Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr's Dive Bomb & How It Needs To Change

MirageKnight

I think a number of us that have had the chance to really evaluate Zephyr would agree that Dive Bomb is not only bugged, but frustratingly limited in terms of functionality.

Before I talk about how to fix and improve the ability, I'd like to talk about another game that has a similar ability: Space Marine.

For those that have never played said game, MP is somewhat classed-based with one of the player classes being an Assault Marine. ASM's - as they're mostly referred to - have jet packs that allow them to perform a jet-powered leap some distance into the air and then land at a new location some distance away. While in the air however, a player can choose to perform a targeted ground strike, picking a location within a set radius of the player with an easy to see aiming cursor, and then hurtling towards that area and landing feet-first - generating a shockwave that knocks down and injures any enemies within a decent radius of the landing point.

With all that said, this is what I feel needs to be done with Dive Bomb.

1. Rename to Ground Strike.

2. Change the animation so that Zephyr lands feet-first instead of face-planting as she does now. Frankly...it looks $&*&*#(%&.

3. Make it a free targeting ability so you can can actually aim where you want within a set targeting radius. Allow the targeting radius to expand based on the ability's rank / level. Note: The targeting radius would by default be dependent on the player's altitude, being wider the higher up they are.

4. Make the ability do knockdown and stagger in addition to damage. Knockdown should occur within 2m of the player's landing point, expanding based on the ability's rank. There would be a stagger radius of 5m outside the knockdown radius, expanding based on the ability's rank.

Thoughts?

Yes to being able to target the ability and dive where you are actually aiming, as long as it's not upwards... Say in the direction the player's looking with a max 45 degree diagonal dive at most, and not more, not something ridiculous as 90 degree dive into a wall. 

I am completely fine with the name though. The animation doesn't bother me much, but it can be improved, as can everything else really. 

The point of divebomb is a damage ability to the ground when you fly, as is Zephyrs playstyle.

Also, space marine works quite differently from what you described. it is not a FREE aim. it is VERY limited. You descend at a fixed angle, do little damage, but knockdown. You can only change where you're looking.

Zephyr, dives straight down (and is very easy to aim), does Knockdown and does Damage (yes, it DOES do both).

Divebomb does not need changed. If you think it does, you're not using Zephyr right. She is difficult to get used to, and is based completely on mobility, freedom, and most importantly, ACCURACY.

You don't seem to realize that I'm using Space Marine as a basis on how to improve Dive Bomb. I'm quite aware of the limited aim and damage of that ability. What I'm proposing is an improvement of that ability that can be applied to Dive Bomb.

But you're obviously not interested in that.

Yes to being able to target the ability and dive where you are actually aiming, as long as it's not upwards... Say in the direction the player's looking with a max 45 degree diagonal dive at most, and not more, not something ridiculous as 90 degree dive into a wall. 

I am completely fine with the name though. The animation doesn't bother me much, but it can be improved, as can everything else really. 

Sounds good. I still think the face plant anim looks daft, but that's me.

The point of divebomb is a damage ability to the ground when you fly, as is Zephyrs playstyle.

Also, space marine works quite differently from what you described. it is not a FREE aim. it is VERY limited. You descend at a fixed angle, do little damage, but knockdown. You can only change where you're looking.

Zephyr, dives straight down (and is very easy to aim), does Knockdown and does Damage (yes, it DOES do both).

Divebomb does not need changed. If you think it does, you're not using Zephyr right. She is difficult to get used to, and is based completely on mobility, freedom, and most importantly, ACCURACY.

Divebomb does minimal damage and the radius is small.  I'd much rather just wait for the energy for Tornado.