Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Creepy/horror Themed Planet And Missions

Instinction

Infested used to do that, they used to be challanging. But then everyone whined about stagger and it got removed, now you can just walk past everything with no fear. If people didn't like the stagger they should have learned to shoot the runners or avoid them instead of whining, now the infested have a bunch of useless runners.

You were scared as that group of runners kept bouncing you back and forth and the ancient disrupter was comming to ruin your day.

the removal of stagger on pretty much everything has ruined most of the enemies. If you get hit by a railgun you would be knocked down or stagger, not just shrug it off and keep running. Once again, another enemy ruined for a diffrent faction because people whined.

Edited by TheGameYouJustLostIt

Despite how awesome the concept of Warframe being scary is, there is one part of this suggestion that would probably never work, and that is scaling a "scary" enemy based on stats. The funny thing is, that there is no good way of scaling the power of an enemy to gear. As for individual mods and weapons, the sheer amount of combinations possible would make adjusting stats nigh impossible. As for DPS, it's just too iffy. Just making the thing plain strong would be a terrible idea, as it would just serve to irritate newbs, or people using low leveled gear. Perfect examples are the Stalker/Harvester. With a decent team, the Stalker tends to get killed before he can so much as notch an arrow in the Dread, and as for Harvy, we've all seen the results in the Invasions.

Horror in Warframe would have to be handled in a different way, and in my opinion, the Escape mission (From being captured by the Harvester), can be an excellent way to go. It creates the all important sense of powerlessness required for any Horror game. The closest thing right now to horror however, is RNG. I shudder at the very thought of obtaining Ember Prime without purchasing Prime Access...

I thought about this and specifically talking about the monsters in the op regarded as "do want to avoid", basically I think that

a) Conclave rating would have to play a role much more specific than it does now. Regardless of build, your conclave ratings match up with people of your caliber for the most part. So it's just about scaling enemies based off that. Which DE does do, and not horribly, but there definitely is room for improvement. Or possibly scale based of the collective conclave rating of the entire squad, and base it off the number of people in the squad. (i.e. a monster would scale higher with 2 people who have 2000 collective conclave rating, than 4 people who have 2500 collective conclave rating.)

b)Screw scaling. These particular "avoid at all costs" monsters are completely out of league for anything that is not completely top-notch and have a set in stone base level and base stats.

To be honest, I'd be completely ok with (b) simply because these levels should be areas where newbies shouldn't be able to get to without being carried anyways and also because these are enemies that you should WANT to avoid. They should not drop anything special (or possibly anything at all, as some others have suggested) and they should be extremely challenging for high level players.

This would also give the gratifying feeling of, "Hell ya, good job mates, we took that beast down!" for those high level players that actually want to take on these monsters, and then also give the feeling to those that aren't so prepared that, "We should run. Yes we should run right now. RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN."

Infested used to do that, they used to be challanging. But then everyone whined about stagger and it got removed, now you can just walk past everything with no fear. If people didn't like the stagger they should have learned to shoot the runners or avoid them instead of whining, now the infested have a bunch of useless runners.

You were scared as that group of runners kept bouncing you back and forth and the ancient disrupter was comming to ruin your day.

the removal of stagger on pretty much everything has ruined most of the enemies. If you get hit by a railgun you would be knocked down or stagger, not just shrug it off and keep running. Once again, another enemy ruined for a diffrent faction because people whined.

Honestly, I agree with. Stagger on runners in particular made them something to be avoided, or targeted first. Now I just let them run up to me and kill themselves with absolutely no regard to them.

I wonder if DE actually ever notices ideas like these or if they do if they even consider them. I feel like a lot of great ideas are lost simply because they disappear down the pages. I've seen some great stuff come from all different sections of the forums, but never hear mention of them again after or see that they were recognized after they get past the second page of whatever subsection they're in.

• 2 weeks later...

Horror is only scary the first time you experience it. After that it only becomes annoying.

I would rather see more enemies that need more co-operation from the players to beat.

Give the infested a flying enemy that can divebomb on you and latch onto you while you are being dropped to the floor. Only way to kill it is with a dagger or a pistol or by another player. Have some enemies that affects your loadout even more making you think what you need to bring. 

Give the infested a broodmother type of enemy with buffed armour, that moves like a slug, sprays acid when you shoot it and constantly poops out little critters that try to kill you and slams you with tentacles when you stand too long in one spot, bring stagger back for those tentacle slams. When you kill it it explodes in a fountain of acid, stand too close and you die. If wanted you can make the ends of the tentacles shoot acid darts aswell.

Gives us night missions without the crappy flashlights but nightvision goggles that drain your energy while being used. Only thing to see when you don't have them activated is the flashes of the guns and sparks of the melee. A special luminescent enemy can be added aswell with some mushrooms because illuminated shrooms are nice. To be honest, a high tech suit and no built in night vision? Amateur Tenno is what i say. Why would a space ninja even equip a flashlight.

