Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Warframe: A Guide For New Players.

EvilKam

Question

Edit 9 April 2017 - Minor content changes on Steam guide which is the recommended version.

My sincere apologies to everyone here.  I am trying to paste my guide from Steam to here, and it's all getting ruined and ugly.  I'm tired of fighting the forums here.  For future reference, see the steam guide.  My guide now takes 26 minutes to read!

A complete starting guide covering all the most needed concepts for a new (and even Veteran) Warframe player. Brought to you by the clan warlord of ThirdStringNinjas, the world famous Warframe Clan!*   

*(please note: This guide is not meant to be read in a single setting. Pick the first 5 or 6 sections to start, and from there, read the others as you need.

I've spent months years helping new players and this guide is the result of me answering all the same questions, all the time. I read other guides, but by the time I started in Nov 2013, EVERYTHING was either outdated, inadequate, or both. I've kept this updated with a lot of feedback and I'd like your feedback too.

GUIDE INDEX
Overview
0 - IMPORTANT- READ THIS FIRST!                                                   1 - Money, and how not to spend it. 
2 - Quest Systems and the Codex                                                         3 - Chat System 
4 - The Market                                                                                       5 - Experience Points: Affinity Rank vs Mastery 
6.1 - Gameplay: Movement and Basics                                               6.2 - Gameplay: Melee 
7 - Power: It's all in the cards                                                                 8 - Getting Frames 
9 - Making Things Die                                                                          10 - Foundry: BUILDING ALL THE THINGS! 
11 - Planets                                                                                           12- Enter the Void: Keys Not Included 
13 - Catalysts, Reactors, Exilus and Forma: More power, More grind. 
14- Farming, or How I learned to love the grind.                                   15- The Dojo, The Clan 
16- Warframe's Story                                                                             17 - Assasins in my inbox! 
18- Player Relays                                                                                  19- Syndicates 
20- Companions: Kubrow, Sentinels, Kavats, and Extractors               21- Trading 
22- Archwings! Magical space ninjas IN SPACE!                                  23- Failing Mastery Tests! A Bonus section. 
24.1- So long and thanks for all the information                                    24.2- My tutorial is over. Now What? 
0 - IMPORTANT- READ THIS FIRST!   

Spoiler

When you start a new game of Warframe, or if you've been gone since pre-update-14, you are launched into a tutorial sequence. You'll complete a few brief missions, and the game walks you through the very basics. Right off the bat, it's best if you know the following:
There is no "best gun" for a "Rhino", or a Zephyr. There is almost no synergy in warframe.[forums.warframe.com]
Neither Health nor Energy regenerate on their own (unless you or teammates have certain Auras equipped.)
Shields ALWAYS regen on their own.
Press Esc - click on Options - Hud - and then look at Player list. Turn on the player list. Teammates are important, this tells you who they are, and what Mastery they have achieved.
Your kills provide your team mates with bonus affinity, but only if you are within 50m of them.
Being affinity level 30 does not mean you are strong. Without upgraded mods, affinity level 30 is still weak.
When you die, you can revive. This costs 10% of the affinity you've earned in that mission, but allows you to keep going, and it's impossible to go into the negatives.
Stealth gameplay offers an affinity stack bonus, and if you sneak up on an enemy who is NOT ALERTED, you can execute a special high damage move. Rescue missions offer special specter rewards if the Warden enemies are not alerted to your presence.
Each Warframe has unique powers. As your Warframe increases in affinity rank, not only do they unlock in sequence as you level from 1 to 30, but they also upgrade themselves automatically. By default, mousewheel scrolls through them, and you can use 1-4 on the keyboard. Middle mouse used to activate your selected power, but it now activates alt fire for your weapons instead.
In one of the first tutorial rooms, you will need to cross a rather large looking chasm. Run into a wall, hold jump, and you'll wall-run for as long as you hold jump. I'll have more on that later, but you need to know it in the first or second room of the tutorial, hence it's mention here.

The tutorial also introduces the Quest system. Right now, just know that the front of your ship is a nav console, and it leads to missions with an x-symbol on them. These missions will give you all the replacement "segments" for your broken Tenno Ship. These are fairly easy, and you'll be solo for the first couple of them, until you get the communication segment.

Once in game, you will be in your Tenno Ship, called an Orbiter. Walk around and familiarize yourself with the layout to see where different segments get installed. You can either walk the different consoles, or you can press escape to bring up the main menu, and instantly activate your Arsenal or Foundry, or work with your mods. The menus have sub menus, so you'll be doing a lot of clicking. (Your mini-ship is called a Liset, it's the ship you rescued)

In the background, Ordis, your Cephalon AI will continually blather on about different things. Ordis reminds me of a combination between C-3P0 and Bea Arthur.. 

Gear (in your Arsenal) consists of items that you can use in mission. Ammo packs, Health packs, the codex scanner, Ciphers for hacking, etc...

1 - Money, and how not to spend it.   

Spoiler

Warframe uses three kinds of in-game currency. Credits, Platinum, and Orokin Ducats.
Credits drop from enemies, containers, and lockers; can be earned by selling weapons, and frames, and are given as mission rewards.
Platinum is the second type of currency. New players get 50 platinum. To prevent people using fake accounts to farm platinum, your 50 starter platinum can not be traded or donated.
The only way to get more platinum is by trading with players or purchasing it from the in-game marketplace with real money. Platinum is rather important, so spend it carefully.
Orokin Ducats are earned by selling prime components to the Void Trader's kiosk in player relays. Every 2 weeks or so, The Void Trader shows up at a randomly selected relay. He offers rare prime mods (trading them to another player costs the buyer a million credits of in-game tax, plus whatever you want is on top of that), and assorted other "impossible to find" items.
Platinum buys new warframe slots, weapon slots, cosmetic options, and even whole warframes and weapons. You start with 2 warframe slots, and a handful of weapon slots and 4 sentinel slots. There is no way to "farm" slots or a majority of cosmetic options, but you don't technically need those to see and do everything in Warframe. You might need extra slots to see and do certain things at the same time, but you can TECHNICALLY do everything for free.

The only exceptions are limited items that were special rewards and/or part of discontinued promotions... None of the rest of us get to have these things either unless DE decides to bring them back, so don't feel bad. Many things have been brought "out of retirement".

Note: Major Warframe "Events" will offer, from time to time, special weapons as a reward. These weapons come with slot and catalyst, so you CAN earn a couple of slots for weapons. So far it has been 2 or 3 a year. No guarantees though.

For no money, you can farm the parts to warframes and sentinels, score reactors and catalysts in alert missions (more on that later), and buy or farm blueprints to almost anything in the game with VERY few exceptions.

2 - Quest Systems and the Codex    

Spoiler

The Codex is one of the few pieces of your ship functional from the start. It forms your account's in-game encyclopedia.

The codex also launches Quests (scroll across the top of the screen), which, when activated, show up as special markers on your nav map Quests look like an inflated X-symbol. Some quests can be started directly, others require a prerequisite to unlock. (Could be killing a certain boss, finding a key component, talking to a Cephalon, and DE can add other new quests at any time.)

Just because a quest is available doesn't mean you can survive it. You may find yourself with available quests and needing several Mastery Ranks before being strong enough to beat them.

The Codex also tracks scans of enemies and objects, listing which enemies drop which mods, as well as what gear you have ranked up, and how far it has gotten.

Cephalon Simaris (In the player relays) will sell synthesis scanners, normal codex scanners are available in the market. The Helios sentinel will use codex scanners to automatically scan anything you aim at (as long as you haven't completed it)

Each item and enemy in Warframe requires a certain number of scans in order to "complete".

3 - Chat System    

Spoiler

Warframe has a built in chat client available unless you're at loading screens. 
Region chat is general discussion, for your geographical region setting.
Recruiting chat is for putting together groups and asking for a player to get you through a mission, or a taxi to an alert. 
Trade chat is for trading. To prevent spamming, DE implemented a 120 second gap between posting. Trade is completely unregulated, and a few websites have sprung up to offer values of things. Region chat can guide you to reliable market tracking websites.

