Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stealth 2.0

Quatrez

Warframes are space ninja, but why the game are focus on heavy combat. Everyone have forgot the stealth. Here are some idea for the Stealth 2.0.

Line of sight

The minimap must show the stereo vision of the enemy, make us more easily to avoid enemy. For example, the minimap show a cone shap in front of the enemy icon that indicate the enemy's view and range. The player can hide behind a solid, opaque object to avoid been detected by enemy.

Distraction

The player can throw a ball that emit a loud sound to distract enemy or the player can hack the control console to activate the alarm to distract the enemy.

Light and shadow

Player can shoot the light bulb or hack the control console to black out a room, since enemy has shorter sight in dark area. Some warframe abillites also malfunction the lighting system.

Stealth Kill

Player not need to get behind the enemy to stealth kill anymore. Now you can steath kill enemy if you are above he/she. You can kill an enemy when you are on the zeppline line or if the enemy is directly under you. Similar to the regular stealth kill, it will has its own dead scene animation. BUT YOU MUST NOT BEEN DETECTED.

== Additional ideas==

Why stealth when you can kill your enemy likes Rambo?

Playstyle meter bar

when the mission is completed, between the rewarded credits and item looted, there is a new meter bar for gameplay style. At the two opposite end is two emblem represent Assault playstyle and Stealth playstyle. Similar to the warframe and weapons experience bar, the playstyle meter bar show the playstyle you used in the mssion. As a example, if u have more stealth in the mission, the stealth side will has more experience.

Whats Experience!?

The experience is needed to ranked up your Stealth or Assault rank. Like the mastery rank, everytime you done a mission, your Stealth/Assault rank experience increase a little bit. Some weapons, skin and cosmetic are exclusive to the specific Stealth/Assault rank. Here are some title for Stealth/Assault rank

Stealth

Unrank - Shadow - Ghost - Phantom - Lunar

Assault

Unrank - Crusher - Tank - Vanguard - Sol

here are some ideas, any suggestion?

Edited by Quatrez

> Implying that there's a Stealth 1.0

In all seriousness, though, I think that we need a reason to use stealth in the first place before stealth mechanics come in.

The line of sight seems really distracting to me (although I wouldn't mind if it were part of the Codex Scanner UI, which already serves as a form of X-ray vision). The Distraction thing seems kind of counteractive, since we're trying not to have the alarm go off in the first place (and a distraction-causing item would render Decoy useless).

The light-malfunctioning thing seems interesting, though. The Grineer already seem pretty used to their air conditioning getting stuck, so having the lights go off shouldn't be too much of a giveaway. XD

Edited by SortaRandom

With the light & shadow thing, I'd like to see Infested invert that penalty / bonus, with the Tenno having the option of hacking an area's lighting controls to turn them on as well as off.

The distraction option is getting a bit too MGS, though.

Edited by Novocrane

My idea in another post was to use the mod rarity tied to each enemy. In the codex, each enemy drops common, uncommon, and rare mods. Making it so unaware enemies have a higher chance to drop rare and uncommon mods would provide more incentive for players to be sneaky in a mission

Even tho this sound like a few simple changes to the game it is actually far complicated to introduce it in the game. First of all stealth system of this kind simply can't work on any mission other than exterminate at the moment since random AI respawn (they simply spawn behind you) and due to the certain mission types that doesn't allow this type of gameplay (defence / mobile defence / intersection) so we're left with exterminate, deception, assassination, spy and sabotage which would need lot of changes to make this possible (change to spawn system which would make all those missions exterminate with a goal) also it would be needed to change the number or AI's spawn in the mission since it would take forever to kill 70+ of them by yourself without being detected. Another fact that doesn't make this possible is simply your teammates. There's always someone who will say " **** this I'm just gonna shoot my penta all over the place " or some will fail to stay undetected which is making stealth system more of a single-player oriented unless they change a lot (and I mean A LOT) of things so it can work out the way you imagined.

