Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Feedback And Request] Dual Ether, Ether Sword, And Ether Daggers Are Too Visible.

Jathniel

I remember when I first played this game. I recall the Ether Sword, and Dual Ethers being the weapons I would gun for, purely on merit of their form (even though their function isn't disappointing either).

That look of a FORMLESS, nearly invisible blade took my breathe away.

I never thought there could be a fantasy blade that I would find more beautiful than the lightsaber.
lightsaber_10.jpg

But I was wrong. As beautiful as I find the lightsaber to be... I had an affair with the Ether Sword.

It had a blade that you could not see, were it not for the visible outline from the energy flowing through it.

But all that has changed.

I have the entire Ether weapon collection, and only the Ether Reaper maintains its beauty.
The beauty of the other Ether weapons has been marred into a "crystal sword" look of some sort.

Compare the transparency of the Ether Reaper. Almost no matter the angle, the blade always remains almost totally transparent, and it NEVER drowns out the color of the energy flowing through it. The blade is NOT brighter than the energy.
negu3l.png

Now compare the other Ether Sword. I blackened the Loki and switched to the primary just so the white glow doesn't bleed into my armor. In the still you can clearly see the blade a LOT more than the energy.
242x3bl.png

And on missions, all you get is this big ugly white hazy glow for a blade.
33jlh1f.png

Dual Ether isn't better off. Why was this crystal look emphasized over the previous contrast of invisible blade/energy outline?
2vl468p.png

Ether Daggers show the problem even further, because they are smaller. No color I pick for the weapon is going to matter, because the white crystal blade is going to dominate and outshine it. Light angle does not change this:
2m2i1a8.png

Different angle, same problem. No angle makes the color of the ether daggers (or any of the ether weapons) as lovely as they used to be.
el5o4m.png

Now compare those to the Ether Reaper. The energy color within the Ether Reaper is always pronounced and contrasting, and even at a distance the energy is what glows and NOT the blade.
f38akg.png

The Ether weapons are very beautifully designed. But a change has happened, that I do not have the expertise to identify.
All I can do is point out the difference that i observe.
The Ether Reaper maintains the look that all the Ether weapons once shared. I would like for the other Ether weapons to reacquire their cosmetic glory.

EDIT: Please excuse the screenshots. Hitting Ctrl+V in MS Paint the way I did didn't properly sit on top of the first screenshot.

EDIT 2: To be perfectly clear, nothing is wrong with the Ether Reaper. The problem is with the Ether Sword, Ether Daggers, and Dual Ethers.

Edited by Jathniel

To be fair, the weapons were meant to be glass-like, not completely transparent.

Well, I didn't know. :(

From the name "Ether" I was assuming an 'ethereal' (delicate, tenuous, airy) blade, was the intention.

Basically, a blade that IS NOT there, but cutting power that IS.

Shows how much I know.

I don't have much reason to keep these other Ether weapons in my inventory if this is how they're going to remain.

Well, I didn't know. :(

From the name "Ether" I was assuming an 'ethereal' (delicate, tenuous, airy) blade, was the intention.

Basically, a blade that IS NOT there, but cutting power that IS.

Shows how much I know.

I don't have much reason to keep these other Ether weapons in my inventory if this is how they're going to remain.

I wasn't gunning you down, no worries. Just providing my opinion, and stuff from what I remember. Maybe they were meant to be the blade that isn't there but cuts as if it were, I just always assumed it was a glass blade.

I would heavily suggest the art team to make the Ether weapons with less sheen and more 'transparent glass' like of the Ether Reaper. OP is quite correct. I noticed this when I had the Ether set as well. Don't get me wrong, the Dual Ethers were my first melee weapon after Skana, but damn does the Reaper look so much better in terms of "etherness" and energy punctuation.

I would heavily suggest the art team to make the Ether weapons with less sheen and more 'transparent glass' like of the Ether Reaper. OP is quite correct. I noticed this when I had the Ether set as well. Don't get me wrong, the Dual Ethers were my first melee weapon after Skana, but damn does the Reaper look so much better in terms of "etherness" and energy punctuation.

QFT

Everything I said, but more concisely articulated.

• 1 month later...

It's not much of a necro, last post was only 2 months ago. A real necro is bumping a thread from a year ago about obsolete mechanics, like a thread on Ether weapons serrated blade damage.

Also, I agree with OP. Fully transparent blades would give the Ethers some real character (and swag) over other weapons.