While in a group/squad, you will have access to Squad chat. 
If you are in a clan, you will have access to Clan chat. 
If your clan is in an alliance, you will have access to Alliance chat.

Invites use the chat system as well. You can click a person's name and select the option to invite them as long as you have started a session (i.e. - staring at your solar map). 

Chat commands:
/invite personname - invites player to a squad with you
/i personname - this player will be ignored
/ignore personname - See above
/w personname - Listed person recieves a private message, aka a "whisper" message.
[Name Something] - creates a hotlink to showcase a codex entry about the item.

A taxi is basically using other players to take you to missions you haven't unlocked yet. This is a way to skip past certain missions, or get to alerts.

Asking for a taxi in region chat is considered poor form, and will probably get snide remarks from the people there. Same with asking to trade items in region chat. In fact, Kickbot (A developer account that runs automatic scripts) will kick you for trying to sell things, request a taxi, or recruit for clans in region.

4 - The Market    

Spoiler

The market is where you can spend your credits and platinum on a variety of items. Most of it is self explanatory at this point. Only the slots and certain cosmetics are "Platinum Only", and it is common for holidays to offer unique cosmetics costing only credits.

Blueprints for a large number of weapons are available for credits, but you must click the item first. This takes you to an info screen with options to buy for plat, or with little blue boxes, buy the blueprint with credits. Once built, the blueprint is consumed.

Blueprints for keys are generally (if not always) re-usable.

Click through the categories and see what is offered, the interface is simple enough that if you know how to start up Warframe, you can navigate through the market. Some items are XP Locked. You won't be able to get them or build them until you have improved your Mastery.

5 - Experience Points: Affinity Rank vs Mastery    

Spoiler

Virtually everyone has played a game that uses experience points. It's a very basic formula. Play game, kill things, level up, increase power with your level, kill bigger things, level up more, increase power more etc. Along the path of levelling up, you find better gear. A bigger sword, a better gun, cooler armor, more energy, better tools etc.

The trick is that Warframe doesn't use experience points the typical way. Here, experience points come in two flavors. Affinity and Mastery.

Affinity Level
Killing things gives you experience points, or "Affinity" for your weapons, companion, your actual Warframe Character (hereafter referred to as just a Frame or Warframe). Affinity goes from 0 (unranked) up to 30 (max rank). Every time your affinity goes up by one level, that item gets one mod point. Weapons with a catalyst and Frames with reactors get 2 mod points per affinity level. That is it though. Your weapons do not get more powerful.

Warframes receive increases to hit points, shields, and Energy as you rank up to 30, and as mentioned earlier, Warframes automatically unlock new powers and upgrade those powers as you progress to rank 30. This is the only thing that ever improves by itself. Everything else depends COMPLETELY on mods. More on that later.

Mastery Rank
Mastery is the Level for your game account. Every time you gain a NEW Affinity Level of a weapon/frame/companion, you gain Mastery Points. (for example, if you get a Hind rifle to rank 12 and throw it away, you got 1200 mastery from it.  If you later re-build it, and get it to rank 10, 11, or 12 again, nothing happens, you've already reached ranks 1-12 on the Hind.  Reaching rank 13 however would be a new rank, so THAT awards 100 mastery for your account)
If it takes a catalyst, it's worth 100 mastery per Affinity level. 
If it takes a reactor, it's worth 200 mastery points per affinity level. 
As you increase in Mastery, you will be able to:
access more items from the market place, 
be able to craft more things in the game's foundry,
Make more trades each day.
Raise the "minimum mod points" on new and "forma'd" equipment.(explained below)
Get free loadout slots in your Arsenal

So while Affinity applies to individual things in game, Mastery is strictly account "level". You can reset the affinity of stuff to 0 using Forma, but that's not something to worry about in the new player stages of the game, and doesn't give more mastery.

Each Mastery Rank achieved essentially gives new weapons and frames a "fake Affinity level". 
At MR10, new items start off as though they had 10 fake levels, with 10/30 mod points.
At Mastery 20, new items will start with 20 energy out of 30. 
Just like real levels, installing a catalyst or reactor doubles those mod points.
These items are still TECHNICALLY unranked though, max out at 30 points without catalyst or reactor, and still need to be leveled up if you need to get the points for ranking them up or before you can add forma.)

Mastery Tests
When you earn enough mastery to improve from Mastery 0 to Mastery 1 (and beyond), you can click on your profile, (upper left of screen) and you will see a progress bar that will be filled and flashing. You will be able to take a Mastery test (Only one test per day, however). 

The Warframe Wiki gives fantastic details about testing. Suffice it to say that you will be given a task such as "kill all the enemies with melee weapons". You must do exactly that (so your sentinel killing things could cause failure). For new players lacking great gear, some tests can be tough. Don't worry, if you fail a test, you need only wait 24 hours to retake it. In the meantime, you can still play and stock up on Mastery towards your next tests, no harm done. Worst case scenario, you'll eventually score the mods needed to power through the test victoriously laughing. 

I was stuck at MR 7 for a very long time, I could never make it past the 7-8 test. By the time I beat that test, I was MR9 and 3/4. I from MR7 to MR10 in 4 days.

Now that you know leveling up doesn't do much good, we can move on to how to really become deadly in the section "Power - It's all in the cards".

6.1 - Gameplay: Movement and Basics  

Spoiler

Gameplay looks deceptively standard for a combat game. Third person, WASD controls, mouselook, nothing here deviates from the norm set by 1994's Heretic. Health in red numbers, shields in blue, an icon strip lists of all the powers for your frame, and a blue/white bar for energy (used to fuel your awesome space ninja powers).

Movement however has a few key factors to take note of:

All Tenno can double-jump in mid air.

Run straight into a wall, then press and hold the jump button to begin wall-hopping upwards. This can be done until you reach the top limit of that room. At the top of a climb, your ninja will flip themselves over the top of any ledge.

Hit the wall running at an angle, press and hold space, and you will wall-hop along its length. 

Letting go of the space bar while wall-running causes you to leap forewards, letting go of WASD causes you to simply fall.

Instead of leaping forwards, you may want to leap away. While wall running, transition from your forwards key to a strafe (sideways). (In other words, switch buttons) Letting go of space while pushing away from the wall will cause you to leap away instead of ahead.

While on walls, press "Aim" to latch onto them, and hold yourself in place for a few seconds. From here you can survey the battlefield, aim and shoot at enemies, or plan your next leap. Wall latch has a time limit. After a short time, you simply start falling.

While airborne, holding the aim button allows you to begin gliding, greatly slowing your fall, and extending any distance you might propel yourself. Gliding has a time limit, after a short time, you simply start falling.

Bullet Jump: Crouch while standing more moving, then press jump. You leap towards whatever direction you were aiming. Looking upwards while bullet jumping causes you to reach very high altitudes.

Slide or jump kick: If you're running, press crouch to slide. If you're jumping, pres crouch to jump kick. Hitting an enemy with your jump kick will knock them down. Jumpkicks are a very important skill.

From your jump kick, you can double jump to carry yourself much further. Aim upwards while jump kicking, and your bullet jump will be extremely high. Combine with aim-gliding to cover tons of distance.

When running to a short barrier, pressing jump while moving will allow you to vault quickly over it in a hopping motion.

Melee offers a few important movement options, listed in the next section.

Many objects can be used. Lockers can be opened, terminals can be activated, lockdowns can be hacked.

Hacking is a simple minigame with 2 variants.
Corpus or Orokin terminals have hexes to spin by clicking them (right and left click to spin different directions). Simply connect the line patterns.
Grineer hacking is done by activating an outer spinner when it lines up with internal nodes. Hitting a node locks it in, missing a node kicks the node back out. Every node activated increases the spinner speed. High level alarms switch the spinner direction with each button press.

