The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Auto Vsync Is Making My Fps Very Unstable

Aure7

Without vsync I have anywhere from maybe very rarely 50 to 90 or even above 100 fps. I thought that auto sync would simply turn off itself when it drops below 60, and turn itself on when it is needed (fps above 60). But it goes all over the place and on some cases with demanding fog or fx effects it drops to 20 fps or 57 just for brief moments, but the result is unplayable game.

What Verryn said.

From my gaming experience, automatic game settings tend to overestimate your hardware and turn settings higher than they should be (and always turns on Vsync). However, Vsync is a performance hog unless you have a pretty high-end system, so it's usually best to leave it off as the visual smoothness isn't worth a wildly varying framerate when there are multiple particle effects.

On a related note, Nvidia's adaptive Vsync option is the stuff of nightmares...

Edited by Ailith

What Verryn said.

From my gaming experience, automatic game settings tend to overestimate your hardware and turn settings higher than they should be (and always turns on Vsync). However, Vsync is a performance hog unless you have a pretty high-end system, so it's usually best to leave it off as the visual smoothness isn't worth a wildly varying framerate when there are multiple particle effects.

On a related note, Nvidia's adaptive Vsync option is the stuff of nightmares...

Curious - I've had nothing but great experiences with adaptive v sync in all my games.

GTX 660, almost everything on (no physx, DOF, motion blur, color correction). For the most part constant 60 fps except for massive amounts of vortex + enemies.

It also saves the GPU from some stress (and keeps temperatures lower) by not rendering frames that go beyond 60 FPS (that I wouldn't see on my monitor anyways).

Curious - I've had nothing but great experiences with adaptive v sync in all my games.

GTX 660, almost everything on (no physx, DOF, motion blur, color correction). For the most part constant 60 fps except for massive amounts of vortex + enemies.

It also saves the GPU from some stress (and keeps temperatures lower) by not rendering frames that go beyond 60 FPS (that I wouldn't see on my monitor anyways).

that's same for me. Most of the time fps is way above 60 so there is really no point to overstress gpu I guess?

Are you sure that isn't because it just keeps vsync off all the time?

Vsync is a very taxing procedure for something that you won't even notice unless its really badly out of sync. 

My advice to anyone messing with display options, at no point should you ever turn vsync on in any game unless you know for sure you've got muscle to spare in your system.  And even then, question it.  Do you see any vertical tearing?  If the answer is "No", then just leave it off.

Edited by Thaumatos

Are you sure that isn't because it just keeps vsync off all the time?

Vsync is a very taxing procedure for something that you won't even notice unless its really badly out of sync. 

My advice to anyone messing with display options, at no point should you ever turn vsync on in any game unless you know for sure you've got muscle to spare in your system.  And even then, question it.  Do you see any vertical tearing?  If the answer is "No", then just leave it off.

Perhaps Nvidia adaptive v sync just plays nicely. I make sure to disable any ingame v sync so that only the nvidia adaptive v sync is active.

It is constantly running because if I turn it off, my FPS goes way above 60 (I believe above 90..) and my graphics card audibly becomes loader. Temperature + GPU usage also go up as verified by EVGA Precision X.

When my FPS goes above 60, I do notice screen tearing. With adaptive v sync, it runs at a constant 60 and is perfect unless I get a dip below 60.

I'm unsure what you're talking about when you say that v sync is a taxing procedure. For Nvidia adaptive v sync, it actually 'untaxes' systems by telling the GPU to not render frames in excess of 60 FPS, therefore keeping my GPU cooler and quieter.

from http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Vertical_sync_(Vsync)

^copy and paste the entire thing. Forum doesn't seem to want to hyperlink the '(Vsync)' part.

Benefits

• Eliminates tearing by waiting for the monitor to signal it's ready for the next frame.
  • Lower power consumption (and therefore heat and noise) by limiting FPS to what the monitor is able to display.

Disadvantages 

• Introduce extra input lag. Commonly experienced as "mouse lag".
  • May decrease performance if FPS falls below the monitor refresh rate.

Limitations 

• Only available in fullscreen exclusive mode (a borderless fullscreen window does not qualify).
  • Not to be used when benchmarking since the FPS will be capped at the monitors refresh rate.

Nvidia adaptive gets around the 2nd disadvantage listed above because it simply turns itself off if I drop below 60 FPS. Haven't noticed input lag personally, but perhaps my fps is high enough that it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Pythadragon