Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New And Updated Pvp

tkdbackkick

Hey everyone! As you know, there is a lot of discussion about PvP in Warframe. A small base of the community, at least to my understanding, wants increased PvP play, while most of the players prefer the game be solely a PvE game. I believe that Warframe does not need PvP to be a great game, but it is nice that DE added conclave areas to battle. However, there are several problems with the current system:

1. It's all about your weapons and mods. If you don't have the best weapons and mods, you get owned. Simple as that.

2. Not all warframes are usable. Many of the warframe abilities are worthless and don't do anything, and you end up choosing warframes that have the most survivability or the most utility/mobility

For me, when I think of PvP for Warframe, I really think about Unreal Tournament. I'm not talking about the new ones, which aren't very good, but the 2004 version. For those of you who have played it, you know exactly what I'm talking about, and those about you who haven't, go read about it first before continuing. Many of the concepts I'll be describing come from that game.

Unreal_Tournament_2004_%28UT2004%29.jpg

Balancing and Weaponry

First off, let's talk about balancing. Currently it's all about the biggest and most bad-&#! weapons and mods you have. However, in this new PvP mode everyone would start with the SAME WEAPONS. Everyone would spawn with the same weapons, such as the Braton, Lato, and Skana (just an example), and would have to battle it out with the same load out. This removes any advantage to players who have the "best stuff" and gives it the players with the "most skill". The gameplay would be focused around mobility and gunplay/melee assassinations, which I'll get to in a moment.

Warframes

As for Warframes, I believe they should be purely cosmetic. Many of you would argue, hey, I want to use my ablitites during PvP. I ask you this: is it really rewarding? Most abilities have had their actual effects changed, and it limits your warframe choice. As such, I believe PvP should have NO ABLITIES OR POWERS, and all warframes will just be cosmetic touches. If the Stalker is immune to all abilities, then this new PvP should be similar. This shifts the gameplay from what you have, to how good of a player you are. Everyone would have the same health, shield, stamina, and movement speed, so as to keep it balanced. It would focus completely on player skill and not on what warframe you have chosen.

Melee

As for melee, it's really weak right now, and I know that. Perhaps Melee 2.0, whenever that is, will make it much more viable. But what would be interesting is if you could assassinate other players from behind, resulting in a custom animation and an instant death for the assinated player. Halo Reach had excellent assassination animations, and would change depending on what angle you killed them from or what enemy type you assinated. Below is an example GIF of a Spartan assassinating a Jackal.

gallery_15_4_1908483.gif

This would add a little bit of sneaking to the otherwise high paced shooting and moving. If someone was sniping from a roof, say good-guy Rhino, you could sneak up behind him and stick him like a pig. That would be interesting and rewarding. :D

Weapon/Health spawns and pick-ups

In Unreal Tournament, even though everyone spawned with the same weapons, you could pick up weapons on the map that had spawn points. Most of them could be picked up by anyone and everyone, and would not deplete if someone picked it up. Since Warframe only allows for a single primary and a single secondary, you would essentially "trade" your weapon for the one located on the ground. This could be great for team fights. For example, let's say it's 8 on 8 team deathmatch. When you spawn, you see there is a Soma and a Tigris. You and your buddy pick up the Tigris, because you like to run in like a bunch of bad-asses, and the rest of your team gets Somas. As you engage the enemy team, you notice that they all have Somas, so standing out in the open is a VERY bad idea. So you and your friend go into the buildings and make your way to the enemy while hidden from the open field where the rest of your team is duking it out with the enemy. As you emerge, you notice you are VERY close to the enemy team, and you and your friend start smoking some fools because of the superior firepower of the Tigris at close range. Wow, what good fun.

Note that weapons will be good in different situations. Bows would act like snipers, resulting in a kill with a head shot or 2 arrows to the chest (if they don't regen their shields), but balancing of weapon power will be up to DE. The same thing would apply to sidearms. Maybe I like the accuracy of the Lex, so in a tight spot my accurate shooting will save my life. Or perhaps I prefer the spray-and-pray, so my dual vipers will shred at close range. Or perhaps you are a gunslinger, so the Dual Vastos are best. All weapons would be picked up from the map, so there is no advantage at the start of the game.