Hacking will reset alarms, close windows, unlock a door, disable security or cancel enemy lockdowns.

In multiplayer, a downed ally can be revived with the use button. When you run out of life, in multiplayer you have a bleedout time during which you can be brought back by a teammate. This gives you full life and shields, but not full energy. When starting, my friend and I would crawl into fires to die so that we could revive each other with full health. It was a lot cheaper than using a 1000 credit healing pack to give us a handfull of extra hit points.

6.2 - Gameplay: Melee    

Spoiler

The Melee system in Warframe offers a few neat tricks. Hold down your "weapon switch" button until you enter Melee mode. While you can always use a melee strike, Melee mode offers more in-depth weapon combat. Mouse1 channels energy into your weapon, the same energy used to fuel your powers. While channeling, your weapons do extra damage, and kills result in your enemy dissolving in front of you.

Holding down the melee button instead of tapping it results in a "charge attack". Although slower, it is far more deadly.

While jump-kicking, (run, jump, then slide while in air) activate the melee button to do a strike in mid-air. 

Use a melee strike while wall running for massive damage, especially if you hit an enemy's weak point.

Melee strikes in air will propel your Tenno in the direction you're looking. 

Mouse2 (right click) causes you to parry. Parrying will limit the effectiveness of incoming attacks. Bullets and blades are both inhibited by parrying, and with the right mods, attacks can be completely reflected back to their origin, making the people who shoot at you die from their own bullets.

Every weapon has a default stance, a set of maneuvers performed. However, by finding rare and uncommon stance mods, you can access different maneuvers, and unlock combo attacks, often with greater flourish, damage, or both. Stance mods are installed on the side slot for a weapon, and just like an Aura mod adds mod points to a warframe, Stance mods add mod points to a melee weapon.

7 - Power: It's all in the cards   

Spoiler

Your arsenal includes an option to auto install mods. Do not use it. It selects mods with the highest "conclave rating". The system is very unbalanced, and a lot of the highest conclave rated mods are in fact, borderline useless or very situational.

Mods are EVERYTHING in Warframe. All Warframe enemies, endless missions, and rare containers have a chance to drop mods. Mods can be installed, swapped around, and uninstalled at any time. You can own every weapon and frame, but without mods, you will only survive the earliest levels. The tutorial starts you off on farming mods by giving you a Redirection mod. Treasure this. We used to have to farm for that stupid thing.

Mods always start as "unranked", and get improved with the fusion process on the mods screen. There are different power levels for every mod. Some can be upgraded 3 times (from rank 0 to rank 3), others can go to rank 10. Depending on the mod, rank 0 can cost anywhere from 2-10 mod points.

All mods have a Polarity. They are listed, named, and described below
Madurai - V (Damage)
Vazarin - D (Defensive, Health, Armor, Stamina)
Naramon - Dash (Tactically useful) 
Zenurik - Scratches (Warframe Augments and Channeling Mods)
Penjaga - Vertical line with accent dots (Sentinel/Kubrow Abilities) 
Koneksi - O (Fusion Cores- removed for now) 
Unairu - Curvy mark with a spike - Melee Stance Mods.

Installing mod to slots with matching polarity will cut the cost in half. Thus a 6 point Hellfire mod only costs 3 points if installed in a slot with matching Naramon bar polarity. 

Warframes have a special slot for Aura mods, which grant bonuses to the entire team, as well as bonus points to your frame's mod capacity.

Melee weapons have a special slot for Stance mods, which offer new combos for combat, as well as bonus points to your weapon's mod capacity.

From time to time, usually after a developer livestream, the solar system will have an alert mission you can run that nets you special consumable blueprints for a reactor or a catalyst. Reactors go to frames/sentinels/kubrow/Archwings, Catalysts go to weapons. Installing one supercharges your weapon, sentinel, or frame, and gives you a permanent 2x multiplier to your mod points, even if you reset it later with Forma. (I.E. You won't lose the catalyst or reactor)

Working with mods: 
Walk down the ramp of your Liset, and activate the mod console to the left. - or -
Escape-Equipment-Mods also brings you to the mods screen. - or -
You can activate the mods screen from the upgrade screen in the Arsenal as well. 
You will visit this a lot. 
Mods have grey icons for categories, all mods, installed mods, warframe mods, sentinel mods, etc... 
Clicking on a mod gives options on what to do with it, fusion, transmutation, selling or dissolve. Click on a mod and then click on Fusion above it. Now you can spend Endo to improve it.

Endo is how you improve the level of your mods. We used to use Fusion Cores for upgrading. Silver Grove converted cores into raw Endo. (Legendary fusion cores however were preserved if you had any.) Distilling mods turns them into more endo.

Some people save up multiple copies of all the mods for trading, many of us just stockpile for fusion fuel and trading. Some people sell copies of mods for spare credits, which can be a big help in the early game, when you lack the power granted by having tons of rare mods equipped on all your gear, and credits can be hard to find, especially if you are trying to do missions solo.

Getting your mods to high levels is absolutely needed to survive later missions and planets. Farming up the Endo to improve your mods is a huge part of the game.

Mods also have a rarity. This determines how likely they are to appear when their respective enemies drop a mod. Mods are also tied to enemy types, so you will never see a Serration[warframe.wikia.com] drop from a Corpus Crewman. Rarity affects the value of selling the mod for credits back to the market and how much Endo they provide when distilled. Some common mods are much more useful than a rare, especially depending on your playstyle. A max "Uncommon" Serration is a useful trading commodity, and people are willing to pay platinum for it. A max rare Rapid Resilience is almost useless, so despite higher rarity, unwanted.

8 - Getting Frames   

Spoiler

In order to build a Warframe in your foundry, you'll need a number of components:
Main Blueprint (Often available in market for credits)
Chassis Blueprint
Neuroptics Blueprint
Systems Blueprint.

These components can be acquired from a number of possible sources
Alerts can drop Vauban parts.
Clan Research unlocks a number of frames (Volt, Banshee...)
Eximus Enemies drop Oberon Parts
Manic Enemies drop Ash Parts
Planet Bosses each associate to a specific frame, dropping the set eventually.
Quests are used for some frames (Limbo, Chroma, Titania)
Void Fissure missions can drop Prime component blueprints. (See Farming)

After acquiring the Systems, Chassis, and Neuroptic blueprints, the 3 parts can be built in the foundry. Next, you can go to the market to purchase the main warframe blueprint. After building the 3 parts, (12 hours usually), you can use the Main blueprint to combine them in a 72 hour build.

Unless you have a spare Warframe slot, you will not be able to claim your new Warframe.

9 - Making Things Die    

Spoiler

Warframe has 2 main flavors of damage: Physical Damage, and Elemental Damage.

There are 3 types of physical damage in Warframe. Impact, Puncture, and Slash. Impact is best against shields, Puncture is best against Armor, and Slash is best against health.

Elemental damage types are: heat, electricity, toxin, and cold. If two elements are used, they combine. Heat+Cold makes Blast, for example. A third element will remain solo unless combined with a 4th.

By adding up all 3 physical damages, you get a damage total. Serration/ Hornet Strike/ Heavy Caliber get applied for a boosted damage total. Elemental damage stack from the boosted total to compute their bonus damage.

Mods giving Impact/Puncture/Slash do NOT STACK with elemental mods, so use those mods only on weapons featuring one very high physical damage stat.

All elements do SOME extra damage to all enemies. Certain enemies will suffer a ton of extra damage, others will suffer less extra damage. There is a huge balancing act with different enemy factions having different inherent armor types, so what's awesome against corpus will be less awesome vs Grineer. 

This guide isn't going to go into tons of detail on damage 2.0. Suffice it to say that the wiki is your best bet. This has it all listed out. [warframe.wikia.com]

Sneaking up on an enemy undetected offers stealth kill bonuses, you will be able to inflict much higher damage.

