came Back - What Have You Done To The Game? (Long)

Dunkelheit

I have not played Warframe for a while since I was a bit burned out. When I saw the news on Facebook, about the event and the new update, I felt the excitement, the rush again.

Let us find some new mods, kill new enemies, enjoy the landscape, all while doing a fun event.

Ahhh, new weapons, new damage system, cool. Well, wow, a spreadsheet is needed to actually understand this? Wow, what is alloy armor, what is ferrite armor, what is cloned flesh? Infested, infested flesh, infested sinew?

Lets have a look at my university, maybe they teach Warframe.

But I want to stay positive, I really do. I loved Warframe.... very much. This might be for the better. The old system favored armor ignore way too much and this makes other weapons more viable (hopefully).

So, first question for my fellow tennos: When I level up a weapon, in which order would you place the upgrades? The dmg one like Serration first, then multishot, then the mod which helps with my weapons strongest damage type?

Ok, I upgraded my weapon as good as I can, what else is new.... aaaah, a codex, very, very good. This helps a lot, especially since datamining is impossible now. 

How do I do it? Kill enemies? Ah no, there is a camera and I need to take photos, well, this was ok in Bioshock, why not here?

Let us hop into a mission.

There is an enemy, NINJA SIGHTSEEING mode (they are eastern and these fellows love cameras, so it all makes sense). Ok, get out the camera, aim... ah... already dead. But there is that shield osprey, let us hit it... WTF stay in the camera... what, one second out of focus and I need to start from the beginning? Wait, stay... what? ah dead.

Hmm... there is the next one, a big one, this will stay alive longer... focus,focus... oh, someone ran into the view, obstructing it and I start again. wait.. focus... wow, this time I am dead.

To make a long version short: End of game.. I fumbled with the camera, killed nothing, NOTHING (which might be good since I dont get this damage system anyway (YET).

Was this fun? Not at all.

Next 3 missions: the same, I kill nothing, feel bad for my teammates who have to bear with such a newb, but got some photos. This feels awkward and frustrating. Every time after a mission I have to check my codex so that I dont shoot too many photos of this enemy type.

The event: Well... more camera stuff. Sounds interesting at first, but my interest has diminished. Back to Marvel Heroes.

Are you guys ok with this? I have to do like 100 missions making photos with my cameras? And after 3 missions I feel like throwing my mouse out of the window...

Who thought this would be fun? Why not make a codex about just killing? Which makes sense... after 100 enemies I know their weakness and what they have in their pockets. So I can have fun instead of shooting photos?

How many players are actually putting up with this? I could skip it, yes, the info might be in the wiki, but as a completionist this does not feel right for me.

This all feels very scary and not fun at all. But maybe I am alone with this feeling. I loved about Waframe that it was easy and fast action. Now I have to study the game and shoot photos, lots of them.

I am out for a while.

You will need the scanner for the event to. You equip to an inventory slot and now you can set a hotkey to swap to it like a weapon. You can also melee with it equipped. It is tricky to use but you cannot expect to have people attacking you and use your scanner with no consequence. Play more in groups and linger at the back or go stealth. The game gives more exp for a "stealth Scan". This is the first attempt at rewarding stealth game play. 

Warframe has changed however its ability to explain and inform  things has not, still awful. 

The reason we do not just "Kill things" for codex is that it was added to add more depth to the game. You do not have to do it. You don't need to finish the codex and you don't need to participate in the event. Its all optional. 

As for your learning curve problems. If you do not enjoy the game then do not play it (always a sad but true point). The game is very different then before and has more complexity, it will be hard for you to adjust but there are some very good forum threads on here to help you understand. In this general discussion there is a pinned damage 2.0 help thread that is very good. 

Edited by MDRLOz

This all feels very scary and not fun at all. But maybe I am alone with this feeling. I loved about Waframe that it was easy and fast action. Now I have to study the game and shoot photos, lots of them.

You don't need to "shoot photos". Wiki has all the information you need and more. The Codex was just a mean to avoid the use of the Wiki and provide in-depth information. Plus, an easy game is a boring game. Where's the fun in that?