Maybe the best we can hope for is just a new type of mission like nastery rank 9 test but I doubt DE would waste time to simply completely change the game system.

Even tho this sound like a few simple changes to the game it is actually far complicated to introduce it in the game. First of all stealth system of this kind simply can't work on any mission other than exterminate at the moment since random AI respawn -snip-

Why not just change all exterminates into stealth based missions? It's not like going gun blazing on those were fun anyways.

Edited by RustyNaps

Or...! Implement a new mission type: Stealth. If you "appear on their scanners" then you fail. Also Of course this will be heavily opposed by those who like to Rambo/Halo/CoD their way through everything.

I really like the cones on the radar idea. Perhaps an upgrade to enemy sense and radar mods?

Or...! Implement a new mission type: Stealth. If you "appear on their scanners" then you fail. Also Of course this will be heavily opposed by those who like to Rambo/Halo/CoD their way through everything.

I really like the cones on the radar idea. Perhaps an upgrade to enemy sense and radar mods?

Here the mission made for stealth player, thx for the suggestion

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/185441-stalk-new-mission-type/

Edited by Quatrez

Distraction could be used by shooting an arrow with Thunderbolt or throwing a knife or detonating a Castanna.

Also, enemies don't sound the alarm until they've outright seen you. They become 'alert' when they hear an explosion or see a dead body, but it isn't until you show up they head for the alarm.

Enemy strategies should differ, too. Grineer will stand and fight in the spot, only going for the alarm after your killed several of them. Corpus, on the other hand, will go for the alarm much sooner, but only Crewmen will hit the alarms, robots can't.

In terms of level design, there needs to be at most 1 terminal per room, and enemies need to start spawning at least 2 rooms away rather than the random system at present.

Distraction could be used by shooting an arrow with Thunderbolt or throwing a knife or detonating a Castanna.

Also, enemies don't sound the alarm until they've outright seen you. They become 'alert' when they hear an explosion or see a dead body, but it isn't until you show up they head for the alarm.

Enemy strategies should differ, too. Grineer will stand and fight in the spot, only going for the alarm after your killed several of them. Corpus, on the other hand, will go for the alarm much sooner, but only Crewmen will hit the alarms, robots can't.

In terms of level design, there needs to be at most 1 terminal per room, and enemies need to start spawning at least 2 rooms away rather than the random system at present.

Distraction is good and would definitely be something useful, especially for those who can't cloak.

Enemy strategies kind of do differ somewhat, but I'm not sure if that was intentional or just something that happened. With Grineer the melee units are more likely to go for the alarm right off the bat, but the ones with guns tend to stand and fight more. With the Corpus it makes more sense for them to be a tad more wussy, but that is also because when they hit the alarms, it activates defense mechanisms like more robots being released and the ceiling turrets being activated.

For the most part there is almost a console in each room, but sometimes the rooms have different sections or are multi-chambered and generally larger because of it, so it may seem that there isn't. I kinda like it that way. Its more realistic and makes reaching the alarm/the alerter more challenging. 

A better fix would just be to make units still executable after the alarms are sounded. I mean, just because they are aware your around, doesn't mean they know exactly where you are (except the corpus, they have security cameras, but even so) and can't be surprised (especially if you're cloaked).

Distraction is good and would definitely be something useful, especially for those who can't cloak.

Enemy strategies kind of do differ somewhat, but I'm not sure if that was intentional or just something that happened. With Grineer the melee units are more likely to go for the alarm right off the bat, but the ones with guns tend to stand and fight more. With the Corpus it makes more sense for them to be a tad more wussy, but that is also because when they hit the alarms, it activates defense mechanisms like more robots being released and the ceiling turrets being activated.

For the most part there is almost a console in each room, but sometimes the rooms have different sections or are multi-chambered and generally larger because of it, so it may seem that there isn't. I kinda like it that way. Its more realistic and makes reaching the alarm/the alerter more challenging. 