Every weapon has a stat for critical damage. For example 1.5x/10%. This means a critical hit is 10% likely, and it will do 1.5x the damage. If you had a gun that was set up to do a perfect 100 damage per shot, a critical hit would then do 150.

Critical Chance can be boosted with mods. However, a mod giving you +30% to critical will not change your 10% into a 40%. These mods are a percent of your WEAPON'S PERCENT. They don't get added, they get multiplied. Thus, if your gun had a 10% critical chance, this mod would give you an extra 30% out of your 10. So, 30% of 10% is 3%. This mod would boost you from 10% to 13%.

A 100% Critical Chance bonus merely doubles your chances.

Now, some weapons with good critical chances of 20% or more can be boosted to have a final rating of MORE THAN 100, like 125%. In this case, you are guaranteed a critical hit for the 100%. The remainder is the chance for a "red crit" which does nearly double the damage of a normal crit. This article has the math explained[warframe.wikia.com]

Status works in much the same way. Each element has unique side effects if activated. So a gun with 10% status chance, and a +100% status mod would have a final status chance of 20% to inflict the status of whatever elements are on the gun. Fire can set enemies on fire. Corrosive will reduce armor and deal damage over time. Radiation can cause confusion. Again, check the wiki for specifics.

10 - Foundry: BUILDING ALL THE THINGS!    

Spoiler

Check the farming section below for specifics, but essentially, killing enemies, looting lockers, and smashing chests gives you materials. 

The Foundry is where you use those materials. 

By purchasing blueprints from the market (or obtaining them as mission rewards), you can now spend credits and materials to build that new thing you want. You need to make sure you have a slot prepared for it, or you won't be able to claim your new thing. That might be a great use of platinum, hint-hint.

Sometimes you will need to farm for rare components to build an item. Primed weapons are shiny ornate versions of existing weapons dating back to the Orokin designs, often with increased stats, and they require special parts that you will have to search for. Warframes themselves are composed of 3 separate parts, each of which you must build first (12 hours) before you can actually build the frame itself (72 more hours). You will need to kill key boss characters to get the blueprints for making the Chassis, the Systems, and the Neuroptics to many Warframes. If you have all of those, you can go to the market to get the Warframe's primary blueprint, and start building away.

11 - Planets   

Spoiler

The front of your Liset has a nav console. (It's shaped like Starship Enterprise). Accessing it brings up a map of the solar system showing available planets. Mousewheel zooms in and out.

At first, very few things will be available, you'll see the missions and nodes, but they will be locked away. As you complete a mission, you unlock access to all adjacent nodes, eventually reaching boss fights (assasinations), and Junctions leading to new Planets.

Junctions - http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Junction
Returning Players: If you had a planet unlocked before, it's still unlocked now. Have fun, complete the junctions if/when you want.

Everyone: To unlock a planet, go to the previous planet by following the strings and finding the way "in" to the planet. The previous planet will have a "junction mission". The junction mission presents you with a to-do list. Completing all the checkmarks on the to-do list allows you to drop the forcefields in the junction entry room. 

Next, you will kill a warframe specter, complete that junction mission, opening the planet ahead of you. 

Each mission node lists the level of enemies found in that mission. Your affinity level is completely irrelevant to the level of the enemies in that mission. You can be Mastery 10, with a rank 30 Rhino, and a level 20 mission will destroy you if you are modded poorly, or using weak mods.

Completed mission nodes are fully illuminated. Available (but unbeaten) mission nodes have a medium brightness, and unavailable missions are dim. 

A special type of mission node is the Player Relays. These are multiplayer public hubs where you can walk around and check out other players and their gear. Each syndicate has it's own room, and the void trader, Baro Ki'Teer shows up here. Walk into any relay, and if he is in the system, large text in the main room will tell you where he is, which planet he is on. If he's arriving soon, you will see the countdown for that as well. If there is no countdown or update, then he's not in the game, and won't be showing up for a while, and nothing you do will speed that up. [/spoiler]
12- Enter the Void: Keys Not Included   
Welcome to the Orokin Void. Here, you will explore a new tileset with enemies that are Corrupted by Orokin Technology, and mind-controlled to protect the treasures held here. Be cautious; floor plates will respond to your weight, activating doors, unlock walls, and turn on very dangerous traps.

You will see Orokin Spheres which activate to either release a pounding shockwave, or rotate and emit rather deadly lasers. You can shoot laser emitters to disable them, you can shoot the popped up tops to destroy the laser rotation on the laser spheres and disable the shockwave spheres. Do enough damage to exposed internals and they will start to glow orange, then overheat, then explode. It's generally not advised to stand next to them during this explosion.

Some of the floor plates will unlock new rooms with a time limit to enter. Move too slowly, and a door closes off, locking that section away permanently. Chances are, you will miss the obstacle course and/or treasure rooms inside on your first forays into the Void. Keep your eyes open, and you will learn to recognize the various rooms that lead to these sections.

Containers here can be hidden, and when opened, have a chance to drop a randomized mod. Some mods are exclusive to the void, and this is the only way to get them. Take note, these mods are not the same for everyone in the squad. You might get a Flow for example, but your squad mates might all get Redirection, Shotgun Spazz, and Guardian. 

In the market, you can buy blueprints for Orokin Derelict keys. The Orokin Derelict keys lead you to final end-game content. Here you will face a new challenge.

You can also build Dragon Keys! Well, you can buy dragon key blueprints. These get equipped as gear in your arsenal. You can choose to take a Decaying, Hobbled, Bleeding, or Extinguished Dragon Key. Each cripples your character severely, and as the game tells you, you can only take one with you. In your dojo, go to the Orokin research lab. Up the stairs to your left is a console to research solar rails. Secretly, this console also lets you buy the blueprints to the dragon keys.

You see, Orokin Derelicts offer a special vault where you can get corrupted artifacts. (Except for Orokin Defense. I've never found a vault in Orokin Defense missions) If your key opens that vault, you get to collect the artifact for the team. (That is, the whole team will get the artifact after you collect it.) At mission completion, the Random Number Generator converts that to a Corrupted Mod for everyone to get a copy of.

A team of 4 Tenno can each take one different key, and thus guarantee that SOMEONE has the key to open the door to the vault.

Once the corrupted artifact is collected, all remaining enemies will be changed to corrupted versions, so the fight could get much harder.

13 - Catalysts, Reactors, Exilus and Forma: More power, More grind.  

Spoiler

Catalysts supercharge weapons. 
Reactors supercharge... everything else. (Frames, Kubrow, Archwings, Sentinels)
Supercharged "things" get 2 mod points per affinity level instead of one.
Forma is a relatively uncommon resource used to change a polarity slot. 
Exilus Adapters unlock the extra "Exilus Mod" slot on your Warframes.
All of these are used from within the Arsenal screen.

Reactors, Exilus Adapters, and Catalysts come strictly from login rewards, rare alerts/missions, and platinum purchases. Forma come from all of those, as well as a potential reward from ANY void mission. As paid-for-with-plat resources, NONE are trade-able.

If you have Reactors, Exilus Adapters, or Catalysts in your inventory, you can use them from the Arsenal screen under "actions" when you're looking at your installed mods. Just click to apply, and enjoy the boost in mod energy points.

Forma is a bit different. To change polarities on anything, that "thing" must be affinity 30. Then, the piece of forma is used up on a particular slot, and the item in question, be it weapon, sentinel, or Warframe, is reset to affinity 0, but with the new polarity slot you chose. You will have to re-level the item back up. The good news is that it becomes easier with each forma, because you can put on more powerful mods,more quickly and kill bigger things sooner. However, in the case of a Warframe, you do temporarily lose all of your powers, and have to start from scratch again.

Forma is also used as a building material for 
Some weapons
Dojo rooms
Some Dojo decorations.

