Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Detrimentally Different Warframe Speeds

Estelein

I wanted to point out an issue I have been experiencing in Warframe: it's the speeds that the different warframes have or are capable of acquiring. Here's my simple point: when playing a match in a group with other players, all player characters in the match should have the same movement speed, or at least have the speed variation significantly reduced.

Here are my reasons why:

#1: Having the ability to run across a map at more than half again the speed of the next guy has turned Warframe into a game where the fastest guy is the one who actually gets to see all the action, whereas anyone slower than said character gets to struggle along, moving as fast as he can just to be able to get to the extraction point while making everyone else who got there before he did, and kill all the enemies he literally never even got to see, wait for as little time as possible. I really enjoy playing the Rhino warframe for example, however, I'm completely burned out on the above scenario, even with a speed buffing mod installed. I literally, physically can't keep up, and I'm not the only one nor is the Rhino the only frame experiencing this.

#2: Having all members of a "team" spread out so much in a match due to massive variations in warframe speeds is bad for community in-game. It eliminates any need and desire for cooperation within a match. There's nothing "team" about it: the fastest member kills all the enemies and the slowest one could just as well hoof it straight to the extraction point at the start of a match and in doing so not make the rest of the team wait for him after it finishes killing all enemies on the map. I have actually been playing a lot of solo missions lately because it's literally more enjoyable than trying to just keep up. At that point, where's the reason in having a multiplayer game?

#3: The speed discrepancy is especially bad for someone just starting to play Warframe because they don't have a warframe that is ranked up enough to install a run speed buffing mod on, let alone the mod itself. A new player just getting into the game may likely decide they don't want to keep playing the game if they can't actually participate in combat simply due to the fact that they can't physically keep up.

I am not necessarily suggesting removing all speed buffs in Warframe, but rather finding a way of balancing them. It makes some sense to have a "squishier" warframe like Loki be a little bit faster so as to avoid taking damage, but the fact that that warframe can be as much as 73% faster (with a max rank Rush mod) than the slowest is a bit much. I think a maximum variation of no more than 25% would be much more appropriate and helpful overall.

In the end, if I had my way, I would set all warframe speeds to 1 or 1.1, give say the top 3-5 squishiest warframes a +0.1 base speed increase, and rework the Rush mod to have 4 ranks at 3% (or possibly 3 ranks at 5%) each for a total of +12% (or 15%) speed (instead of its current 6 ranks at +5% speed each). 

Thanks DE for a fun game, and I really hope these ideas are taken into consideration.

I wanted to point out an issue I have been experiencing in Warframe: it's the speeds that the different warframes have or are capable of acquiring. Here's my simple point: when playing a match in a group with other players, all player characters in the match should have the same movement speed, or at least have the speed variation significantly reduced.

Here are my reasons why:

#1: Having the ability to run across a map at more than half again the speed of the next guy has turned Warframe into a game where the fastest guy is the one who actually gets to see all the action, whereas anyone slower than said character gets to struggle along, moving as fast as he can just to be able to get to the extraction point while making everyone else who got there before he did, and kill all the enemies he literally never even got to see, wait for as little time as possible. I really enjoy playing the Rhino warframe for example, however, I'm completely burned out on the above scenario, even with a speed buffing mod installed. I literally, physically can't keep up, and I'm not the only one nor is the Rhino the only frame experiencing this.

#2: Having all members of a "team" spread out so much in a match due to massive variations in warframe speeds is bad for community in-game. It eliminates any need and desire for cooperation within a match. There's nothing "team" about it: the fastest member kills all the enemies and the slowest one could just as well hoof it straight to the extraction point at the start of a match and in doing so not make the rest of the team wait for him after it finishes killing all enemies on the map. I have actually been playing a lot of solo missions lately because it's literally more enjoyable than trying to just keep up. At that point, where's the reason in having a multiplayer game?

#3: The speed discrepancy is especially bad for someone just starting to play Warframe because they don't have a warframe that is ranked up enough to install a run speed buffing mod on, let alone the mod itself. A new player just getting into the game may likely decide they don't want to keep playing the game if they can't actually participate in combat simply due to the fact that they can't physically keep up.

I am not necessarily suggesting removing all speed buffs in Warframe, but rather finding a way of balancing them. It makes some sense to have a "squishier" warframe like Loki be a little bit faster so as to avoid taking damage, but the fact that that warframe can be as much as 73% faster (with a max rank Rush mod) than the slowest is a bit much. I think a maximum variation of no more than 25% would be much more appropriate and helpful overall.

