The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Help! Red, Green And Blue Flashing Pixels

Yoridokoro

Hello fellow tenno, I have stumbled across a problem with my PC. Recently I've been getting wierd flashing pixels in mostly green but also blue and red collors. They appere och curtain spots and tend to follow the position even if it is a moving image, an example would be a moving red dot with the center having the flashing pixels stuck on it. As the dot moved so do the pixels. This problem occures on random occasions and not necessary when paying games or browsing media(even as I am writing this they suddently once again showed up).

I did do a lot of research on problems like these, most say it's either the monitor or the graphics card. But none of the info really helps me to determine which of these problems would be similar to mine. So I am turning to you tenno, please help me :(

Before I say anything further here is an image:

DSC_0032.jpg

Before you shout out some thing like GPU is bad, CPU is bad, cables not plugged in correctly, etc... Hear me out.

A similar but not quite the same problem ocurred for the first time before I intsalled my current PC settup. The reason for that was that my PC experienced an BIOHD-8 error. I was forced to exchange my hard drive as it was the only sollution, so I did it. After that I ran my PC and my old graphics card literarly melted but still functioned, I was forced to replace it and bought a new GPU, which lead to buying a better power supply due to the old one being outdated, before replacing the graphics cards one has to uninstall the drivers. As I booted up the PC with the old graphics card installed I for the first time experienced these pixels, but in much different way, they were more grid like and only green. Not even nearly the same way as you see them in the image above! I obviously believed it was the graphics card going bad and quickly finished the uninstalling. The process of the installing of the new (now 5 months old) Graphics card, hard drive and power supply was smooth and flawless, they are brand new and run without any problems.The rest has not changed and is over 5 years old.

I think it is also important to note:

The pixels can not be captured by any screen recording softwares, such as fraps. Even print screen does not show up the pixels.

By turning off the monitor and powering it up again the pixel problem vanishes for some time but later returns.

The Graphics card is not overheating, actually it is 30 degrees as I am writing this and below 45 as I am playing games such as warframe on max settings, even without the pixels showing up.

Cables are plugged in correctly.

Graphics card and power supply are brand new and ran flawlessly for the past 2 months of usage,

PC is being used about 6 hours a day. 

The rest of the PC and  it's parts (incuding monitor) are 5 years old, meaning everything except the graphics card and power supply.

Please help me as I do not know what do to from this point on.

Thank you for taking the time and reading trough this post.

-SicTurtle

Edited by SicTurtle

Do you have a 2nd monitor somewhere in your house/apartment that you can plug in? If you don't get any of the aforementioned problems on the 2nd screen then it's probably an issue with the old monitor and you can breathe easy. If you DO still get the issues on the 2nd monitor, it's going to be a hardware issue inside the PC: GPU or otherwise.

Step 1 is always process of elimination if you suspect it could be multiple issues.

If screen capture can't capture it and it fixes itself by turning the monitor off and on, it sounds like a hardware fault with the monitor.

Please explain what you mean by "hardware foult with the monitor", I am having problems understanding that part.

Do you have a 2nd monitor somewhere in your house/apartment that you can plug in? If you don't get any of the aforementioned problems on the 2nd screen then it's probably an issue with the old monitor and you can breathe easy. If you DO still get the issues on the 2nd monitor, it's going to be a hardware issue inside the PC: GPU or otherwise.

Step 1 is always process of elimination if you suspect it could be multiple issues.

Looks like your monitor needs recalibrated and or possibly on its last leg, try another to check but that is what it looks like to me.

Thank you Aurodar and 0Pinger fir helping me out. I will try finding another monitor to test this on.

Edited by SicTurtle

Hello everyone, thank you for the help so far!

Here is a quick update on my situation.

I was asked to try another monitor but I am not able to get one any time soon so I had to improvise, and I did. I might have just even found the problem.

So what I did is to "catch" the pixels. The main goal is to find the problem, by using a different monitor to see if the pixels still remain is one way but in my case I can't do it at the moment. How about reversing the idea? Using a different machine on the same monitor? 

Because I only had my laptop at hand for this experiment it is obvious the pixels would not show up because the laptop doesn't push the monitor to the limits due to it being a weaker machine than my PC. I decided to wait until the pixels show up on my main machine and then change so that the monitor displays the desktop on my laptop, if the monitor is fault the pixels should remain even tough the monitor displays a different desktop, if the graphics card is fault the pixels should disappear and a clean desktop should be showing! Right?

The result of this experiment was that the pixels remained even tough the monitor was displaying a different desktop. I think it is important to note that they did not remain in the same spots, as on the previous desktop. The pixels found new spots to be all flashy on but the effect was exactly the same.

A conclusion taken from the experiment would be that the monitor is fault.

So what do you guys think, has the problem been found?