Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Horrid Torid

mynameisd

my god, they should call it the dread cause it's dreadfully boring to use -.-...

can't see any good uses for this unless you're a vauban or $&*&*#(%&.

Make the projectiles fast and bouncy like the penta,

It should remind of the tf2 demoman launcher in terms of smoothness

what kind of genius gives a weapon with 500+ ammo and clips with only 5 in them LOL. Y U DO DIS?

just give it 500 ammo no reload then.

The damage it does is kind of fishy, maybe instead of static clouds it should inflict victims with DOT like a proper virus toxin thing would...

Edited by mynameisd

So Torrid is one of my fav weapons. I have 5 forma in it and it's incredibly fun. It would be great if it had a 500 ammo clip as you suggest (it has a looooong reload), but otherwise I disagree with you. I wish the Penta projectiles were like Torrid's

It is best used with vortex, but it doesn't have to be.

If I could tweak it I would buff the status chance and shift the damage towards the dps cloud and away from the projectile itself

It was better pre-Damage 2.0, but its far from horrid. To each, his own though

The Torid has always been a situational weapon in that it only shines when enemies are being funneled to you.  In the old damage system it had excellent crowd control as soon as you put a Cryo Rounds on.  Poison was also the only damage type that scaled well as enemy level increased, so the Torid had its uses in high level defense or survival missions.  This was especially true for the Infested, but held its own against the other factions.

In the new damage system, this took a big hit, but was recently improved when they changed the way damage was calculated for the launcher weapons a couple of hotfixes ago.  I have a potatoed (no forma) Torid that does 2862 blast damage and 2782 corrosive damage (includes the damage over time [10 seconds(?) component]) per shot fired.  The blast knockdown happens pretty frequently, so it does have a little crowd control use, but I feel like each grenade should knockdown targets as fast as a burst from the Embolist with a Corrosive Blast spec to fill that roll.

With all that being said, the only mission type where I've found it to still be viable is Orokin Derelict Defense missions (or Infested Defense missions where you protect a small cryopod).  The Penta does much better than the Torid in this situation, however, as does the Ogris.

The DoT component should have a chance to proc elemental effects on every tick if it doesn't already, then it would feel as useful as it used to.

And then there's always Torid sniping, which can be fun if you're looking for that kind of challenge :P

I did a big topic a few days ago, but got displaced by the thousands of "twin vipers are great", "twin vipers are bad", "how are the twin vipers" and all that uninteresting bollocks.

Read it here

I was approaching changes to the Torid that would make it more useful against other factions than just the infested in the kind of its original design, without overpowering it against the infested. Also a new approach to gas damage and how it could contribute to a more interesting way of dealing elemental damage by acting not as elemental damage type itself, but carrying over additional types of elemental damage, dealing AoE damage.

As I wrote there, the Torid is a devastating weapon against Infested, because for them you add fire elemental damage and gain gas damage (+75%). Gas damage is so lethal against them because they move in large groups, their movements are directed to you and their paths foreseeable, and even though the AoE of the Torid is very small, a few will step into the small cloud, triggering at least one proc that deals massive gas damage to all enemies in a great radius (the following toxin damage is negligible).

But sadly, gas isn't all that powerful against the other factions and even if the cloud does high damage over time, once the Torid is fitted with the right elementals and damage buffs, the tick rate is too low so the enemies often just walk through, mostly they don't stay in the cloud. And the most important thing: the cloud is waaaaaay too small in size, they have to stand almost exactly on the projectile else they won't get damage. And as you deal almost deadly damage on direct hit all the time, they don't carry that poison/viral/magnetic/flaming/radiating cloud with them to their friends behind cover, so it is pretty much useless against everything else than infected. It is getting a little bit more useful when there are masses of enemies, but still, better use another weapon with shred or metal auger.

As it stands, the gas cloud damage is only interesting when facing infested, else you will use the direct hit damage and for this, we have other weapons that excel in that job.

Yeah, the cloud size is the only thing I can complain about. I loved the torid pre-2.0, and it's still pretty good, but the penta and the ogris are a lot better for aoe right now. Best way to get the torid clouds to do a lot of damage is to stick them to an ancient or other heavy unit, since he'll drag the cloud with him, damaging him and everyone else as he goes. If they made fireblast effect the torid (it's the only aoe weapon that can't use it) and/or gave it a bigger aoe, it'd be great. Damage is fine. Proc chance, especially with the new dual mods, should be fine, since IIRC the cloud can proc.