Ahhh, new weapons, new damage system, cool. Well, wow, a spreadsheet is needed to actually understand this? Wow, what is alloy armor, what is ferrite armor, what is cloned flesh? Infested, infested flesh, infested sinew?

Lets have a look at my university, maybe they teach Warframe.

I am out for a while.

Erm, there's no 'alloy' or 'ferrite' armor. Damage 2.0 is - very - simple to understand. There are Shields, Armor, Flesh (Non-Infested Humanoids), Robotic and Infested. You hardly need to 'study' the new system, just learn which combinations work best vs each faction and switch them around. Really doesn't require much mental effort.

Currently it's:

Grineer - Corrosive/Puncture

Corpus - Magnetic/Impact

Infested - Gas/Slash

As for the event and scanners, those are all optional. You don't have to scan things if you don't want to, you're not forced to do the event if you don't want to. 

I really feel like you're overreacting.

Edited by Genomax

Erm, there's no 'alloy' or 'ferrite' armor. Damage 2.0 is - very - simple to understand. There are Shields, Armor, Flesh (Non-Infested Humanoids), Robotic and Infested. You hardly need to 'study' the new system, just learn which combinations work best vs each faction and switch them around. Really doesn't require much mental effort.

Currently it's:

Corpus - Magnetic/Impact

Infested - Gas/Slash

As for the event and scanners, those are all optional. You don't have to scan things if you don't want to, you're not forced to do the event if you don't want to. 

It seems knowledge of all the new surface types has not permeated the entire community yet, then. There are now 12, all with very variable weaknesses/resistances, taking the complexity of Damage 2.0 to whole new level of ridiculous, and none of it intuitive.

It seems knowledge of all the new surface types has not permeated the entire community yet, then. There are now 12, all with very variable weaknesses/resistances, taking the complexity of Damage 2.0 to whole new level of ridiculous, and none of it intuitive.

Yeah, wiki locked up for me. I just had a look at the chart, it looks a bit more complicated. Bit strange considering there wasn't a note of it in the patch notes, but oh well. Fortunately, the two kinds of shields and armor tend to be paired together when taking into consideration elemental combinations.

Seems to me like the new combinations might be something like:

Grineer - Viral/Puncture (They nerfed armor, and rollers are very rare)

Corpus - Viral/Impact (Robotics tend to be paired with shields, and Viral counteracts Impact)

Infested - Viral/Slash (This one I'm not so sure about, since the new surface types for this faction aren't as intuitive)

Of course, we're going to have to do a bit more experimentation, but in the end we'll still settle on one combination for each faction.

Currently it's:

Corpus - Magnetic/Impact

Infested - Gas/Slash

I got the alloy and ferrite thing from this spreadsheet:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/150832-update-115-resistances-excel-sheet/

Sorry if I got the wrong information.

And yes, I don't need to do the event, I don't need to shoot photos, I don't need to collect mods... but... I loved this game very much, played it inside out (I am rank 12 and this used to mean something when I stopped playing) and this is taking a direction I don't like. I am not overreacting, I am criticising. Depth is good, but the Codex thing and how to aquire stuff is just implemented in a very, very bad way.

Just 2 ideas out of the top of my head:

Let me kill stuff and update the codex accordingly

OR

If you absolutely have to go with the camera... let me bind a key to it. This way I don't have to fumble around with my weapons and pulling my camera. Making it either use camera OR the weapon is just awkward.

Ok, playing 2 other missions, I am going to follow your advice. I am not playing this....

Who in their right mind thought these additions are fun?

And this is a pity, because the new bosses and tilesets and warframes look badass. But the playability is down the drain.

Try going solo when scanning in a stealth frame and trying to take scans unseen.  Enemies not on alert don't run around so much and other players aren't there to block your view. It's like playing Metal Gear Photographer.

this.

Especially in the event mobs are total trash, I run around with my Vauban and kill them all with a friggin Dakra Prime with Blast while taking snapshots.

If you want to take pics, go in the new Infested Invasion missions, and then you will have dozens of mobs of the faction you are helping pose for you. (well, more like run around without shooting at you)

In general, taking pics is done solo because stuff dies too fast when in a team.