The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To "fix" Nova In A Few Simple Steps

CY13ERPUNK

ok here we go, FLAME ON!

remember when Booben got 'nerfed'? ya? ok yer OG, no? well basically Bastille used to be able to hold an indefinite amount of baddies up in stasis, so as long as u had one bastile up, u could hold back infested from defense mission as long as u had energy to recast, the 'nerf' was giving bastille a tgt cap, thus now Booben has to actually throw a cpl of them down to hold back the hordes occasionally

if u already c where im going with this, here's a cookie, yer one of the sharp ones

MolePrime needs a target cap, say 5/10/15/20 (4 ranks) enhanceable with power mods (focus/blind rage)

ADDITIONALLY, MolePrime keeps extra dmg on tgts, say maybe 1.5x instead of 2x (not enhanceable, or base 1x, but enhanceable), and keeps the slow, but maybe the slow is 10/20/30/40% (4 ranks, not enhancable)

ADDITIONALLY MolePrime debuffs above apply to all tgts, but tgts do NOT explode when killed by ANY means, they ONLY explode and thus chain when killed with Nova's #1 or her #2

basically Nova 'primes' her tgts, but a bullet isnt going to trigger it, it requires her specific antimatter power to 'nova' her primed tgts

my proposed changes do a lot of things:

A - it makes nova's kit complementary and work together as a package

B - tones her down WITHOUT taking away her power, she'd still be awesome with these changes (just like Booben is still awesome)

C - sets the stage for ALL 'massive aoe dmg' ults to get tgt hard caps (things like nyx chaos or loki radial dont need tgt caps as they arent nukes)

a MAJOR complaint about Ash/Excal's ults are the tgt hard caps, but they are ONLY complaints becuz other frames like Mag/Rhino/Nova DO NOT have tgt caps

the tgt caps yes mean you cant destroy 4000 dudes at once, but having 1 frame being able to do that means that what's the point of the other 3 frames? and/or DE needs to throw more and more units at us to even pose a threat, which leave tenno/frames/player that are not equipped to deal with fighting 10k baddies all at once out in the cold cold void of space

obviously tgt hard caps have to prioritize tgts closer in proximity 1st, no rhino stomping and the guy 10 ft away dies, but the one standing next to you doesnt, but im ok with rhino jumping into a crowd and stomping and ONLY killing say the 20-30 dudes immediately next to him (the energy is being absorbed after all), instead of just being able to stomp anywhere and devastate everything within radius with impunity (fyi rhino stomp already does less dmg at further ranges, but it still has no tgt cap)

I don't want ult's to be weaksauce, but I'd like the massive nuke ults to be toned down to give the game a more "4 tennos in a cell working as a unit" feel to it, which atm, most of us realize, it does NOT feel like

aight well, that's my FEEDBACK

in case yer curious, im rank 15, and ive pretty much done everything possible ingame so i didn't just pull any of this out of my &#!

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

i agree with the OP's opinion of nukes.

the more nukes in the game the more spamming the waves have to do. i'd rather have ten intelligent AI than 100 dimwitted AI.

on top of this nuking the AI is a low skill floor ability. yay i pressed one button and dozens of things died! at high level nothing dies and the player who built around spamming nukes is left naked. 

my opinion on this is no frame should have nukes. you should have 1 damage move, 2 buffs/debuffs, and a crowd control.

since that would alienate the fanbase, target caps, severely reduced ranges or cone of effect in front of players with stretch widening the cone would serve nicely.

whats the point in having OP weapons AND nukes? the game is so rushy because everything can be killed as it pops into view. if basic mobs could still knock you down and destroy you people might slow down and use their support abilities. ammo mutators and clip mods would be useful. it wouldn't be teams of the same 3 frames and the same 3 weapons constantly

As a fellow vet i know the idea is right on.

It makes nova more complex, fun and different in a way(not your typical nuker anymore.).

Christ, i don't know what has become to this community.

In  the early days everyone is constructive.. *sigh

Redundancy, in game as in the forums. :3

ok ok righto, i expected as much, first few responses lacking rational faculties as well as any sense of good humor, it was to be expected

So you trying to make nova less of a team player and MUCH weaker (when I say much, I'm talking about weakest frame level) is your idea, so people telling you, no, thats a bad idea, is a bad response?

