Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dual Sidearms - Firing 2Nd Weapon With Alt-Fire

NikolaiLev

I think it would be cool if, instead of zooming with alt-fire, this fired the right-hand weapon instead, while left mouse fired the left-hand weapon.  This would likely change the trigger type to "Dual."  Things like Afuris would become "Dual Auto" instead of just "Auto."

This would serve a few purposes.  It'd give dual sidearms more uniqueness and versatility; you can fire one for half the recoil, and reload it individually (at half the rate, probably) while saving the other weapon for shooting (though doing so would likely pause the reload, continuing it where it left off after shooting is done, or just interrupt the reload).  In exchange, the weapons can no longer zoom, which will further make them inaccurate but DPS-oriented choices.

It'd be a fairly decent way to give single pistols a more unique niche compared to their dual counterparts, since zooming can be important for weakpoint exploitation.

Dual sidearms are overall too much of a blatantly obvious upgrade to single sidearm as it is, this would help make it more of an option as stats favor dual sidearms all over the place.

i agree, there should be at least some downsides to using their dual counterparts

No.

They cost twice as godamn much.

Then they should have reduced cost.

Besides, I feel Warframe should move away from "grind more to get better gear" and more towards "face challenges to gain different, more specialized or more generalist weapons."  It'd be preferable if all dual weapons were like Aklato and simply purchased as a separate blueprint, requiring similar or different materials instead of just requiring two of the weapons.

That, or you should just have an option in the arsenal to wield one or two of the weapons.

i agree, there should be at least some downsides to using their dual counterparts

there already is.

generally dual sidearms get increased reload times and decreased accuracy not to mention they usually cost more than the single counterpart.

two guns are better than one, you cant really change that.

this would just make dual sidearms more annoying to use and really wouldn't add anything to the user experience.

Edited by SPiRALFACToR

I really like this idea.

Right now, Dual sidearms' only downside is greater spread from the single counterpart, and player skill can't offset that downside. The downside needs to be made bigger, yet more controllable.

This change would do exactly that, while making it easier to reach the full potential of semi-auto DPS without resorting to macros or scroll-wheeling.

there already is.

generally dual sidearms get increased reload times and decreased accuracy not to mention they usually cost more than the single counterpart.

two guns are better than one, you cant really change that.

this would just make dual sidearms more annoying to use and really wouldn't add anything to the user experience.

The reload times and decreased accuracy never offset the huge increase in DPS, though.  And "costing more" shouldn't really be a matter of balance, at least not to such a gross degree.

In reality, dual wielding weapons, even weapons as inaccurate as pistols is incredibly impractical.  That's why you never see soldiers doing it.  But the game isn't balanced for realism, that's why it should be balanced for gameplay.  And it's good for gameplay to give players more choices.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it would be cool if, instead of zooming with alt-fire, this fired the right-hand weapon instead, while left mouse fired the left-hand weapon.  This would likely change the trigger type to "Dual."  Things like Afuris would become "Dual Auto" instead of just "Auto."

This would serve a few purposes.  It'd give dual sidearms more uniqueness and versatility; you can fire one for half the recoil, and reload it individually (at half the rate, probably) while saving the other weapon for shooting (though doing so would likely pause the reload, continuing it where it left off after shooting is done, or just interrupt the reload).  In exchange, the weapons can no longer zoom, which will further make them inaccurate but DPS-oriented choices.

It'd be a fairly decent way to give single pistols a more unique niche compared to their dual counterparts, since zooming can be important for weakpoint exploitation.

thats a good idea but sounds complicated, the reload would be an issue, i think duel weapon's stats should stay as is, with double ROF same damage etc but putting the ROF diffrently, so the weapons would shoot at the same time, could be useless and not a good idea but im just suggesting this, i still really liked your idea tho

thats a good idea but sounds complicated, the reload would be an issue, i think duel weapon's stats should stay as is, with double ROF same damage etc but putting the ROF diffrently, so the weapons would shoot at the same time, could be useless and not a good idea but im just suggesting this, i still really liked your idea tho

There's really nothing complicated about it.  Reloading could be done in two ways: either you can only reload a single weapon by auto-reloading it (emptying the magazine), or pressing the reload button once will only reload the weapon with the least ammo left in its magaizine; pressing it twice will start reloading both.

In terms of animation, either each arm would be animated independently (this is easy to do via animation blending), or starting a double-reload in the middle of a single-reload will simply start a double-reload that's a little bit progressed accounting for the time passed in the single-reload.

The weapons shooting at the same time really wouldn't make a difference, except for giving semi-auto dual weapons a little more burst damage, and buffing them is not a good idea.