Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Im A Space Ninja, Not A Pokemon Trainer!

shavedllama

EDIT: So currently attitudes towards bots/pets range from "Ohmahgawd they are the best thing EVA" fanboy approach to "they're fine, but alternatives would be nice" to "I don't want to use them/pets suck AND alternatives to using them would be nice".

In regards to that, in no particular order:

-they can be considered annoying or immersion beaking, for the most part because they are so obtrusive while floating above your head and coming into view in third person.

-their abilities seem off and some are potentially overpowered (see emergency shield). Especially if you take into account the current "weakened" status of frames.

-as A POSSIBLE alternative, here's what Openblue suggests (seems to be viable):

Perhaps put a special mod slot in for warframes and if you want to play with pets, have a "drone controller" mod installed. If, however, you choose not to, this slot could be used for other, equally powerful things, like new universal abilities, utility mods (eg. Emergency sheilds that activate once every 5min if your sheilds go down) or large passive bonuses (eg. "Survivalist mod: +hp, +sheilds, + armour).

Original attention-grabbing post, which prompted outrage, prepubescent tears, and more ragging on the topic than useful discussion.

What's with the damn pets?! Annoying, pointless, immersion breaking, not to say that it totally kills off the top left half of your screen. How bout taking their "mod abilities" and transferring them as possible mods for warframes... Then sticking the pet idea back where it belongs. *hint, not into a game dealing with space assassins.*

'nuff said.

Edited by shavedllama

What's with the damn pets?! Annoying, pointless, immersion breaking, not to say that it totally kills off the top left half of your screen. How bout taking their "mod abilities" and transferring them as possible mods for warframes... Then sticking the pet idea back where it belongs. *hint, not into a game dealing with space assassins.*

'nuff said.

Annoying? how, they help protect/attack with you. Pointless? Since when is more damage, or free stealth ever pointless? Immersion breaking? Thats on you man, I say it fits really well. Also, that's a bit of an exageration of them take up the top left half. You probably simply have a small monitor. And while it isn't your fault, that doesn't provide a plausible reason. Also, here is a solution, dont buy one. No one is forcing you too.

Well we may be space ninjas but assistant drone type creations are pretty common in sci-fi settings. I know not every sci-fi needs it but the devs have decided that it should be included into Warframe. Instead of cursing its existence, I wonder the kind of potential it has to explain more of the lore and why Tenno technology looks so biological. Could the Sentinel possibly be a sentient life form or is it a robot incased in biological material? Maybe there's some kind of plan to show Orokins back when they were still alive using drones to assist them in their day to day lives.

It's also a pretty cool homage to the old Phantasy Star Online days.

Edited by Liacu

Here's an idea.

Don't use them.

Not using them put's you at a significant disadvantage towards the end of the game. It would be nice if DE gave us alternatives to pets for those of us who don't like them. And I mean actual alternatives, as in something you can only use if you give up having a pet equipped.

Not using them put's you at a significant disadvantage towards the end of the game. It would be nice if DE gave us alternatives to pets for those of us who don't like them. And I mean actual alternatives, as in something you can only use if you give up having a pet equipped.

Thank you, someone who got the jist, rather than getting snippy like the rest. Rather than posting "don't use them" a hundred times over (which needless to say is obvious and completely unnecessary to point out) lets discuss what they do for the game, and how "not using them" affects it.

What are pets here, in their essence? Answer is simple; extra dps and extra abilities (activated passively). Now, take that away and they're simply decoration, flair if you will. But think of it this way - if you take their abilities and put them elsewhere, such as create mods for warframes that do the same thing, (which is so simple to do, in relation to everything else DE is doing), then they truly are pointless. As a result, NOT using them puts you at a disadvantage. It's not just a simple matter of use or not use if it affects your gameplay. Thus, yes, alternatives would be lovely.

Furthermore, yes, killing off the top left portion of your screen is an exaggeration.... but you constantly have a silly bug-looking thing floating above your head wherever you go in a mission. And yes, its there on the screen as well. It looks.. weird to put it lightly.

While I'm glad the intentionally attention-catching topic title is doing its thing and catching attention for discussion, lets keep things above the level of "hurr durr dont use that feature if you don't like it". We're here to generate suggestions and -hopefully- improve the game.

Thank you, someone who got the jist, rather than getting snippy like the rest. Rather than posting "don't use them" a hundred times over (which needless to say is obvious and completely unnecessary to point out) lets discuss what they do for the game, and how "not using them" affects it.

While I'm glad the intentionally attention-catching topic title is doing its thing and catching attention for discussion, lets keep things above the level of "hurr durr dont use that feature if you don't like it". We're here to generate suggestions and -hopefully- improve the game.

If you don't want "snippy" comments, don't create a thread with a "snippy" title and a "snippy" op.

'nuff said.

Shield restores and health restores, we've had them for a while.

If you don't want "snippy" comments, don't create a thread with a "snippy" title and a "snippy" op.

What are you achieving right now? This comment in particular, lets say. The point of a striking topic title and post is that it attracts both attention, which is the core needed to generate discussion. (See Section 8 on Attention's Relevance to Opposing Viewpoints.)

I don't care for snippy comments, as we have now taken to calling them, but what exactly is being achieved through them? Because that seems like the impulse that the lemmings follow - latch onto something that stands out apart from the actual topic. Also a good way of filtering out the -defective- ones, as it turns out, I suppose.