Sorry, but get your head out of your &#!! "It was to be expected". Do you know how stuck up that sounds?

Nova, along with all other frames were affected heavily by Damage 2.0, and this brought Nova down to every other frames level, by making her use RADIATION damage, which is terrible against everything but the big grineer guys.

Nova was usually brought along against Infested, due to the sheer number of mobs she can kill at once, and now she's only good for destroying Heavy Gunners and Napalms.

Nova does NOT need a nerf.

OP is on point. And this:

the more nukes in the game the more spamming the waves have to do. i'd rather have ten intelligent AI than 100 dimwitted AI.

on top of this nuking the AI is a low skill floor ability. yay i pressed one button and dozens of things died! at high level nothing dies and the player who built around spamming nukes is left naked. 

my opinion on this is no frame should have nukes. you should have 1 damage move, 2 buffs/debuffs, and a crowd control.

since that would alienate the fanbase, target caps, severely reduced ranges or cone of effect in front of players with stretch widening the cone would serve nicely.

whats the point in having OP weapons AND nukes? the game is so rushy because everything can be killed as it pops into view. if basic mobs could still knock you down and destroy you people might slow down and use their support abilities. ammo mutators and clip mods would be useful. it wouldn't be teams of the same 3 frames and the same 3 weapons constantly

so true...

OP is on point. And this:

so true...

Hey ! No way ! I want more mobs, hoard of them, constantly, I want them explode, be dismembered, miasmed, then disentagrated by the thousands  !

More nukes more war !

PS : bahh, sometimes it's good to do other kind of missions, more stealth or whatever, but the point is that one of the cool thing about WF is that it's like an ARPG but in 3 D with space ninjas !!!

while i somewhat understand the draw of explosions and gore filling a screen. the level of interactivity is borderline nonexistent. you might as well record one good session and just use media player to relive it over and over again.

but this is a not a right/wrong situation, you like destruction with lemming AI, and i like a more tactical approach. i guess in your regard the developers favour your opinion more. but they're still tossing my kind a bone here and there

ya i just dont want all warframes to have such a similar kit ya know? like if EVERYONE had 1 dmg, 2 buff/debuffs, 1 cc, then i think it'd get a lil too monotonous

but still i do think the vast majority of warframe powers need A LOT more depth/utility, so that they do more than JUST dmg or whatevs, in the same way that abilities like nyx's MC/chaos/absorb will ALWAYS be useful, but ember's all run out of gas quickly

As a fellow vet i know the idea is right on.

It makes nova more complex, fun and different in a way(not your typical nuker anymore.).

Christ, i don't know what has become to this community.

In  the early days everyone is constructive.. *sigh

CLOSED BETA yo, keyword here, CLOSED, once you open the floodgates, there's no stopping em, sadly

not to say that some didn't pay there way in before that anyways, but what can you do right? try to reason rationality i guess and hope the DEv team doesnt listen to "them"

So you trying to make nova less of a team player and MUCH weaker (when I say much, I'm talking about weakest frame level) is your idea, so people telling you, no, thats a bad idea, is a bad response?

Sorry, but get your head out of your &#!! "It was to be expected". Do you know how stuck up that sounds?

Nova, along with all other frames were affected heavily by Damage 2.0, and this brought Nova down to every other frames level, by making her use RADIATION damage, which is terrible against everything but the big grineer guys.

Nova was usually brought along against Infested, due to the sheer number of mobs she can kill at once, and now she's only good for destroying Heavy Gunners and Napalms.

Nova does NOT need a nerf.

not sure wth you are talking about... nova on par with the weakest frame ingame? wat u smokin man? srsly? u r clearly not playing the same game here...

im pretty sure i know what you are doing here tho, yer trolln, acting as if nova has been crippled by dmg 2.0 (which she has NOT btw) and hoping that if you cry about how weak she is on the forums that DE wont "nerf" yer poor lil baby, but sry man, its for the best

if you are not doing that, then im sry, you must clearly be delusional if you think "radiation dmg" has done anything to nova's power at all, srsly

and what i am suggesting would NOT make her weaker/worse than ember, not by a long shot

Yeah... But I can't help, I like game's mainly for mindless killing. I would like tough, having more AI twitch sometimes, or simple diversity or surprise effect, like having real tough guys in T3T, as a level 100 ancient in a middle of a pack; Something that can stop us if we crush everything.

back to topic : I love my nova sheer destruction power, I love her utility for the team in higher waves when instant destruction slowly fade away. I somewhat pay it with the fact that I have, at some point, the urge to always being mobile and aware to stay away from any mobs than could ruin me in a snapshot instant...

