Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bolter And Chainsword

Chrome_Dragon

An idea I've had kicking around to balance dual swords and akimbo pistols versus their single counterparts - when using one-handed weapons (dark dagger, I'm looking right at you) with single pistols, tenno can carry one in each hand, seamlessly switching between guns and blades with no transition time, as well as comboing fisticuffs with violence of a more remote nature.

When I described this to a couple friends, they immediately recognized this as the fighting style shown in Warhammer's excellent Space Marine.

Perhaps it would be prudent to mastery-lock this - both weapons must be above 10 or 15, perhaps; one cannot take liberties effectively with a fighting style they don't really know.

I think you mean to lock it based on weapon rank.  Other than that, I think that it could be a nice addition, though I imagine a pain in the a** for the animation team.  Maybe something as simple as being able to go for a low sweep melee attack when rolling, even if your secondary is equipped.  I can also think of quite a few melee inclusive combos (cause DE have talked about combos).  Maybe if you quick melee strike, then bring up the pistol to shoot the guy, while you get another strike from your melee ready.  Spins also. XD

Also, it adds the amusing possibility of pistol whipping - and figuring out how much impact damage a Lato does when you smack someone over the head with it.

And yes, I think you've got exactly the sort of matrix gunfu wuxia stuff I'm imagining here.  Run with it!  :D

My example:  Roll into melee.  Run someone through with your sword.  Kick him - a good old fashioned Greek gastration, or gut-kick (or, aim a little lower, and turn it into a castration!), to remove him from your blade.  Then, while the poor sap is staggering back, open his mind with a couple rounds from your sidearm.  Brutal - but quick and practical.

Edited by Chrome_Dragon

The only delay is the weapon-switch animation, which is short - and which can be eliminated.

Also, when switching from a longarm to a sword, I'd like to see the gun simply dropped, to hang by a sling.  It's the sort of little detail that always throws me about the animation; currently, the gun just teleports to a storage position on your back, but it's retrieved by hand.

Having your pistol out when you're using a single-handed weapon sounds like a good idea, though not sure how it'd be integrated into longsword fighting stances that require two hands, like the majority of weapons in Warframe so far.

Though yes, Space Marine was one of my first thoughts when I played this game, with the seamless switching between melee and ranged. In fact, my current keyboard layout is identical to Space Marine's, with melee on right click.

Also, didn't you mean Boltor and Chainsword? =P

Now I suddenly want a Heavy Boltor or a Storm Boltor, since the Boltor Prime is pretty much a Space Marine Bolter in all but name...

Edited by LGear