Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What The Hell Is Up With Nightmare Mode?

Understray

Err...it's why it's called Nightmare mode, enemies are tougher.

That's not tougher at all. I go from taking 10 heavies focused-fire to kill me, to 1 stray level 3 Corpus Walker killing me in 1 bullet. That's simply poor game design.

This is intended, for nightmare is the mission you hoped wasn't real, but its :D

Guess I'm buying nightmare mods. GG DE.

That's not tougher at all. I go from taking 10 heavies focused-fire to kill me, to 1 stray level 3 Corpus Walker killing me in 1 bullet. That's simply poor game design.

Um...the Enemies are level 35+, also known as level 70-80's before damage 2.0. I like Nightmare Mode because Its fun. But still, LEVEL 70-80'S. QUITE A DIFFERENCE.

Do what i did....get a loki....volt....ash...nova....and rush through a corpus capture/spy nightmare mode

MUCH easier to handle with less hassle and quicker

Edited by A1kona

SADLY nightmare mode is for "OMGOPTEAMFULLPRIME+9999999FORMASSDOIGJHNOISDGHJOISJD BOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Its basically imposible to solo these missions.

but theres always a guy who will come and say : OMG I CAN SOLO IT OMG NUB AJFASIOFJASI

Guest Shibboleet

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Nightmare_Mode

"

• Enemy Damage Buff: Enemies will have innate triple damage buff

"

Random mode is random. How is a harder mode that can one shot you bad game design when you can just leave and go back in to not have the triple damage if you're not up to the challenge?

Nightmare mode has multiple buffs/debuffs. One of which is "Increase Enemy Damage"

This increase the enemy's damage to extortionate amounts, so you have to be careful. This was separated from the "Increase Enemy Level", as it made Nightmare damn near impossible to do without being a tank.

You just got unlucky to get the damage buff

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Nightmare_Mode

"

• Enemy Damage Buff: Enemies will have innate triple damage buff

"

Random mode is random. How is a harder mode that can one shot you bad game design when you can just leave and go back in to not have the triple damage if you're not up to the challenge?

Going from being invincible to instant death is bad game design.  There is absolutely 0 challenge in 1-shot mechanics. There's nothing to overcome, you die or you don't. You don't learn anything from this other than to ignore/avoid the situation entirely, or get something that can just cheese it's way through (i.e. Loki, if you can keep up your energy). That's why it's bad game design.

Going from being invincible to instant death is bad game design.  There is absolutely 0 challenge in 1-shot mechanics. There's nothing to overcome, you die or you don't. You don't learn anything from this other than to ignore/avoid the situation entirely, or get something that can just cheese it's way through (i.e. Loki, if you can keep up your energy). That's why it's bad game design.

You should probably quit the game then as most of the late game is like this.

Also what warframe are you using to be one shot?

Also soloing these things aint that much different from soloing the void easy to F*** up put still doable as long as you take the right warframe.

Nightmare mode is not insta-kill. How much health/shields do you have? Venus Nightmare missions are usually fine with my 500-ish shield Saryn, I only get jittery when the nightmare debuff takes away shields.

I run Saryn for Nightmare runs - she's got the highest effective health, which means you're not completely doomed when you don't have energy/shields. Miasma disables enemies and does fairly good damage, AND has fast cast time so you're not stuck in animation when a Moa walks through a doorway and starts gunning at you.

And you cannot 1v1 any enemy on Nightmare Mode. Walking into a room is suicide even with Iron Skin.

Unless you're Nova/Saryn/Rhino/Trinity and can just press 4 to win, you can't just brute force your way through. I think I basically soloed a Nightmare Capture, the person with me kept rushing into rooms and dying. Corpus hurt even without Nightmare Mode buffs.

Edited by Nyxem

For what it's worth, nightmare mode is very poorly designed. With all the challenges being random, and with such heavy impact from what's chosen, there's really no way for players to intelligently prepare for it. What's more, the right combination of challenges can end up being blatantly unfair for some frames and loadouts.

It also doesn't help that, thanks to the random nature, you can constantly reload the mission until you get a set of challenges that are largely inconsequential (for example, going into a survival mission with the time limit challenge.... ends up removing the time limit).

Do what i did....get a loki....volt....ash...nova....and rush through a corpus capture/spy nightmare mode

MUCH easier to handle with less hassle and quicker

Trinity is much more efficient. Volt and Nova likely get shot down and depend on other survival frames most of the times to revive. 

Nightmare mode is not insta-kill. How much health/shields do you have? Venus Nightmare missions are usually fine with my 500-ish shield Saryn, I only get jittery when the nightmare debuff takes away shields.