My reply:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/182863-wasted-warframes/#entry2130591

Nova's MP is exactly like those "Screen cleaner bombs" in the old SNK shmups: "just press a button and watch everything die", tho in the SNK games you had a limited number for each life and it was hard to find more, instead here you can have as many as you want as long as you have energy.

For what i understood, the more simple to use (press 4) and the more effective (destroy everything) an ability is, the more the players (especially the "lazy" ones) are prone to use it, and Nova's Molecular Prime is one of the many proofs of this.

The problem is not JUST about Molecular Prime but about the ults mechanic itself: a shooter with space ninjas shouldn't have "one button to kill everything" skills, or at least it shouldn't encourage theyr use, it's ok to can have some skills that could "save your &#!" in critical situations but that's it, critical situations, not every 5 seconds because "it's easyer to just do so" rather than trying to use some mind and find "better" ways to solve a situation rather than just press one single button like a "No ! Hold it guys ! That's too much !".

Maybe i went a bit out with the argument but what i mean is, is not just a problem of Molecular Prime itself, but it's a common problem that involves most of the ults in the game, yet MP is the one that represents it more perfectly.

Edited by Otakuwolf

ya i just dont want all warframes to have such a similar kit ya know? like if EVERYONE had 1 dmg, 2 buff/debuffs, 1 cc, then i think it'd get a lil too monotonous

but still i do think the vast majority of warframe powers need A LOT more depth/utility, so that they do more than JUST dmg or whatevs, in the same way that abilities like nyx's MC/chaos/absorb will ALWAYS be useful, but ember's all run out of gas quickly

CLOSED BETA yo, keyword here, CLOSED, once you open the floodgates, there's no stopping em, sadly

not to say that some didn't pay there way in before that anyways, but what can you do right? try to reason rationality i guess and hope the DEv team doesnt listen to "them"

not sure wth you are talking about... nova on par with the weakest frame ingame? wat u smokin man? srsly? u r clearly not playing the same game here...

im pretty sure i know what you are doing here tho, yer trolln, acting as if nova has been crippled by dmg 2.0 (which she has NOT btw) and hoping that if you cry about how weak she is on the forums that DE wont "nerf" yer poor lil baby, but sry man, its for the best

if you are not doing that, then im sry, you must clearly be delusional if you think "radiation dmg" has done anything to nova's power at all, srsly

and what i am suggesting would NOT make her weaker/worse than ember, not by a long shot

How about you learn to read.

I said what YOU are trying to do, NOT what she is like now. You are trying to make her weak and a less team orientated frame.

exactly Otakuwolf

thus y i think eventually all massive nuke dmg aoes need tgt caps

How about you learn to read.

I said what YOU are trying to do, NOT what she is like now. You are trying to make her weak and a less team orientated frame.

thnx, i know how to read fine, you claimed nova was already 'brought down' and that i was making her 'much weaker', both of which i claim is either delusional or trolln

nova is a super team player, atm she brings the most powerful ingame buff/debuff combo, where exactly did i remove that? (it needs adjustment, becuz atm its too good)

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

Problems with Nova;

Weirdly effected by ability mods

Nothing discourages spamming 4, or encourages not spamming 4.

Problems that may or may not exist with Nova;

OP ult.

It's kind of hard to justify how OP or not OP M prime really is with the first two problems in place.

That being said, I'd still like to put on a brief delay between each explosion and have the 1812 overture play as long as a chain is going.

Edited by LukeAura

• 2 weeks later...

No. Nova is fine now as she only does Radiation damage, which, lets face it, isn't the BEST.

Also, having MPrime only activate from Nova's ability, means you're trying to make this a LESS co-operative game!

Btw.... it's VAUBAN!

Between not getting a joke and trying to claim that Mprime is bad... you're a fool.