Ammo would be on the map, and would vary with your weapon type. Sniper ammo would be the least plentiful, followed by shotgun ammo, and rifle/pistol ammo. We wouldn't want a sniper just killing everyone with unlimited bullets now would we?

Now, in Unreal Tournament, there were Heavy Weapons that you could pick up. Only one could be picked up, and it had 1 bullet, but resulted in massive casualties on both teams. I think the Ogris and Penta would fit this category. Whoever finds the weapon and uses it can change the tide of battle, both for or against their team. No weapon ammo for these guns, and only a single person can pick up the weapon before it goes on a "timer" before respawning.

Gameplay/Gametypes

There would be different gametypes available. Some of the ideas I think would be good include:

-Team Deathmatch

-Free For All (no teams deathmatch)

-Melee Deathmatch (just melee weapons, go hack and slash your enemies, assassinate like a boss)

-Capture the Flag

-King of the Hill (similar to the point game mode on Earth, but just a single point, and teams have to hold the point to get points)

-Black Hawk Down/Survival

For the last game type, it would be a few players, say 3 or 4, who fight against everyone else, say 12 other players. The 4 players would have superior weapons and could pick up ammo off of slain enemies. The other 12 players would have to use the spawned load out and wouldn't be able to pick up any weapons, but there is strength in numbers! Tactical positioning and teamwork would be essential for the final 4, and the goal would be for the 4 to survive for a given time, say 1 minute, to wait for extraction. Victory is achieved if at least one of the players survives, and defeat if they are all slain. It would be a lot of fun, I think, to be a survivor, but it would also be fun to be a grunt charging in like a boss with 10 other of your buddies.

Overall this PvP style revolves on gameplay, skill, and teamwork, instead of weaponry that you've already acquired, mods, and the best warframe abilities. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any ideas to what I've already posted. I look forward to your feedback. :D

-tkdbackkick

It would be awesme to see all of this but it's waaay too soon my friend. 

We're not even sure how melee is going to be balanced and fair in pvp  yet. All of this could be added towards the end of the game developpement .

We need PvE focus first , PVP is extra. 

+1

You made many nice points. As a PVP person first and pve 2nd I was excited when I heard PVP/Conclave was coming to Warframe, only to meet the massive let down  :\

Best thing is, Conclave isn't really integrated into the main game play. So ppl afraid of not fond of PVP don't have to deal with it or be bothered with it. You literally have to choose to go to Conclave to do pvp. So ppl talking down on pvp are just trolling,imo.

The balancing isn't a hard thing to tackle, at least I would not imagine so. 

They could simply enable +500/+1000 armor boost, +1000/2000 shield and/or HP boost when you enter Conclave.

This is the simplest and fastest solution that I can come up with that wouldn't require much time spent on this department, to work on coding for better, proper scaling. Therefore allowing them to focus on PVE which is the main focus of the game.

Those boost would allow everyone to survive longer/better when up against OP weapons. This way, those not fully decked out atleast have a better chance at surviving and possibly winning.

TLDR:  Enable massive Armor, Shield and HP boosts for a 'quick-fix' in conclave.

Just to make sure, PvP is definetely a secondary thing. Note that this is simply my idea of what PvP should be in Warframe: a fun game setting. It would be played to just go and have fun, shoot some fools, and perhaps enjoy more of the acrobatics and movement of Warframe. I believe this game should stay focused on PvE, but should they try in some way to improve PvP I think they should revamp the system to look like this one. While it wouldn't enhance the story in any way, it would add another aspect to the game that could potentially draw a different crowd, although that could be argued as both a good and bad thing.

-tkdbackkick

One of the whole reasons I enjoyed Warframe, back when I first played it on the PC, then took a break, and returned to it on PS4, was due to the PVE, as I liked working with a group, more then fighting them, not because I'm unskilled, or lack the talents, but I just get tired of the drama, and all the useless amount of smack talking that occurs....

I feel not every game needs PvP, as I've seen a few online ones ruined by it.

I agree with you Galilann. For me, PvP should remain a completely seperate mode with no impact on the storyline or PvE aspects of Warframe. It would be more of a "service" offered by the game, where should you feel like playing a multiplayer shooter, you would jump on Warframe instead of say Call of Duty or Titanfall.

-tkdbackkick