I run Saryn for Nightmare runs - she's got the highest effective health, which means you're not completely doomed when you don't have energy/shields. Miasma disables enemies and does fairly good damage, AND has fast cast time so you're not stuck in animation when a Moa walks through a doorway and starts gunning at you.

And you cannot 1v1 any enemy on Nightmare Mode. Walking into a room is suicide even with Iron Skin.

Unless you're Nova/Saryn/Rhino/Trinity and can just press 4 to win, you can't just brute force your way through. I think I basically soloed a Nightmare Capture, the person with me kept rushing into rooms and dying. Corpus hurt even without Nightmare Mode buffs.

If press 4 is that easy that it. Energy orb as well as enemies consistency. Nova and Saryn likely to be the 2 that got shot down first. Nova's m-prime can not chain all when enemies keep popping up. Loki/ Trinity is a safer option. 

Trinity is much more efficient. Volt and Nova likely get shot down and depend on other survival frames most of the times to revive. 

If press 4 is that easy that it. Energy orb as well as enemies consistency. Nova and Saryn likely to be the 2 that got shot down first. Nova's m-prime can not chain all when enemies keep popping up. Loki/ Trinity is a safer option. 

I was being a bit too simplistic with that explanation. What I meant was that they're the only frames that actually CAN handle rooms of enemies without a different strategy. It'll still take a good amount of modding, but with Fleeting Expertise, Streamline, Stretch, and Focus I can spam a Miasma that kills most of the room in front of me. Extrapolating to Nova because you can M-prime targets and fire at them, just as you've been doing in previous levels.

Nightmare Mode energy drain pretty much invalidates casters. with utility abilities still okay. Loki should be fine because you can wait until invisibility wears off to pick up energy, and Trinity... I'm not sure. Rhino might be better off since he can just recast Iron Skin when he picks up energy for that health buffer. Been seeing a lot of Rhino in Nightmare.

My point is that OP probably wasn't expecting this level of difficulty in the game, or low-level Nightmare Mode. But it's definitely doable (and soloable) if you know what to expect.

I'll admit that I cheated a little bit in Nightmare runs - I used a Frost most of the time, equipped with the life-regen aura when going solo. Half of the Nightmare mods I received were through Solo play; when in groups, I usually used a Banshee or a Rhino, playing very careful offense.

Guest Shibboleet

So it's too much of a challenge? Isn't that intent for gaining a 40 plat mod?

Also what Brotherlcarus said

Some things in nightmare mode or completely off. 

A full tank frost gets ripped by the glance of a corpus tech for example but since things die too quickly to notice then it doesn't matter too much. 

There are methods to bypass it (perma invis, invincibility ect) but yeah, it's not for kids. 

For what it's worth, nightmare mode is very poorly designed. With all the challenges being random, and with such heavy impact from what's chosen, there's really no way for players to intelligently prepare for it. What's more, the right combination of challenges can end up being blatantly unfair for some frames and loadouts.

It also doesn't help that, thanks to the random nature, you can constantly reload the mission until you get a set of challenges that are largely inconsequential (for example, going into a survival mission with the time limit challenge.... ends up removing the time limit).

This what I also hate on Nightmare ... RNG.

Build optimization for ...

Nightmare could be standardized, higher enemy fire damage, less shield recharge rate, less ammo drop, no revives e.g. etc. but please dear DE Devs no RNG ...

I never thought I would hate RNG some day ... well not RNG, but bad implementation ...

Really I love Nightmare mode, but not with this randomness ...

Edited by Voidflow

SADLY nightmare mode is for "OMGOPTEAMFULLPRIME+9999999FORMASSDOIGJHNOISDGHJOISJD BOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Its basically imposible to solo these missions.

but theres always a guy who will come and say : OMG I CAN SOLO IT OMG NUB AJFASIOFJASI

Or Iron Skin :D That makes nightmare mode pretty doable by everyone solo.

Nightmare modes aren't that hard to solo, but you do have to pick your 'frames and weapons fairly carefully. The rushrushrush crowd usually come to bad ends, as you see in some of the above posts.

Decaying energy is a particularly nasty variant, as otherwise extremely durable 'frames like Trinity are suddenly helpless. Enhanced damage is brutal, but it's supposed to be.

It would be nice if there was some indications of what you're getting into before you start so you could chose your 'frames and weapons, but I could see that as being open to some degree of abuse as well.

Regardless, groups that actually work together can usually finish without too much trouble. Those that just rush off without a second thought will probably fail. That's as it should be.