Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reworking Status Effects.

Innocent_Flower

status, sadly, is pretty much nothing next to critical. This is strange because status is the pretty way to kill. So I've politely composed a list of how to fix this. 

Gameplay

Seperate status chance into minor and major. (for some effects)

- Minor status occurrence happens more often . The effect only appearing near the shot part. For example shooting someone's hand and setting their arm on fire, but not setting the entire body aflame. 

- Major; Rarer. Usually occurring when entirely engulfed in an explosion, when several minors happen or possibly when status and crit simultaneously occur. The effect is more severe. So whilst a minor status cryo hit to the arm might slow the frost covered arm, a major status would turn the arm to ice so that it is entirely stiff and shatter able.

Status effects

- Duration is different for each status's explosion effect. For example a gas explosion will linger for several seconds and cause damage over time whilst electricity will be instant. 

-Thunderbolt explosions are based on status effects and punc/slash/impact, Should help the Mod scale too. 

Mods

- This is what gets me about status chance at the moment and why it's so weak in comparison to critical. When you see that normal mods increase the status by 2.5 to 15% and nightmare mods increase by 10 or 15% each level (but only for three or so levels) whilst critical boosts by 25% for a standard mod and you can easily boost your crit rate by over 150%.

There are two solutions to this.

A: change that 2.5 into something like a 25

B: have that 2.5 added on to whatever's there. No multiplying. If a weapon had 20% status and you added the unranked mod you'd have a weapon that has 22.5 status. If you had a weapon that did 5% status and you added the mod you'd have 7.5 status. 

Visuals

As stated previously- Status effects for only part of the body. Freeze legs, corrode arms, Literally set fire to grineer &#!. What'd go extra well with this is animations for the effect, Limping with that frozen leg, waving that frozen arm in pain, shaking that &#! (couldn't resist. If they just sat down or rolled over to put out the flames though- players would feel glorious) 

-Show status effects with explosions. Explosions that only do gas damage shouldn't be represented by a fireball. If a weapon uses two elemental explosions (blast+ viral or something) Then both elements should be shown together. This also applies to thunderbolt. 

- Whilst not as important as explosions and probably a lot more work; If beam/energy bolts/arrows were visualy changed by status mods... that'd be great. 

With mellee weaponry- Only have the visual effect shown when the weapon is swung. Never when it's sitting behind your spine. What wise tenno wants deadly radiation constantly lighting up their back? But it'd be too much of a copout to just remove elemental weapon effects entirely. It's be just as weird if grineer started bursting into flame when they got cut. It'd seriously look good if weapons emit effects when they're being used. Especially if each effect had it's own unique trail (heat haze, embers, smoke, mist, acid spray and so on)

So I think these changes (along with some parkour stuff) would make update 14/13.5 the best update. Some people just want to watch grineer burn.  

Edited by Innocent_Flower

status, sadly, is pretty much nothing next to critical.

Tell that to my viral guns that halve max health. Or radiation which just makes the enemies turn on each other. Or toxin just eat through health even when there is a shield.

What they should do is fix the status based weapons *cough tysis* so that the percent that we get once we've added all of our mods is what actually happens. Other than that they seem fine to me.

Edit: Also you can apparently completely remove armor with corrosive and magnetic procs completely remove shields.

Edited by immolator1001

Tell that to my viral guns that halve max health. Or radiation which just makes the enemies turn on each other. Or toxin just eat through health even when there is a shield.

What they should do is fix the status based weapons *cough tysis* so that the percent that we get once we've added all of our mods is what actually happens. Other than that they seem fine to me.

^this

Also status isnt meant to be a stand alone reason for using a gun. Status has to be used in conjunction with elements.

Actually the problem is how to proc what I want my gun to proc in physical weapons modded with elemental damage. Pure elemental weapons are just fine with the system since they deal elemental damage, one type of damage. Physical weapon got impact/puncture/slash that competitively proc against other desired trait that you put into the gun. One problem with weapon like Grakata is the fact that even when you give it blast damage and high proc chance, you don't get blast proc all the time but got mixture of other physicals instead.

Imo, proc priority should be adjustable through swapping mod polarity. If you want blast proc more than physical proc then place fire/ice in front of serration.

Imo, proc priority should be adjustable through swapping mod polarity. If you want blast proc more than physical proc then place fire/ice in front of serration.

Either this or making it percentage based on how much of each type there is (if thats how it works already then nevermind)