14- Farming, or How I learned to love the grind.   

Spoiler

Resource Farming
Every planet in Warframe has a list of materials dropped, it is shown on the navigation screen. Zoom in on a planet and roll your mouse over the "Extractor" button in the lower right. The materials will scroll up from the button to show what the planet offers.

While running through the game, enemies and lockers will drop ammo packs, red health orbs, blue energy orbs, mods and various materials. Materials come in both common and rare varieties, and veteran players farming for particular ones will often join early missions as it not only helps out new players trying to get through the map, but also provides a way of getting specific materials for minimal risk and hassle. Hey, just because we have 25 Warframes and 4 dozen weapons with incredible mods doesn't mean we're done. There is always something new and shiny to build in the Foundry!

This means that you may be unable to get Neural Sensors or Orokin Cells until you unlock Jupiter and Saturn. Check the planet map on the wiki for specifics.

As the number of enemies you've killed reaches the tens of thousands, you'll find the materials, so "endless missions" are your go-to choices. (Defense, Excavation, Interception, Survival). Most of the time there is NO best spot for ANYTHING. You just simply have to kill more enemies. Many players want to optimize their game and farm the best things in the the most efficient manner. Well, Warframe doesn't work that way except in some temporary cases. You will never farm morphics the best way. You just have to kill things. Admittedly, this is one of my most frustrating questions I see on Region chat.

While farming endless missions, you may be trying to reach a specific "rotation". Each mission has a point at which a new reward is generated. The rewards stack, so the longer you stay, the larger your haul will be when you finally extract. 

The rotations progress as A-A-B-C. 

Survivals progress to the next rotation at 5 minute increments. (So rotation C occurs every 20 minutes.) 
Interceptions go to a new rotation at the end of each round. (Therefore rotation C requires 4 waves of enemies.)
Excavations use each full excavator as a rotation.
Defense Missions go to a new rotation every 5 waves. (Rotation C means 20 waves, again.)

Prime Farming
When you want to farm prime components, You will need to enter the Orokin void and run Void Fissure missions. Fissures are rifts, or tears, or cracks in the time/space continuum.
Orokin Fissure missions are now littered through the solar map. The missions come in varying strengths, from 1-4 swishies. (No clue what they are called, they look like swishy things)

Choosing a Fissure mission allows you to select a "void relic" to bring with you. Each relic has a list of potential rewards it can turn into if claimed. In other words, each Relic has its own drop table.

In order to use your relics, you need a relic segment, available from the Mars Junction mission.
Go to Earth, the junction leading to Mars gives you the list of tasks needed to open the junction.
Once done, the junction opens up, and you will fight a Warframe Specter. For me it was Frost. He can kill you if you bring low level gear and are only half paying attention. (Actually happened to my friend when he grabbed a bite of food, came back, and realized that an enemy was slamming bullets into his skull.) Upon selecting a void fissure mission, you will be prompted to equip a relic of your choice. This determines what reward table you will use when you succeed.

Upon finding the fissure, you can activate it, spawning higher level enemies. These enemies drop energy orbs for you to pick up. After acquiring 10 reactant orbs, your relic is activated. Once everyone has gotten 10 reactant orbs (shown by a counter on screen), the team can extract and claim items from the drop tables.

If each player equips different relics, then you can have up to 4 different reward tables.

At the end of the mission, you are presented with the ability to choose a reward from someone else, or your own relic. It appears that your relic is used up either way.

Relics can be rewarded by endless missions, and possibly rare crates, as well as syndicate rewards. You can only upgrade a particular relic ONCE. 

Void traces are collected by running Fissure missions and alerts. You can spend traces on a relic to upgrade it. Upgrading relics improves the chance of getting a rare item. 

Currently, there are exactly 4 missions on the solar map worth noting:

- Alad V on Themisto Jupiter has a chance to drop 1-4 Neural Sensors. (I have bad luck with that, and as a Vet player with top-tier equipment, I don't feel that he's worth it)

- Sargus Ruk on Tethys, Saturn: Killing him gives a slightly higher chance at getting orokin cells.

- Orokin Derelict keys, built with blueprints in the market place, offer a chance at extra mutagen masses and Orokin cells on Orokin Derelict Defense.

- Orokin Derelict Assasination puts you up against Lephantis, who usually drops 1-4 cells, and often an Equilibrium mod.

Dark Sectors are special mission nodes. Clans and Alliances were able to fight for control over these missions, and can levy a tax on the credits and resources earned there. (They are currently locked from being fought over due to the PvP overhaul). You fight infested on these nodes, and gain heavy credit and affinity rewards. They are no longer as easy as they used to be, seeing as how the infested have been expanded to include more deadly enemy types.

That's it. There is nothing more to farming, no super techniques, no other best places. You just have to kill lots of things.

15- The Dojo, The Clan   

Spoiler

Here you can design your very own clan dojo[warframe.wikia.com]. A lot of the functions of the dojo come into play during later stages of the game. All rooms require Forma, which new players are not going to get a lot of. Don't worry. Sooner or later you'll score some, and you can create your own clan. You can also join an existing clan, and pool your resources into their efforts. 

Joining or founding a clan gives you a clan dojo key. You build it in your foundry for 500 credits, and the wiki lists a 12 hour build. Clans start off as Ghost clans with a max of 10 members.

Founding a clan is easy. Select the communication Menu, then "Clan", and towards the bottom, click "Start you own clan". Now you can name it. Upon completion, your new clan dojo will have a great hall, but nothing else. For one forma, you can make a trading post, which I HIGHLY recommend you do early, if you start your own clan.

Dojos require energy (provided by reactor rooms), and you can build research labs to allow you to research Clan-Exclusive "stuff". 

Dojo Research: 
In order to do any research, you must first build an Oracle. This room simply unlocks the research labs. Next you'll have to start branching off hallways to give you the labs, and leave room for another power reactor. At 24 hours a piece for each room and hallway, this is not a fast endeavor.

Each research lab offers a chain of items to research to unlock for all clan members to use. Once completed, individual clan members can replicate blueprints for that thing, and build it in their character's foundry.

Research is NOT cheap, it's not fast, but it's the only non-platinum way to get certain items, weapons, and frames.

Dragon Keys are researched in the Orokin Lab, up the stairs, to the far left. The console for researching solar rails contains Dragon Key Blueprints.

Be careful with buiding barracks. They upgrade your clan to larger sizes. Upgrading your clan will increase build and research costs according to the following. Shadow (x3), STORM (x10), MOUNTAIN (x30), and MOON (x100). 

Downgrading a clan was implemented in Update 18. So long as you reduce your membership to the correct amout, you can downgrade the clan and destroy the barracks.

16- Warframe's Story   

Spoiler

The following is carefully written to avoid outright spoilers:
There isn't a lot to go on history wise, but here is what we know for sure: A long time ago there was an empire, the Orokin Empire. We don't know exactly who the Orokin were, but they were almost certainly human. The Orokin decided to try exploring another dimension called the Void. We don't know exactly why. The Orokin encountered a race known as the Sentients, and a war between the two erupted. We also don't know exactly who the Sentients were. 
Some Orokin soldiers could control void energies. The orokin built "Frames" for these soldiers, magnifying, enhancing, or altering their powers. 
The Technocyte virus comes from the void. It is a nano virus that changes life forms into the infested. Infested are not-completely-organic life forms, and part of an all-consuming hive mind. Infested "Bosses" have the ability to communicate, and state that we are like the infested, or the same as the infested and should join them.

At some point, we, the Tenno, decided that our Orokin Masters were bad and at some sort of ceremony with drums, we slaughtered them all. One of the lower caste warriors, a guardian, witnessed our actions and survived. He swore revenge for our actions, and then built his own tenno-killing weapons named Dread, Despair, and Hate. He also practiced really hard at being immortal until he figured it out, then worked out Teleportation, Excalibur's Slash Dash, and how to ignore and dispel all of our powers. He merely goes by the title of Stalker.

