Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Magnus: Why I Would Prefer It Over The Merlok

(PSN)natek_morzy

I'm a big fan of secondaries. They fit my play style perfectly right next to shotguns and melee weapons.

So my favorite secondary for long-range is definitely the Magnus. It doesn't hit very hard as far as base damage goes but it has a nice critical chance and damage as well as a decent status chance. And, of course, it's fairly accurate even though it is a revolver.

276.70       IMPACT
105.64       PUNCTURE
105.64       SLASH
230.52       TOXIN
16.00         ACCURACY
2.80           BULLETS
9.28           FIRE RATE
4.4x|44.0% CRITICAL / BULLET
65.60%      STATUS PROBABILITY
8                MAGAZINE
2.00           RELOAD

So this is my build. I chose toxic because I generally use this for conclave and toxic it what kills all of those nasty(and sexy) Valkyr's. As you can see I really like the critical chance and damage because it sets it apart from most pistols that can't use a critical AND elemental build.

Merlok... My first reaction is "Wow, that thing is OP." I wonder even how it manages to get so more more power than the Bronco Prime, Brakk and Seer without even considering a nerf. It's also funny that it pretty much replaces the Seer without it being less fire rate than the Seer, good logic...

1093.12     IMPACT
136.64       PUNCTURE
538.02       SLASH
814.72       TOXIN
10.00          ACCURACY
2.80            BULLETS
3.20            FIRE RATE
3.3x|33.0%  CRITICAL / BULLET
83.34%       STATUS PROBABILITY
6                 MAGAZINE

The Merlok is OP yet less fire rate and accuracy. Theres no way I'd prefer it over the Bronco Prime or Magnus. It's just like a better Seer which is great for those who like the Seer. It might be different if the Merlok was a better crit build than the Magnus because it's hard to find pistols I like that can use crit builds.

It's just like a better Seer which is great for those who like the Seer. 

Or, really annoying for those who like the Seer and have 5 Forma in it.

Actually though, it's not the same. Seer has 100% accuracy when zoomed in, and a long zoom. It's a sniper pistol.

The AK Magnus has magically no recoil as opposed to the single variant.

See I don't know why but I've always preferred a single pistol to of dual set. I just feel like it's harder to aim and the increased reload speed never appeals to me. so yes, I had to make three Magnus's to master AkMagnus.

The AkBronco Prime will be special, though, since I'll just want to shoot it at my Vortex with Vauban.

Or, really annoying for those who like the Seer and have 5 Forma in it.

Actually though, it's not the same. Seer has 100% accuracy when zoomed in, and a long zoom. It's a sniper pistol.

Hah you're right, my friend loves his Seer. I suppose they might seem the same to me, though, as I don't use the Seer and don't know how bad 10 accuracy is.

I forma'd and potatoed a Grinlok before the Marelok came out. Didn't think it would be that much better. Now we wait for the Twin Mareloks. For increased critical chance and damage and better IPS numbers.

As a PS4 user I plan to use the Grinlok when the update hits PS4. I think it will be a nice semi-auto rifle.

I'm just wondering how the heck will the reload animation for two lever action carbines will look like. I already potatoed my marelock but It's worth it and I'll probably have another blud spud by the time the Ak-version comes.

It's the same situation with the AkMagnus. In fact AkMerlok would probably be less weird since AkMagnus are revolvers... but hey.. We're ninja's.

I'm a big fan of secondaries. They fit my play style perfectly right next to shotguns and melee weapons.

So my favorite secondary for long-range is definitely the Magnus. It doesn't hit very hard as far as base damage goes but it has a nice critical chance and damage as well as a decent status chance. And, of course, it's fairly accurate even though it is a revolver.