A better fix would just be to make units still executable after the alarms are sounded. I mean, just because they are aware your around, doesn't mean they know exactly where you are (except the corpus, they have security cameras, but even so) and can't be surprised (especially if you're cloaked).

What I meant by the alarm consoles is to LIMIT the number of consoles in each room. Currently in larger rooms there's several at once and multiple enemies run for multiple terminals. For stealth to have a decent shot, this needs to be changed, I feel.

Unrelated, after the alarm sounds it might be cool to be able to cancel it by transmitting a fake 'tenno neutralised' signal on the terminals.

What I meant by the alarm consoles is to LIMIT the number of consoles in each room. Currently in larger rooms there's several at once and multiple enemies run for multiple terminals. For stealth to have a decent shot, this needs to be changed, I feel.

Unrelated, after the alarm sounds it might be cool to be able to cancel it by transmitting a fake 'tenno neutralised' signal on the terminals.

Oh. well that works.

I think the consoles should be destructable or environmentally disabled, like by Volt's electricity or rhino's stomp or something. We have all these powers but can't breakdown walls/doors/consoles, kinda lame.

Oh. well that works.

I think the consoles should be destructable or environmentally disabled, like by Volt's electricity or rhino's stomp or something. We have all these powers but can't breakdown walls/doors/consoles, kinda lame.

Volt's ulti can disable lighting system

I think this is a great idea, but as said above, it would take alot of actual work, and changing how the game is already. The AI's spawning system, and just generally how they're engine works overall. This game has hordes of enemies, and in any game that has as much stealth as gun blazing action, stealth is always gonna take longer, but thats with games with 12-30 guys, nevermind 50-140 or something in a extermination mission which has limited spawns, nevermind other mission types that don't. One way to fix it, is to make enemies spawn at lower numbers so long as your undetected, and give a whole new stealth extermination mission type, as Kintsurugi mentioned. The raidar idea is nice, allowing players to actually predict the enemy better than normally like all ninja should be able to in the first place, and the decoy sounds would actually be nice as well, but there should be some creativity put into that, instead of just throwing a ball somewhere. Maybe being able to walk up to a wall, and tap it, move to a new location, and the enemy who heard it, will check it out, allowing you to slip by or try to assassinate them (speaking of which, no offense to the animators, but the assassination animations should really be improved, I like to watch my success in what I did, but when the guy move in a fast forwarded fashion, it's a huge downer, because I didn't see crap, just got a glimpse of a quick, and frankly, horrible, looking stab in the enemies back) and the lighting system, again, I think is a great idea. But in open places with natural lighting, like earth in the day time, you'd have to improvise, and the fact that volt can already shut down lights, shows that they can open up a way of doing just that, but the engine for volt's moves taking out the lights, may be very different than one that would allow you to shoot or disarm them. Which brings me to alarms. It's normal for them to go straight for the alarm if they see you, but you should be able to stop them in better a fashion than bring bullets raining down on them. I'd get caught by one guy, while the 3-4 behind him hasn't seen me, but I'll have to kill all of them, and maybe more in the next room, so they don't set the alarm, cause I'd have to resort to shooting the one guy that did see me, therefore alerting all the others. Idk how to fix that one, but I'd be nice lol. Also, if DE could, the movements of the AI's are horrible! Again, with how ninja's should be able to predicted movements, you can not in this game, because they can literally just (again, in a fast forwarded fashion) switch from one direction, to another. I'll be trying to snipe, and my crosshair is just a little ahead of where they are running, and in any other game, It'll be a perfect shot, but then just as I go to shoot, they automatically have changed their direction to the opposite way. Where the hell did the frames in the animations go between that change of movement? If people could really do that, football would be easy as hell cause you would be going from left to right without needing to do anything! And no one will be able to predict you, there for catch you, get it? It really frustrates me when i miss cause of impossible movements...