We also know that the Orokin had some pretty impressive technology. A solar rail system (we don't know what that really is) allowed rapid transport (how fast? Good Question! Moving on!) throughout the solar system. They had advanced robotics, force fields, anti-grav technology, space ninja magic, mind control powers, the ability to access parallel realities, and could make Artificial Intelligences. AI systems are called Cephalons. 

Lotus is a survivor from the Orokin Wars, now acting as a guide to us. Her goals are: 
1 - ensure our survival.
2 - maintaining a balance between the conflicting forces of Grineer, Corpus, and the unrelenting Infested.
3 - Prevent the Sentients from invading again

One of the early Devstreams on Twitch TV stated Dark Sector was a predecessor to Warframe's universe. This has since been recanted and the lore revised.
The grineer, the Burston, a prototype of Nyx, and Jackal were present in dark Sector, and a CIA operative named Hayden Tenno wore a prototype Excalibur suit, he gained a glaive weapon, presumably because Krull was just awesome as all hell if you grew up in the 80s.

17 - Assasins in my inbox!    

Spoiler

Assasins have become a big part of Warframe. A few basic things, each assasin has a different method by which you earn a "mark", meaning you've been marked for dead. There is a small (like 2% chance, I think, of the assasin(s) appearing in a mission. It is possible to have multiple "stacked" marks as well. Whether the assasin(s) kills you, or vice versa, the mark is "consumed". Finally, if multiple characters are marked by the same assasin, the liklihood of seeing that assasin is added up, so double chance for 2 marked tenno, quadruple chance if all 4 of you are marked.

Prior to arrival, assasins (and Syndicate hit squads) will be announced with flickering lights (EVEN OUTSIDE! EPIC SUNLIGHT POWERS ACTIVATE), and various other special effects.

Stalker: is the first assasin. He is an ancient orokin survivor from the old wars. He's mentioned briefly in the lore section. Stalker will hunt you down if you kill a boss character. It's not guaranteed, mind you, but with every boss kill, you get a chance at getting marked by Stalker. Stalker has a small chance of ambushing you an any mission. 

Grustrag Three: These grineer assasins are sent out by Vey Hek himself. During any invasion, if you fight against the Grineer, choosing to support the corpus for three missions will earn you a Grustrag Three Mark. They can spawn in during any other grineer mission. Lotus will advise you to evac, and not fight them. The G3 each have chances of dropping parts for Brakk.

If the G3 kill you, you will be encapsulated in an energy bubble by one of their sentinels, and a "restraining bolt" will be installed. From this point on, your damage vs Grineer will be hampered. Lotus will send you a blueprint immediately to let you build a bolt release. After building the release, the bolt is automatically removed when you claim it.

Zanuka is the Corpus assasin. By supporting Grineer in any invasion, you gain hatred from Alad V, who will send a Zanuka Hunter after you, once you complete three anti-corpus missions. Zanuka can spawn in any Corpus mission, and has a chance to drop Detron parts.

If zanuka kills you, your warframe will be taken captive into Alad V's lab, to be disected and re-engineered. HI VALKYR! Your warframe becomes unusable until you complete the "escape" mission. That warframe will need to break out of a cell, get past the guards completely unarmed (you can punch them though), recover your secondary, then recover your primary, and your powers. Then you can extract.

18- Player Relays    

Spoiler

DE added multiplayer hubs to Warframe in the form of Player Relays[warframe.wikia.com]. These hubs exist on a few different planets, and each has an identical map. Player relays are the only maps in the game NOT hosted by a player in your group. Player relays have Mastery requirements to access them.

Relays can be found on Mercury, Venus, Earth, Saturn, Europa, Eris, and Pluto. There were more relays but we, as players, were unable to defend them during the Fomorian event, which may have been partly scripted just to let us know that there was a risk of losing them. New Balor Fomorians (Vey Hek's mega-death space-destroyers) can attack relays and it will be up to us Tenno to run the mission and successfully defend the relay. Failure means it also will be destroyed.

Each of the 8 syndicates has a room in the back of the relay.

The void trader, Baro Ki'Teer, appears in the central hallway of the relay. You can enter any relay to see if he is in the system. If so, the Ducat kiosks tell you when he leaves, and where he is at. If he is showing up in the next 24 or so hours, that information will also be displayed. If the kiosks make no mention of the trader, then he is neither in the system, nor expected to arrive any time soon. 

Baro Ki'Teer only appears every 2 weeks or so.

An NPC named Maroo has salvaged a destroyed relay to open up a trading bazaar. See the section on Trading for more info.

19- Syndicates 

Spoiler

Syndicates are extra factions[lmgtfy.com] or groups that you can ally with. Running missions to please one syndicate will lower the opinions of others. Each offers specific rewards. There are two "neutral" syndicates you can rank up in, and not anger any other factions while doing so. Cephalon Simaris and Conclave syndicates are neutral.

Perrin Sequence, Red Veil, Steel Meridian and the others all form a balancing act. Making one love you angers it's enemies, who will send hit squads to murder you in game, randomly. The more they hate you, the lower your ranking in the syndicate drops, reaching NEGATIVE ranks, with deadlier hit squads to hunt you.

Once a syndicate dislikes you, you will have to run missions for them in order to begin hating you less. Once you have gotten them to like you enough, you can improve your rank. This applies to the negative "hate" ratings as well.

Improving your ranking in a syndicate requires a tribute of credits and materials, and in some cases, reactors, catalysts, and prime item pieces.

20- Companions: Kubrow, Sentinels, Kavats, and Extractors   

Spoiler

There are 3 types of companions currently; Kubrow, Kavats, and Sentinels

Sentinels
Sentinels are mechanical, or biomechanical pets that fly over your shoulder in game. Each has abilities that helps you in some way. DethCube loves to shoot things and blind people who get too close, Carrier increases and transmutes ammo, Shade can cloak you in an invisibility field when enemies are spotted. Choosing a Sentinel can really help you survive, or make missions less stressful.

All Sentinels perform a Loot Vacuum function, allowing you to automatically pull in mods, resources, and credits.

You can buy special cosmetic decorations for your sentinel with platinum.

Kubrow
Kubrow were the various dog breeds used in the Orokin Empire, there are now 5 sub species. Wild kubrow now roam Earth, and to the new player they can offer a noticeable danger. To a Warframe Player, a tamed Kubrow can offer a welcome bit of help in missions. Prideofshadows wrote an in-depth guide on Kubrow[forums.warframe.com] that covers things more fully, if the following paragraphs aren't enough.

After killing Jackal you get access to the "Howl of the Kubrow"[warframe.wikia.com] quest in the codex. The quest leads you to Earth missions where you can try to farm for a Kubrow Egg. Destroy the dens, over and over, and if you are as lucky as I was, after 15 missons or so, you'll get your Kubrow egg. I don't remember if the incubator segment comes first or not. Regardless, enjoy the farming.

You can only have one kubrow egg at a time, so if you find 2 of them, you just lose out. Isn't that wonderful news? The good news is that as you're destroying the dens to find an egg, you'll have the opportunity to slaughter hundreds of feral Kubrow, and in doing so, get the Kubrow specific mods needed to make your puppy suck less in battle.

With incubator segment and kubrow egg, you can now spend 12 hours building an Incubator Power Core, which requires the blueprint (available in the market). Once that's done, you can now begin to hatch the Kubrow egg. The egg takes 12 hours to hatch, after which you will have a chubby looking Kubrow puppy. After 3 days (but there is no timer to give you the countdown, it's actually 3 daily resets) your Kubrow puppy will mature into a Kubrow adult. You can claim your Kubrow and give it a name. 

