The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Typhus - The Parasite Warframe

RedSkittlez

wow this is all i wanted from every Warframes that ever came out. the idea of an samurai warframe came to me 3 months ago when i was trying to go to bed at 3 in the morning... i thought about posting it but i thought i had no where near as much as information about what i was thinking so it would have just made me look stupid. POINT IS that you sir have gone done what i was thinking and i want to thank you for this.

See!

Didn't I ask/say wasn't he done? I guess not, hence why he wont be in the game anytime soon. Red cannot/will not keep one design to make it official. Not a bash on the thread or red, just saying to the fanboys who want him in now. This is why it wont be in anytime soon. just my 2¢

See!

Didn't I ask/say wasn't he done? I guess not, hence why he wont be in the game anytime soon. Red cannot/will not keep one design to make it official. Not a bash on the thread or red, just saying to the fanboys who want him in now. This is why it wont be in anytime soon. just my 2¢

Thing with concept artists in the game development industry or anything for that matter (Film makers, game designers, artists, graphics designers, etc) is that you make a concept and revise it over and over and over again till a final produce is developed. Making changes is part of developing concepts. DE may like an old concept or use a future one I may end up making in the future; it depends entirely on them. They don't need to use any of the new designs if they do not want. They will choose what they like best and develop it. Besides, at the end of the day, DE is most likely going to change a few things to fit game standards, what works best with their game engine, and what is less time consuming to make.

Thing with concept artists in the game development industry or anything for that matter (Film makers, game designers, artists, graphics designers, etc) is that you make a concept and revise it over and over and over again till a final produce is developed. Making changes is part of developing concepts. DE may like an old concept or use a future one I may end up making in the future; it depends entirely on them. They don't need to use any of the new designs if they do not want. They will choose what they like best and develop it. Besides, at the end of the day, DE is most likely going to change a few things to fit game standards, what works best with their game engine, and what is less time consuming to make.

with all due respect Red.. in game development, quality is more important than speed of completion.

if you were to draw a concept that would take a day to make..

and a concept that would take a week to make..

if the second concept were to blow their minds they would go for the more time consuming.

you can make 7 acceptable things in a week... or 1 amazing thing in a week.. and that brings us back to the saying: "quality over quantity"

I followed a graphic artist study for a few years and all my teachers had the same opinion

with all due respect Red.. in game development, quality is more important than speed of completion.

if you were to draw a concept that would take a day to make..

and a concept that would take a week to make..

if the second concept were to blow their minds they would go for the more time consuming.

you can make 7 acceptable things in a week... or 1 amazing thing in a week.. and that brings us back to the saying: "quality over quantity"

I followed a graphic artist study for a few years and all my teachers had the same opinion

While it is necessary to have the skills of a fine artist, a concept artist must also be able to work to strict deadlines in the capacity of a graphic designer, i.e thumbnail sketches, provisional sketches and character development etc. Here I have no deadline (and I only work on my free time). Like you said if you make "one quality drawing" and no optional changes, it gives the developer lack of options.

Even though some concept designers work on so many designs on a single concept, it doesn't affect the final outcome.  Prime example, look up Elysium concepts, specifically Kruger. Originally he was a cyborg samurai/ninja thing, but in the end he turned out to be a hobo with an exosuit. They did this to keep  to the aesthetic they were going for in the movie.

And that said, the way the teachers show you how its done and how the industry actually does it are two very different things.  Each company wants the concept art in a particular way, its not going to be the same everywhere.

Edited by RedSkittlez

You guys act like Red is the only thing keeping Typhus from getting in the game. You do realize that its DE's decision in the end, right? They'll base the final design on his concepts to fit the game aesthetic, its doubtful they'll just choose one of his concepts, or whatever one Red finds is the best.  Its their game, they get the final say.

That being said, so what if the fanboys want Typhus in the game now? Is it their design? Did they pay money for this?  Red's allowed to change up whatever he wants, hell, Typhus could get in the game and Red could keep modifying the design. Its his concept and its his satisfaction in the end that really matters.

Keep working on Typhus, bro.  Make him the best that's ever been.

