Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Steam] "app Already Running"

Mephane

Starting somewhen between 12.1.2 and 12.2.0, Steam always thinks the game is still running after it is closed. This happens both if the actual game has been running, and when I only start the launcher and close it without starting the actual game.

Steam will refuse to start the game again, returning the dreaded "App already running" error message. I tried the usual (and usually futile) remedies like starting Steam as admin, verifying game cache etc. and nothing helped.

Another very ugly consequence is that Steam itself won't close in this state, so I always have to kill the Steam process in order to close it, too.

That is the name assigned to the launcher process as far as I see, and that process is closed when I close the launcher or game, yet Steam still believes the app is running. I suppose the game has to somehow notify Steam that it is closing, and somehow fails to do so?

Steam isn't that fast. It usually takes a while for a game to not only close, but for Steam to recognize it. Best way to observe this is if you took any screenshots with the steam overlay and close the game. It takes more than a second or two for the screenshot window to pop up afterwards, because it still thinks the game is running. And of course sometimes it doesn't close entirely or properly, as many games in beta. It does show up as warframe.exe in the task manager, and may need to have its process ended.

Okay, I have found that if I start the launcher manually (using a link that incorporates the same command line arguments as those Steam appears to use when starting the game, otherwise the launcher seems to do weird stuff), this does not happen, but Steam integration is completely gone, and I especially miss the Steam community features.

The weird thing is, the bug started in the middle between two patches, and does not affect most players; a friend who is also playing has no problems, for example. So I guess something on my machine is at fault, but I changed nothing here. The bug just suddenly started happening.

I also encountered this "error", sometimes when I quit normally or using Alt-F4, or when the game crashes. It's strange that since Zephyr the game crashes without a single trace of error, and after the second crash Steam didn't want to start nor quit the game because of the "App already running" message.
I didn't find the "Warframe.exe" or the Evolution Engine, instead I had to kill the Crash report sender... now Steam is not "in game" and acts normally again.

I hope this can help somehow.

• 2 months later...

I've encountered this problem too. Today, it peaked to the highest level of annoyance as I closed Warframe entirely, ended its process, but Steam kept detecting that it was online. It has nothing to do with the Crash report sender process either, because Warframe ran smoothly after one popped up. I couldn't find a single process associated with Warframe and was breaking my brains in trying to figure out the problem until I just decided to restart.

A reboot fixes everything, especially since my gaming laptop starts up rather fast.