In the end, if I had my way, I would set all warframe speeds to 1 or 1.1, give say the top 3-5 squishiest warframes a +0.1 base speed increase, and rework the Rush mod to have 4 ranks at 3% (or possibly 3 ranks at 5%) each for a total of +12% (or 15%) speed (instead of its current 6 ranks at +5% speed each). 

Thanks DE for a fun game, and I really hope these ideas are taken into consideration.

I do understand your frustration, Warframe is far from newbie friendly game, however as the post above me mentioned there are certain weapon+mod combos that increase your speed to $&*&*#(%& amounts. Dual zoren + maxed fury is the most famous(zorencopter) but any one handed melle with high attack speed will do( whips in particular are very good at this)

Having said all that, here comes the time for me to say you lack the skill to move fast. Any frame can be fast enough to keep up with a loki, but your fingers need to dance on the keyboard. Anyways, the easiest way is to get a high attack speed melee weapon and put Fury on it. Enjoy flying around :D

I tend to disagree here... I can see where you are coming from, but I don't think reducing speed variation between frames is the answer. One of the things that i really enjoy about warframe is the variety. Each frame has a somewhat unique feel to it, and sprint speeds really add to this. Whats hurting your gameplay experience is the "speed running" mentality of the majority of the player base. It is one of the reasons I tend to play solo or with close friends a lot. I just find it far more fun to explore and kill things at my leisure. I have had my fair share of speed running and farming, and now that I have some of the best gear in the game I realize that the best way to maintain longevity is to have fun! Now, instead of seeking the "best" weapons for every situation I gravitate towards weapons I find most interesting and fun to use. The same goes for frames. I can see why being the slow poke of the group would really take away from your gameplay, but i really dont think this change would do much. There will always be someone who is able to out finesse, out kill, and out maneuver the rest of the group and speed ahead, and personally I do not want to see the frames become homogeneous. 

As said above, it's not so much the speed but the technique you use. Aka, slide, some parkour, coptering, and mobility abilities. At this point in the game, having different speed for warframes just doesn't make sense. Rhino going super speed, Zephyrs flying around the map, loki switch teleporting with everyone, about all frames coptering and buttsliding their way around. Having low speed is just annoying and the only bonus frames get from low speed is higher armor that is near useless, valkyr being the big exception. However, having low speed just makes some frames painful to play without rush/maglev (frost). 

Edit: If they want to rescue the different speeds for the sake of variety then they have to do it in a balanced way. With pros and cons, like ANY BALANCE. But since warframe lacks ANY sense of balance then you might as well call it quits. 

Edited by Zephyric_Reaper

He's still fat so I'm still gonna poke fun at him during lunch tomorrow. Hehe.

Rhino actually isn't fat. Just bulky. His waist is that of someone who spends to much time at the gym. Plus, his upper body is significantly bulkier than his mid-section. Fat would gather most around the waist, not the shoulders. 

Edited by Plasmaface

I spaced on the topic for a fat kid joke. I apologize.

Back on topic. Instead of uniform speed how about rubberbanding. The further behind the leading tenno you get the faster and longer you run. Your movement is the same, but your sprint speed/stamina will double if you're like 3 or more rooms away. It would only triggers if the tenno closest to the objective/extraction is 3 rooms closer to it than you.

I think the problem lies more with the power levels than the speeds.

The faster running frames are generally the more fragile ones.  In theory, enemies should be enough of a threat to encourage these guys to not want to blitz through the map, but rather to use their speed to avoid enemy fire, while they let their sturdier, slower brethren lead the way.  However, much of the time, content is trivialized.  We slaughter the enemy so fast there's no need to worry about durability.  And so speed matters, because that squishier frame is perfectly fine rushing ahead of the rest of his team, and will happily slaughter an entire room with ease, not even bothering to take cover.

DE needs to decide what they want the game to be.  If they want us to blitz merrily through mobs that aren't much of a challenge, then speeds need to vary less.  If on the other hand, they want content to encourage us to play more tactically, to slow down a bit (and not by means of lame lights), then they need make the necessary balance adjustments to bring down player power levels (nerf weapon damage mods and Efficiency related ones, pretty much).