276.70       IMPACT
105.64       PUNCTURE
105.64       SLASH
230.52       TOXIN
16.00         ACCURACY
2.80           BULLETS
9.28           FIRE RATE
4.4x|44.0% CRITICAL / BULLET
65.60%      STATUS PROBABILITY
8                MAGAZINE
2.00           RELOAD

So this is my build. I chose toxic because I generally use this for conclave and toxic it what kills all of those nasty(and sexy) Valkyr's. As you can see I really like the critical chance and damage because it sets it apart from most pistols that can't use a critical AND elemental build.

Merlok... My first reaction is "Wow, that thing is OP." I wonder even how it manages to get so more more power than the Bronco Prime, Brakk and Seer without even considering a nerf. It's also funny that it pretty much replaces the Seer without it being less fire rate than the Seer, good logic...

1093.12     IMPACT
136.64       PUNCTURE
538.02       SLASH
814.72       TOXIN
10.00          ACCURACY
2.80            BULLETS
3.20            FIRE RATE
3.3x|33.0%  CRITICAL / BULLET
83.34%       STATUS PROBABILITY
6                 MAGAZINE

The Merlok is OP yet less fire rate and accuracy. Theres no way I'd prefer it over the Bronco Prime or Magnus. It's just like a better Seer which is great for those who like the Seer. It might be different if the Merlok was a better crit build than the Magnus because it's hard to find pistols I like that can use crit builds.

all this post consists of is *@##$ing about the new hottness that came out, and how much damage it does.

it's stats should not matter to you considering you have the magnus as your favored sidearm. JUST BECAUSE A NEW, MORE POTENT WEAPON COMES OUT, DOES NOT REDUCE THE POWER OR EFFECTIVENESS OF YOUR WEAPON, UNLESS THE WEAPON YOU ARE USING IS NERFED.

please stop with these thinly veiled inb4 nerf merelock threads.

all this post consists of is *@##$ing about the new hottness that came out, and how much damage it does.

it's stats should not matter to you considering you have the magnus as your favored sidearm. JUST BECAUSE A NEW, MORE POTENT WEAPON COMES OUT, DOES NOT REDUCE THE POWER OR EFFECTIVENESS OF YOUR WEAPON, UNLESS THE WEAPON YOU ARE USING IS NERFED.

I do not believe that was necessary but thank you for your input.

This is a hard one for me. I have both akmagnus and marelok, and like them both quite a lot. For me, whichever one I use depends on my primary. They are different niche weapons. I use the marelok when I'm only worried about a few enemies getting close to me, and the akmagnus when I'm worried about crowds. I don't think marelok needs high crit chance, because it has quite dependable damage anyway. Calling it OP is really pretty needless, because it isn't. As the OP has rather shown by the effectiveness of an Akmagnus crit build.That said, I hope Akmarelok never happens, because then the nerf threads would run rampant. Keep our gun great.

Edited by instig8r

Actually I'm gonna have to disagree with ya there Lee...

1) New content is created with player power caps (and medians/lows) in mind.

If your fav gun does 10 DPS, and a very similar, readily accessible 20 DPS model comes out, DE's next balance pass is going to take it into consideration that many players have the ability to deal 20 DPS. So your gun becomes less viable longterm.

2) Yes, this is a co-op game. So is team basketball. Ever played on a basketball team? Of course you have. Do you want to score lots of points/rebounds/assists or whatever your position does, to help the team win? YES.

Do you want to score less assists than the other assist guy, just because that guy bought new spring-loaded sneakers on that let him jump higher? Those weren't even allowed when you started playing - and you like your worn in shoes. No.

You either want springs on your shoes, or his shoes to come with some drawback to offset the springs.

There's my long-winded analogy for the day :D

Actually I'm gonna have to disagree with ya there Lee...

1) New content is created with player power caps (and medians/lows) in mind.

If your fav gun does 10 DPS, and a very similar, readily accessible 20 DPS model comes out, DE's next balance pass is going to take it into consideration that many players have the ability to deal 20 DPS. So your gun becomes less viable longterm.