Note the word "alternative". Supplementary effects and alternatives are different. This means that you are literally at a disadvantage if you don't use them.

Edited by shavedllama

What are you achieving right now? This comment in particular, lets say. The point of a striking topic title and post is that it attracts both attention, which is the core needed to generate discussion. (See Section 8 on Attention's Relevance to Opposing Viewpoints.)

I don't care for snippy comments, as we have now taken to calling them, but what exactly is being achieved through them? Because that seems like the impulse that the lemmings follow - latch onto something that stands out apart from the actual topic. Also a good way of filtering out the -defective- ones, as it turns out, I suppose.

Note the word "alternative". Supplementary effects and alternatives are different. This means that you are literally at a disadvantage if you don't use them.

You wanted an alternative to sentinels and I gave you one.

Don't sentinels take up two gear slots? That's the trade off to using them. Besides, they aren't useless, I've heard that the sentinels weren't dpsing correctly, but there are useful sentinel cards. Have you tried them all yet? What rank is your sentinel anyway?

Edited by Stygi

Although I'll say that the Sentinels don't actually provide a lot besides minor gimmicks you may or may not make use of (stealth, aoe stun) exception being the Guardian mod (restores 50+ shields when you run out of shields with no cool down) which is totally OP although I haven't tested it thoroughly and still makes you vulnerable to high damage hits.

What role are they supposed to fill? Allow for more unorthodox skills that do not match your current warframe. In RPG terms, you could call this sub classing (a 2nd class besides your 1st one). So you can mix Loki (stealth class) with Shade (stealth sub-class) for optimal stealth capabilities. Or maybe combine the Shade with Ember (spellcaster) so that she has an escape mechanism after casting spells. Although you could possibly integrate these very same abilities into mods, it seems awkward to be equiping a stealth mod on a non-stealth character. It would also limit the amount of slots you would have as we only have 8 of them to use.

Maybe a possible suggestion is to have a graphical option to turn off Sentinels. So you can still use them but you'll never see them.

What about stealth? Aoe stun? Possible abilities that will come in the future?

Don't sentinels take up two gear slots? That's the trade off to using them. Besides, they aren't useless, I've heard that the sentinels weren't dpsing correctly, but there are useful sentinel cards. Have you tried them all yet? What rank is your sentinel anyway?

I have no idea what the 2 slot thing means because you do not store Sentinels in the inventory where blueprints, warframes and weapons are. Also the point of the TC's thread is that he doesn't want to use them because they interfere with his belief of how the game should be presented. (I disagree but that won't get us anywhere)

Edited by Liacu

good answer

I'd like to add that it'd be kind of weird seeing laser beams being shot out of thin air but that's the best suggestion I could make. Also it clashes with another Sentinel mechanic as you cannot tell if it has been destroyed or not or if it's even following you. Sentinels have shields and health like warframes and I've noticed my one gets left behind occasionally.

Edited by Liacu

good answer

Maybe a possible suggestion is to have a graphical option to turn off Sentinels. So you can still use them but you'll never see them.

That'd be nice, yes, at least something to limit their presence.

I'd like to add that it'd be kind of weird seeing laser beams being shot out of thin air but that's the best suggestion I could make. Also it clashes with another Sentinel mechanic as you cannot tell if it has been destroyed or not or if it's even following you. Sentinels have shields and health like warframes and I've noticed my one gets left behind occasionally.

There's that, of course. Though I don't feel like the lasers really do much right nowm so it wouldn't matter much. Especially since damage and the like no longer scales with level.

No, you didn't. Go look up the word "alternative", stop being a smartass, and get off.

Edited by shavedllama

You can have those whilst having your pet too, I whant somethign that isn't a pet that takes up he pet slot, because I don't like pets, and I don't like being disadvantaged in a game for not using a feature that I don't enjoy either.

Although I'll say that the Sentinels don't actually provide a lot besides minor gimmicks you may or may not make use of (stealth, aoe stun) exception being the Guardian mod (restores 50+ shields when you run out of shields with no cool down) which is totally OP although I haven't tested it thoroughly and still makes you vulnerable to high damage hits.

What role are they supposed to fill? Allow for more unorthodox skills that do not match your current warframe. In RPG terms, you could call this sub classing (a 2nd class besides your 1st one). So you can mix Loki (stealth class) with Shade (stealth sub-class) for optimal stealth capabilities. Or maybe combine the Shade with Ember (spellcaster) so that she has an escape mechanism after casting spells. Although you could possibly integrate these very same abilities into mods, it seems awkward to be equiping a stealth mod on a non-stealth character. It would also limit the amount of slots you would have as we only have 8 of them to use.

What about stealth? Aoe stun? Possible abilities that will come in the future?

I have no idea what the 2 slot thing means because you do not store Sentinels in the inventory where blueprints, warframes and weapons are. Also the point of the TC's thread is that he doesn't want to use them because they interfere with his belief of how the game should be presented. (I disagree but that won't get us anywhere)

Guardian restores a percent of shield not a flat number. After I got my redirection mod (shields) my sentinel went from giving me 60 shields to 240 or so.

'nuff said.

Annoying - highly subjective

Pointless - no explaination, factually wrong. You said it yourself, they have mods and ablities.

Immersion breaking - highly subjective.

Screen obstruction - easy fix, make them "orbit" around you when the player is stationary, and behind camera when in movement.

Yeah, try harder next time.