Edited by Blazbaros

You guys act like Red is the only thing keeping Typhus from getting in the game. You do realize that its DE's decision in the end, right? They'll base the final design on his concepts to fit the game aesthetic, its doubtful they'll just choose one of his concepts, or whatever one Red finds is the best.  Its their game, they get the final say.

That being said, so what if the fanboys want Typhus in the game now? Is it their design? Did they pay money for this?  Red's allowed to change up whatever he wants, hell, Typhus could get in the game and Red could keep modifying the design. Its his concept and its his satisfaction in the end that really matters.

Keep working on Typhus, bro.  Make him the best that's ever been.

3254293-i%2Bbelieve%2Bhim%2B_08d696789b3

Ooooh boy! Love the new design, he looks especially sinister.

The one thing I'd change is that quote =p how about like:

"I will break your bones, snap your spine, tear out your heart, your head is MINE!

. . .All of this is true, because it rhymes."

I like the new look. More organic. More chitinous. Still does not fit the game's aesthetics but I guess it's just supposed to go for the whole badass factor.

What are warframe aesthetics these days? Limbo? Hydroid? Oberon? All of those frames have different things going on for them, one looks like they're wearing a jacket, one has a tight body suit, one has a pirate hat and one has a friggin' set of antlers.

So why can't a warframe have chitin armour plating?

Edited by RedSkittlez

Still does not fit the game's aesthetics

Oh hells yes it does, every warframe has a unique look to them and Typhus certain has his. I've seen this kind of comment posted several times in this thread, but no one's really stated as to -why- they believe it doesn't fit the game aesthetic.

What do you think it needs to look like more?

Still does not fit the game's aesthetics.

it's funny how everyone talks about a 'specific aesthetic for frames' while every frame is so radically different from the next.

I mean... just compare Excalibur to Zephyr..

Ex has this smooth and simple look going on... and then Zephyr comes along with all her edges, decorations, and whatnot..

not only that, but almost every concept thread I visit has people hating on the artists for giving their frames the illusion of having eyes, because "warframes don't have eyes"

*cough* Hydroid / Mirage *cough*

not only that, but people are hating on the "samurai" look, not fitting the game..

we have pirates, cowboys, jesters, animals, a paladin, and a freakn 18th century english Gentleman...

and for some weird reason, the Samurai is the weird one of the bunch.

like someone else said before in this thread, which I 100% agree with..

anything fits warframe if DE says it does.

Peace.

This is too darn awesome! Great work dude. If you don't mind me asking, did you go to art school or are you self trained? Your work is just amazing.

And another question: have you thought about the stats of the frame (shields, health, etc)? From the description, I can guess that Typhus would have:

50 for shield @ level 1

100 or 75 for for health @ level 1

125 or 150 for power @ level 1

Those are just guesses, so I would like to see what you think. (I hope no one brought this up already...)

Anyway, keep drawing, you're too good not to! :D

OK so I didn't want to go off topic other than the 2¢ comment, you obviously didn't get the hint so here goes:

1) The fact you come up with concepts is great Red, however, like you stated you work on this in your spare time, you come up with so many ideas how is someone supposed to get a grasp of the concept?

2) With a  new revision every 2-4 months (and yes its really like that) how are people from DE (if they decided to put him in game) going to pick?

3) What if they are going to put him in game and you come up with a new art while they are working on him that they like better, so they stop to make the new concept. How are they ever going to finish him if you wont pick a finalized art?

4) Instead of redrawing him every time you have an idea, why not claim it as a skin?

Towards Blaz:

As an artist I respect you, however I know exactly what a concept artist does and how the mindset works. I don't need you to keep tell me how a game maker decides their things. I've built games from the ground up, ive had to design my own concept art, ive had to pick and choose what goes into it and yes it is their game. What you aren't grasping is the fact I made a comment about how "IF" they want him in game and they are tirelessly working on him, I'd hate to be the guy who keeps having to restart the whole model because someone cant figure out what the final product is going to look like. At some point you have to stop and say this is going to be the final product and stop. Sure he can keep revising all he wants but the reality is this: look at Zephyr and Mesa, the arts were finalized months prior to their release and they are in game now. Red keeps changing the art style and overall aesthetic to the point of why bother starting him if he cant make up his mind. That's all I was stating.