With your adult, named Kubrow by your side, you can now take on the final quest to get a Collar for your dog, allowing you to take it in to further missions. I believe it's a 5-wave defense. Survive 5 waves, and get your collar. You can now equip your kubrow in the arsenal and take it to missions. A properly modded Kubrow can do large amounts of damage to enemies.

Your adult Kubrow will immediately begin to die. Every day, it will lose 10% of its health, from +100% down to -90%. Once your Kubrow hits -100% it's forever dead, Ordis chucks its frozen carcass out of your liset, and then sends you an email to let you know.

The only way to keep your dog from dying is to buy a pack of DNA stabilizers. See, in order to get an obedient dog that won't murder you, you have to corrupt it's DNA to make it match the old Orokin DNA patters, but this overwrite isn't permanent, and is in fact, lethal to the dog unless a constant string of stabilization treatments are provided. 

The degredation can be slowed down by constructing an incubator upgrade segment, which will automatically refrigerate your kubrow before it dies, and allows you to speed up hatching and thawing.

Stabilizers cost 75,000 credits for a pack, and each stabilizer restores 40% of your dog's health, so it will cost continual money to keep your dog from dying.

Each of the species is worth 6000 mastery points[/spoiler]

Kavats
Kavats are the latest pets. They are half Cat and half Bird. They combine two things that hate each other. Also, half adorable, half creepy.

You need a few things to make a Kavat. 
1 - Scan Orokin Derelict Kavats to get imprints.
2 - Harvest Kavat segment blueprints from Grineer missions, they drop from Hyekkas. OR you can research the Kavat Upgrade in the Dojo.
3 - It appears you'll need a Kubrow egg to mutate into a Kavat.
4 - You'll also need an argon to build the segment after you get 10 imprints.

We currently have 2 species of Kavats, Smeeta and Adarza.
- Smeeta Kavats deploy a decoy and grant a random buff to the Tenno (powers cost 0, additional rare resource, among others.
- Adarza Kavats grant increased critical hits and reflect damage.

Extractors are special robots that you can dispatch to planets to farm continually while you are offline. They can be destroyed, so you have to check on them. They also will not gather huge amounts of rare materials, so some players may not find them to be needed.

In order to deploy an extractor, you must complete EVERY node on a planet. If a planet is updated with extra mission nodes, you lose the ability to deploy extractors there until you clear the new nodes.

21- Trading  

Spoiler

Once you attain Mastery 2, you are allowed to trade with other players. At this point, the list of things you can not trade is:
Materials such as control modules, nanospores, neural sensors, rubedo, etc...
Platinum-bought items such as Catalysts, Forma, and Cosmetics.
Normal market weapons.

Thus you can trade mods, unlevelled syndicate weapons, unlevelled void trader weapons, prime components, arcane enchantment blueprints, event resources such as beacons, orokin ciphers and extracts, and the no-longer-farmable arcane helmets.

In order to trade, you must be in a clan dojo with a Trading Post decoration. It does not have to be your own dojo, you can be invited to someone else's dojo. Even if you do not have a dojo, a friendly player can invite you and someone else to their dojo so you can use that trading post to trade with another player.

Immediately after achieving Mastery 2, you must wait for the daily account refresh to use the trading post.

Trade chat has adopted a set of acronyms and abbreviations to shorten how much typing you need.
WTT - Want to trade (Rarely used by sellers, it's all about Platinum)
WTB - Want to Buy
WTS - Want to Sell
B - Buying
S- Selling
P- Platinum
So someone who types "S Primed Flow 150p" is selling a Primed Flow for 150 Platinum.

Keep your eye on credit trade taxes. All trades will cost credits depending on the rarity of the mods. Legendary and primed mods will cost you 1 million credits, plus whatever the clan tax % might be.

Finally, we have a node on Earth, Maroo's Bazaar. Housed in the Remnants of a damaged Tenno Relay, Maroo has been able to set up a trading post. We assume that the trade tax there is her cut to pay the bills. Here, players can simply use the gear menu to open up a vendor mode, and display wares for sale. Any player regardless of clan or dojo can arrive and trade with the tenno around them.

22- Archwings! Magical space ninjas IN SPACE!   

Spoiler

At Mastery 2, you can go to the codex and activate the Archwing Quest![warframe.wikia.com] Archwings are a space shooter game type, where you have infinite ammunition, fly at insane speeds, and cover maps that stretch out to over 4 kilometers in distance. Some players love Archwings, others find it droll. I'll just say that it is phenomenally entertaining for me, and it's a fantastic change of pace. Now, if only we could get Nav Points working.

It's easy to get flipped around in flight, pressing Q re-centers your archwing.

There are 3 key parts to the Archwing quest:

Tessera, Venus. A Sabotage Mission will get you an orokin archive containing information about the archwing.
There are three Corpus caches in the void part of this mission. The marked cache contains the archive. All can be found before reversing the portal. The second cache can drop resources, and the last cache MIGHT drop Prime blueprints and Forma.

Farming: E Gate, Venus. Each successful excavation will yield a random Odonata component blueprint. You need all three Odonata part blueprints, it can get grindy.

Intel Espionage: Montes, Venus - Infiltrate a Corpus Ship to get info on the Grineer Balor Fomorians. Extract gets entertaining.

After getting an archwing you get access to both outer-space missions, and a number of Uranus missions have underwater components, where you will need to rely on your archwing's life support to take you through the water. In other words, if you want to kill Tyl Regor, you need an Archwing.

23- Failing Mastery Tests! A Bonus section.    

Spoiler

So you killed a lot of enemies, and got some affinity, and then attained so much affinity that you were eligible for your first mastery test. Then, you were slaughtered. I've talked to a lot of people in game who suffer from this.

Well, I get it man. I haven't had to do this in a while, and when I did, it was easier than what you're going through. You're gonna have to slaughter a bunch of Corpus, and this is going to suck. Your starting weapons aren't doing ANYTHING to these guys.

Current theory on making the test easier. Go to the market place. Primary Weapons, not Primary Blueprints. In Primary Weapons, for 25k, you can get the Braton. With lower accuracy, it looks like a downgrade from your MK1 options, but the fire rate and increased damage will be needed for this test. Most importantly, the impact damage will help kill the corpus.

Guys, do me a favor, and tell me how it works out for you. I just don't want to re-farm my way there again. Oh crikey no.

Next, read about your mastery test on the wiki. Each Master Rank in the game has a test to take in order to reach it. This Wiki Article[warframe.wikia.com]will tell you all about them. Research what you need to do, and prepare yourself. Many of these tests are easy, some are very much not.

Finally, Cephalon Simaris, in the rear section of any player relay, can be found after going up the elevator tube. He will sell special sanctuary scanners for credits, which are equipped in your gear wheel. These special scanners can scan targets for the sanctuary and earn standing. You can also take practice runs on the mastery tests. (They are over to the right hand side as you enter the sanctuary room). You can play any mastery test up to your next test.

24.1- So long and thanks for all the information  

Spoiler

If you have any other questions, bear in mind that the Warframe Wiki has them all answered. The contributors there have put up huge volumes on everything in the game. Every mod is explained, every enemy. Drop table math equations for RNG rewards.

The Warframe Forums have a fantastic group of contributors who answer questions, and the Players Helping Players section has a stickied thread covering everything you might have missed if you left Warframe for a while.

After reading my guide, you will have all of the basics down and you will know how to find answers to all the easy questions. In the rare event of something you don't know, The forums are a great option to get the information for those odd things that don't fit here.

24.2- My tutorial is over. Now What?    

Spoiler

Welcome to Warframe.

There is no campaign. Warframe is nothing more than a series of randomy generated missions, with little to no connection between them. Although the quests provide a snapshot of lore and universe background, the real story we have is:

The solar system is in chaos. The Grineer seek to conquer, the Corpus seek to buy and sell, and the Infested seek to consume. We the Tenno, are caught in the middle.