2) Yes, this is a co-op game. So is team basketball. Ever played on a basketball team? Of course you have. Do you want to score lots of points/rebounds/assists or whatever your position does, to help the team win? YES.

Do you want to score less assists than the other assist guy, just because that guy bought new spring-loaded sneakers on that let him jump higher? Those weren't even allowed when you started playing - and you like your worn in shoes. No.

You either want springs on your shoes, or his shoes to come with some drawback to offset the springs.

There's my long-winded analogy for the day :D

normally i would agree, but these stats are posted in reference to weapon stats and doing more damage than his favored sidearm, which is a personal opinion. this is a "my favorite sidearm now has a more powerful variant that does way more damage than my favorite sidearm. favored is a personal decision on which is your favorite for whatever reason (looks, style, fire method, etc). the op stated that the merlock is insanely op, so there is NO WAY IT would replace his magnus as his favored sidearm. make sense?

i'd have no issues if he was wanting to make some adjustments to the math side of the table regarding his favored sidearm, however its just another thinly veiled "merelock is op" thread.

edit: if your theoretical 10 dps sidearm is replaced by player choice for the 20 dps model, the 10 dps model still does 10 dps, its just up to the player as to whether they are sticking with the 10 dps model, or moving to the 20, but regardless the 10 dps model still is going to do 10 dps unless it has been nerfed/buffed.

Edited by ObviousLee

normally i would agree, but these stats are posted in reference to weapon stats and doing more damage than his favored sidearm, which is a personal opinion. this is a "my favorite sidearm now has a more powerful variant that does way more damage than my favorite sidearm. favored is a personal decision on which is your favorite for whatever reason (looks, style, fire method, etc). the op stated that the merlock is insanely op, so there is NO WAY IT would replace his magnus as his favored sidearm. make sense?

i'd have no issues if he was wanting to make some adjustments to the math side of the table regarding his favored sidearm, however its just another thinly veiled "merelock is op" thread.

True.

I think I'm going to stop using/thinking the term OP, and instead (think too-easy-to-obtain/doesn't have enough drawbacks) to justify its power.

True.

I think I'm going to stop using/thinking the term OP, and instead (think too-easy-to-obtain/doesn't have enough drawbacks) to justify its power.

now THAT is a statement i can completely agree with.

instead of just focusing on weapons damage output, maybe we ALL should be focusing on suggesting logical weapon drawbacks that would not only make sense, but JUSTIFY insanity based damage, yes?

I main my secondary more than any other weapon, just cant get enough of those Akvastos!

Dual revolvers.. it just doesn't get any cooler.. and their damage output is up there..

112 Impact

112 Puncture

1080 Corrosive or Magnetic or Gas (Depending on Which Faction)

now THAT is a statement i can completely agree with.

instead of just focusing on weapons damage output, maybe we ALL should be focusing on suggesting logical weapon drawbacks that would not only make sense, but JUSTIFY insanity based damage, yes?

Yes, and I am working on that proposal :)

I'm still going to argue that the Marelok isn't out of line unless you consider some older weapons to be out of line as well.  I don't think it needs to be "balanced" -cough-nerfed-, ahem.  But maybe some others might need to come up. 

In theory*, using what I would call an ideal build for each, you can dish out ~60k of damage in 2.5 seconds emptying all six rounds of the Marelok before needing to reload. 

Under the same conditions, ~71k of damage in 1.8 seconds (emptying all 30 rounds) from the AkBolto before reload. 

*that is, assuming you can fire at full speed, have a deserving target (no overkill) during that time, acquire new targets instantly, and all shots hit.  A lot of IFs I know!  

Where the Marelok just about catches up is in the reload time, but the AkBolto is still a little better in total damage output.

Looking at the numbers this same way does put the Dual Vastos way behind the Marelok.  Like, half of the total damage.  I'll still use them though, because they are a lot of fun.  But I guess I will take the Bolts or the Marelok on long duration missions.  

Edited by Don_T_Shoot