The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Distilling Extractors - Are They Worth It?

Lorane_Airwing

Yes yes RNG i know that's what most people are going to say, BUT. For the cost of resources, the hours to make them, and finally the knowledge that you need to baby sit it much more closely than your titan extractors... Is it worth it? They feel incredibly lacking, a resource drone that is more likely to return rare resources is acting no different than a titan extractor. I have picked up enough nanospores from both types of extractors to see no real difference, and both seem to collect detonite ampules with ease.

On a side note here is some math:

Lets give titan extractors the benefit of the doubt and make titan extractors more likely than they are to collect rare resources ( as we lack the actual numbers )..

peasant filth? = 40%

common         = 40%

uncommon     = 10%

rare                = 10%

in four hours we have a chance at the percentiles above.

Lets also give distilling extractors an advantage by making their chances of collecting uncommen and rare resources higher than they probably are ( again no numbers, i only have the in game description ).

peasant filth? = 10%?

common         = 20%

uncommon     = 40%

rare                = 30%

in 8 hours we have a chance at the percentiles above. Here is where we reach our first problem with the current distilling extractors, time is resources. While distilling extractors currently return twice as much as the current extractor it's wait period nullifies that benefit. To calculate this we need to use something called "Expected return".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_return

This formula is used to check the expected returns of a stock based on the chance of the stock giving a return and how much of our investment it will return, 50% at 20% return for example.

To explain the math, we want to find which of the two extractors, over the same period of time ( as such the distilling extractor will only go for 4 hour, but this is not important, at least right now ) will give a good return on our investment. As such all peasant trash, and common resources will have a 0% return importance to us when looking for rare materials. We want to collect rare materials, so uncommon and rare resources each have 50% returns

peasant filth? = 0% returns

common = 0% returns

uncommon = 50% returns

rare = 50% returns

Σ[R] = (0.4)(0) + (0.4)(0) + (0.1)(50) + (0.1)(50) = 10%

This is the titan extractors results, to explain: (0.4)(0)  is 40% with 0% returns, either common or peasant trash resources. (0.1)(50) is 10% with 50% returns, or a rare resource The final calculation shows that our "investment" of 4 hours has a 10% chance to return either uncommon or rare resources.

Lets move onto the distilling extractor.

Σ[R] = (0.1)(0) + (0.2)(0) + (0.4)(50) + (0.3)(50) = 35%

Hmmm, we have a higher chance to collect rare resources do we not? So this should be definitive proof the distilling extractor is better? Sadly not, because we need to include time into our math. Due to the distilling extractors extended 8 hour wait opposed to 4 hours of waiting, we can either say that the titan extractor is twice as likely to collect rare resources, or that the distilling extractor is half as likely to collect rare resources as a titan extractor can do twice as many runs in the same amount of time a distilling extractor can! Lets treat it as if the distilling extractor arrives in half the time it normally would, as such it's chances of collecting rare resources are halved to compensate.

as such we are now 10% vs 17.5% titan vs distilling. These percentiles are nearly the same, While ~10 percent could be the difference between an orokin cell or nanospores, this is far from substantial even with the 4 extra hour wait. While this small report does prove the distilling extractor has a chance to return rare resources more often the result is far from promising. As such i will leave this post with a possible fix,

peasant filth? = 0%

common         = 30%

uncommon     = 40%

rare                = 30%

Σ[R] = (0)(0) + (0.3)(0) + (0.4)(100) + (0.3)(100) = 70%

Would have an expected rare material return of 70%, with an 8 hour wait, and the same capacity of a titan extractor, as well as it's higher cost to construct.

Edited by Lorane_Airwing

As VKhaun stated, you based yourself on numbers you pulled out of thin air, so the wonderful work you did afterwards is sadly worth next to nothing. We don't know the drop rates and DE won't give them to us, so the most useful thing we can get out of the OP is

peasant filth

EDIT: In any case, thanks for educating and entertaining us some. As soon as the new extractors came out I took a look at them and quickly concluded they were worthless. There goes the only reason I might've had to buy the new Prime Access.

Edited by Guest

So far, I've been very displeased with mine. Keeping in mind I only have the one I got with the purchase since I haven't taken the time to build any more, out of maybe 14 claims I've gotten from it, probably 8 of them or more have been detonite injectors since they're considered uncommon... So honestly, as of current I personally can't say they're worth it.

As VKhaun stated, you based yourself on numbers you pulled out of thin air, so the wonderful work you did afterwards is sadly worth next to nothing. We don't know the drop rates and DE won't give them to us, so the most useful thing we can get out of the OP is

Aye, they are pulled out of the air, but they are at least generous. The issue is that the time it takes for the extractor to collect resources kills it's benefit. Judging by what I've had drop ( again, rng is amazing at fouling up results, so i hardly take this as fact) I get more rare resources from 2 runs of a single titan extractor than a single distilling extractor. While a distilling can hold twice as many resources it means nothing if it brings back twice as many nanospores when a titan extractor has returned once with spores and again with detonite or orokin cells. the titan extractor simply has more chances to do it's job "right" in the time it takes for the distilling to return from it's job.

You know what they should make? A weapon that uses Detonite Ampules and Fieldron Samples as ammo. Or just, you know, let us make a big pile out of them and make it burn. It would be so cathartic.