Thank you all for your time.  Any errors in this page will not be corrected until the next version of the steam guide.  Any misfiled spoiler tags would be fixed after removing this guide and re-posting it here.  Every time I put the guide on the forums, I have to manually redo the entire guide from start to finish after pasting into a notepad document, and that's annoying.

Edited by EvilKam
fix inconsistency in introduction.

*casts resurrection*  ARISE MY POST, ARISE!

Are you new to Warframe?  Could you kindly read this and tell me if you're glad you read it?  I keep helping new players who are rather lost, and so far, this has been the killer write-up for them.

Ideally, the separate sections could be emailed to players in game, allowing them to reference the guide.  Then, I dunno, maybe an entry in the Codex to keep it available.  This would of course require DE to read my post and say "Kam, great work man, we like it a lot."

New Player here.  This gives me some great info I was cluless about till now.

One more thing, a question really... 

I have used the search function with several permutations of this: New Player Guide to Missions and where/what to look for to advance. 

This Post is thus far the closest I've come across. 

Now I guess I'm looking for more specific info about "I can kill effectively, now what/where do I farm X to get BP's/Mats for X Frame/Weap/Sent at X level? (of course, level being relative) 

And a Thundering response would be: "READ THE WIKI !!!" 

Sadly, I don't have weeks to read about a game I will only get, at most, 1-2 hours a week to play... 

rather be shooting for 30 minutes x 2-4 times a week than reading for that 30 minutes and not getting much trigger time, ya know?
It is unfortunate that nearly whole volumes can be written about a game and it's mechanics and how they tie in and how to make it work to your advantage, but to try to read it takes more time than it does to aquire the game via 56kbps, Install, and grind to end-game...and still be on Chapter 3 of Vol 1 of 9. 

Wiki's.... love/hate 'em.

Anyway, VERY well written "Guide."

+1 Sticky Vote!

Under "Failing Mastery Tests"

It may be helpful to mention the order that the first three tests follow, Rifle, Pistol, then Sword. The Braton definitely helped pass the test (I had already purchased the rifle before I tested so it was easy peasy). I had the Aklato before I took the second test and had a little more trouble than the rifle test, but still passed. I don't particularly care for the Lato or Aklato simply because they don't do much damage. I bought the blueprint and crafted the dual Skana and after getting them leveled a bit I became eligible for the test and passed. The sword test was by far the easiest, but I had also been able to farm for pressure point and I had fury. I would recommend that new players keep the order of these first three tests in mind when leveling their weapons and make sure they have some good damage/crit chance/attack speed or fire rate mods on hand for the tests. The ammunition is unlimited for the duration of the test, so don't fret over trading an ammo mod for a damage mod just for the test. For those who are new to gaming period (like my wife) it may be helpful for you to climb one of the pillars during the firearms tests so you have some cover and the melee Corpus can't reach you.

MDayton, as it says in my guide under Level Notes, the key to farming is simple.  Kill stuff.  The only "magic" missions that exist are the ones I listed, Kappa, and Quirinis.

On retrospect, I should just call it "Farming".  Kill things, loot lockers and chests, and as the number of enemies you've killed reaches the tens of thousands, you'll find the materials.  Most of the time there is NO "best spot" for ANYTHING.  You have to kill more enemies, so essentially, Defense and Survival are your go-to farming spots.  I get it, everyone want to farm the best things the most efficiently.  Well, Warframe doesn't work that way except in some VERY rare cases.  YOu will never "farm morphics the best way".  You just have to kill things.  Admittedly, this is one of my most frustrating questions I see on Region chat.

I get it, you want to do this efficiently.  Warframe does not offer that option, unless you buy prime access packs for $140, and get the 4100 platinum with them, and then you can spend your platinum on materials and weapons instead of farming for them.  Warframe offers grind and headshots.  If you want to go faster, then you can pay to not grind.

Not pay to win, pay to not grind.  Sucks I know, but that's the way it works.  The good news, you no longer have to farm for prime components, Sheldon put that in the game to fight the RNG.

delta3802, those are good points.  I really want to encourage people to find the answers in the wiki as much as possible, and cover only the basics here, however, it wouldn't take a lot of words to include that advice, so I will make updates.

Thank you both for your positive feedback.

Edited by EvilKam

if akfuris is anywhere as good as the dex furis they were giving out. I highly recommend getting that for the secondary weapons test. i haven't made it to the melee test yet but secondary weapon test was a breeze with dex furis

EDIT: ok so akfuris would be pretty tough to get for second test.. but maybe just one furis

Edited by Ima.Trap

Some of the best suggestions I've seen is to know where to focus your efforts. IMO:

Start game, get redirection, pick a frame, level 1 ability, level Redirection as much as you can.

Kill Vor, farm Seer. Start farming 20min appolodorus survivals for Hornet Strike and Serration.

Be sure not to buy weapon BPs when you can't get the materials.

Pick up a impact based weapon for fighting corpus. IMO Karak or Strun. (I believe Karak requires materials beyond earth, not 100% sure tho). If you can't get ether, get Braton.

Pick up a puncture based weapon for fighting Grineer. IMO Lex, Bolto, Furis, Boltor. Check the mats compared to what you can reach.

Best way to level weapons imo is to always have one puncture based weapon, and one impact/slash, switching between based on faction (and sometimes enemy, killing an oxium osprey is much easier with a puncture weapon).

Farm Rhino BPs by killing jackal, but you wont be able to make him for a while. Push through the planets, stopping to farm Ruk/Hek/AladV for materials which should let you build Rhino. Passing Interception on Earth is a total pain, if ou get lucky with enemy spawns or teammate levels you can do it, but the one blocking access to Jupiter is harder, imo. You may want to ask in recruiting for a friendly higher level to help out, or taxi you past.

By now you've got decent weapons, mods, and frames. The game gets considerably easier by this point. I reached this threshold (3 weps of each type and Rhino unlocked, as well as ~4 full planets) by about 9 hours of game time.

Oh, you can ask for taxis to high value alerts, but it carries a risk. If you go to a high level planet, and the G3 spawn, and kill you, they can seriously mess up your progression. I had the unfortune to have this happen to me before I unlocked earth, and it took a few taxis to resource location and some stopping to farm oxium to get the damn thing off.

New guy here

Huge thanks to EvilKam and the other responders in this thread. While I have read several mishmash topics directed to new players, this was the best organized, and most detailed that I came across. Also, no seven million links to videos/wiki pages/other threads. My cheap Walmart smartphone thanks you as well ;) I totally understand referencing the wiki once, and I will certainly get the wealth of my droprate/mod/foundry information there like a good nublet. Being that I not only work but go to college during the day, I try to get my info when out and about so that I can play when I'm home, just as MDayton noted.

My wife and sister (my go-to MMO team) will certainly love to read this when I can get it to them as well. Your guide will definitely get us off the ground much faster than our initial wandering/smashing our heads against impossible survival levels. Three noob Tenno against the Universe!

Again, thanks so much.

~Ray

Updated for Melee 2.0 now!

This is a very hurtful comment... FEEL HURT

Ouch.  I feel the hurt.  It hurts so bad.  :D  (There's like, 5 people from region chat who might have been paying attention closely enough to get this joke.)

This was an excellent post! I have been playing for a few weeks now and everything is still shiny and new =) I've consulted the Wiki and forum posts extensively. One of the things in your guide I had no idea about was that leveling my weapons did absolutely nothing for their base damage. (rude shock) No wonder the corpus on venus are kicking my ninja butt. Have started working on farming now for more mods for my Braton and Mk1 Paris.

I agree completely with the Braton being bought for the mastery1 test. I couldn't complete it until I dumped my bow for the Braton. Thanks for the guide! =)

Updated Gameplay paragraph about hacking to reflect new (ish) Grineer style hacking being different from Corpus/Orokin hacking.  Thanks to all of you for your feedback.  

Sadly, the website ate my update and completely ruined it with html inserts... ugh...  Some cleanup done now, a bit more remains.