All of these could be implemented on the infested ships at the same time. That would be more interesting. See the mechanics are already in the game, they are heading the right way with the infested ships but we need more different kind of infested to kill. Give infested the right mechanics instead of just running to you in swarms. 

Edited by McFluffie

The infested have a lot of potential but just don't make full use of it. Clever use of lighting and pacing the enemy spawns would go a long way to give infested areas a lot more character. Just having them slowly run at you doesn't feel quite right. There needs to be nothing for a while and then suddenly 'I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER*bleep*ING INFESTED ON THIS MOTHER*bleep*ING SHIP' as an endless tide of them descend on you.

Imagine you're on an infested corpus ship. It's too dark to see, aside from the light on your weapon. There are the usual signs of infestation but no actual infested. Occasionally you catch a glimpse of movement in the shadows, but aside from that the level is deserted. You make it to the reactor and set the ship to explode. The reactor's alarm sounds and, with that, all hell breaks loose.

Infestation ain't scary, unless we could see how a grineer got infestated into chaser and some crewman infestated to runner and leaper

also to enter an abandoned ship but still have working lights, elevator, and control module (infestation in corpus shipwhich glass can be broken) is strange

Edited by BBHQ

what if there's an invasion on some planet, and when you join one faction they battled and then got some heavy infestation swarming, when one killed it spread viruses all over the room that turns some crewman or grineer lancer into infestation, so the battle is changed from corpus vs grineer everyone vs infestation, corpus/grineer invasion revealed to be a infestatioon outbreak, higher infestation level with both faction on same level working to push down the outbreak, while keeping the virus not to spread

and the boss shouldn't be that boring red phorid (easily die just with 2 rhinos) would be better if it was bunch of infestated combining into one gigantic creature, and the room was made darker and the lights was behind the giant boss

if they get a hold of you, they struggle snuggle your face hardcore.

Struggle snuggle. I'm going to have to use that one.

On topic, and to summerize my thoughts, I don't think Horror is going to have much of a place in Warframe. It's possible, sure, but what made games like Deadspace so scary to me was because of how slow the game ways, not to mention how slow and a bit clunky you were as a character. In Warframe, we have manuverability like nobodies business and the game itself is so stapled in fast paced action with incredibly powerful weapons and powers, that the type of tension needed is just unobtainable.

The "Escape" mission when captured by Harvester is the closest thing we have to being near powerless and is what would be required to make something more scary in Warframe. To have that "Oh crap run Run RUN!" moment, we can't be able to blast things apart in fantastic ways and be able to escape so easily and we most certainly cannot be playing with friends. As I said in the beginning, that kind of slow haunting horror is just not going to have a place in Warframe. DE would have to remove all the things that make Warframe what it is and that's not exactly a good way to spend time. Creating more dreary atmosphere and scarier LOOKING enemies is entirely possible, but I highly doubt anyone is going to feel any real tension while playing Warframe when there's a Trinity granting invulnerability, Vauban suspending everything in the air, Nyx making sure the enemy fight each other and Nova disintegrating mass waves of enemies in the blink of an eye.

Focus on what you know, and DE knows action.

Too bad Infested aren't all that scary... 

Remove the minimap, have Lotus loudly and suddenly contact you every so often with gargled/static warnings, darken the whole map down to needing the flashlight to see, give maps a more infested look, add ambient noises when enemies aren't around, reduce their actual noises until they're fairly close, vary their spawns so that they appear from every door when they do, and make Ancient Disruptors  spawn more frequently.

New players would crap their pants, due to being helpless. It would at least be a bit interesting to older players with 1-hit kill weapons.

Edit: They could also make it so that guns used in this gametype are all treated as if they have no mods, while enemies that spawn are balanced so that they're still killable.

Edited by Grascen

If Horror fits Warframe at all then Infested are not the right faction for that kind of stuff. They are acting more like hordes of braindead zombies running to their doom than anything else. That kind of stuff doesn't give me the creeps anymore. Too many movies and way too many games have that already so it isn't scary at all. I feel like I'm a janitor who is ought to clean up the mess the Orokin left behind - which is an appointment for life because for some reason the Infested never stop to break out again and again.

Scary means for me much more if something is not at all human or human-created/related. Too fear the unknown. In the very beginning the alien series (as well as others) had very good concepts bringing in extraterrestrial ideas, until they flushed it down the toilet with Alien 3/Resurrection where everything just became a plain joke.

In my opinion the things we haven't seen yet or we aren't used too are more scary than what we see every day. So I guess we will have to wait what the new faction is going to be like which Minky has in mind for next year. The more awkward/disturbing it is the more it has potential to become scary/creepy. Also if their units are able to produce "wtf?!" and "make a run for it!"-moments. Some units were firepower just isn't enough to keep them at bay because that's why Warframe enemies don't scare me now. They don't look scary and they just die to easily.

Edited by MeduSalem

• 1 month later...