Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are The Tenno Genderless?

Deidaku

I believe that we are of malleable body, and perhaps hermaphroditic. Perhaps.

Take this for an example:

"Vivec then reached out from the egg all his limbs and features, merging with the simulacrum of his mother, gilled and blended in all the arts of the starwounded East, under water and in fire and in metal and in ash, six times the wise, and he became the union of male and female, the magic hermaphrodite, the martial axiom, the sex-death of language and unique in all the middle world"

That was Vivec hatching from his "egg" in the Elder Scrolls. Essentially, why cant we just switch? Embrace masculinity and femininity, and the traits from both?

VIvec draws power from that, He's the Warrior God of the Tribunal.

If you happen to need further proof, eventually we'll be leveling our own Tenno up with skills that apply to us alone. That and Mastery rank, which gives an individual Tenno priveledge. As well as the fact that we are referenced as one Tenno, by name despite being in different frames.

Edited by Gaminus

Is that sarcasm? I remember the last time we seemingly agreed on something you used sarcasm.

No not at all, sorry I do try not to employ sarcasm to often on the interweebs if I do i try to make it really obvious by spelling words with lots of extra vowels. I don't recall that incident though and don't remember sarcastically agreeing with anyone recently, often I'm not sure who I'm talking to from habit of looking at avatars and not names, works everywhere but here.  I do remember the last thread we were a part of not ending too terribly well but I don't hold grudges. Differences of opinion and all. 

If I find the thread I'll probably have to go apologize I can make an immense butt of myself when I get frustrated. I don't mean to but I have been mortified by some of the things I've said when re-reading them. 

Edited by NevanChambers

Well, we know it's possible for tenno to appear gendered outside of frames, because the current hostages are supposedly tenno, and Ember Prime's codex entry indicates that it was a scared young GIRL that caused the burns.  Now I've been apt to accept the one tenno, many frames explanation based on the fact that apparently Focus will be a single skill across all frames.  Unless they perhaps split 1 for male and 1 for female frames.

I believe that we are of malleable body, and perhaps hermaphroditic. Perhaps.

Take this for an example:

"Vivec then reached out from the egg all his limbs and features, merging with the simulacrum of his mother, gilled and blended in all the arts of the starwounded East, under water and in fire and in metal and in ash, six times the wise, and he became the union of male and female, the magic hermaphrodite, the martial axiom, the sex-death of language and unique in all the middle world"

That was Vivec hatching from his "egg" in the Elder Scrolls. Essentially, why cant we just switch? Embrace masculinity and femininity, and the traits from both?

VIvec draws power from that, He's the Warrior God of the Tribunal.

If you happen to need further proof, eventually we'll be leveling our own Tenno up with skills that apply to us alone. That and Mastery rank, which gives an individual Tenno priveledge. As well as the fact that we are referenced as one Tenno, by name despite being in different frames.

Extra points for referencing Morrowind.

Ember Prime Codex entry.

Edit: Tenno'd

The whole lore is constantly updating and pointing towards "Tenno were human, got mutated by the Void, and Warframes are built to compliment that one dude who got mutated in that one way."

Two codex entries for _Warframes_ (Not Tenno) talking about the powers for the _first_ Warframe of a line... or are you also claiming that there is only ever one Excalibur one Ember etc, and any time the player sees the same 'frame that they're wearing on a cell-mate we should just ignore it 1984-doublethink-style, same with clans. (Also since the Alad V cinematic all Excalibur's are dead?)

Personally I see them talking about the origin of powers that are now _in_ those Warframes lines and talking about the unique Tenno who were the progenitors. _not_ making sweeping statements about all Tenno ever (Because, if you remember, DE said they didn't want to define _your_ Tenno, which means those talked about in the codex are _other_ Tenno.)

The thing I don't get about the concept of poly-tenno is that it is _easy_ to design a game where you play multiple characters. Where the progress track is unique to each individual. It's also easy to make up crap like the LoL "summoner" if you want to explain away a set of duplicated "unique" characters, but DE didn't, they went with classic single player mechanics and dialogue. 

You don't go making up in-world concepts like the "cell" as the in-game team and the "clan" as an affiliation of many Tenno and then ignore this _other_ group that every player supposedly has, never mention it. Never even suggest it exists, _always_ have the in-game Lotus talk directly to the "Tenno", have bosses refer to you as "Tenno" and use your account name. 

I just can't think of them as _that_ sloppy when the alternative would be so easy to do.,...

_But_ I can imagine that there is in-game lore that explains why a single Tenno fits in may Warframes I _can_ see DE keeping that to themselves for the time-being. That is something that I can see being a part of the journey of self discovery as you play the game.

It just makes more sence when the options are:

1. There is lore we don't know.

2. DE are incapable of shaping their game mechanics to the story they want to tell

#1 is just _so_ much more likely

CHIM

Edited by SilentMobius

She keeps things from us.

But why?  It cant be completely malicious. 

Perhaps she put us to sleep, if she's the one who did that,

Why did she wipe our memories? 

Maybe to shield us from the guilt.

It may be that the Lotus (as I continuously suggest) is a rebel organisation which mask themselves to protect their identities, and the Lotus that talks to us is merely a single operator amongst hundreds.

It would explain why she doesn't tell us everything: She isn't entirely informed herself, and can only say what she is told, including what would keep the Tenno on-side and alive.

Back on topic, I believe the Tenno are sexless in and of themselves, but not genderless.

Plus, there are hundreds of Tenno, their Warframes are made by the Tenno, only Prime warframes are original Orokin relics, but the Warframes are definitely just suits of armour.

Edited by GraalOhOtonami

I wasn't the one who said that, so I can't provide any context as to what he's/she's thinking.

Where'd you get that? That sounds pretty cool.

EDIT: the fact that we haven't grown as children and that we radiate immense power, not that we're separate individuals. 

I don't know about the "haven't grown" bit. But maybe I'm not seeing something the way you do?

That was just my idea for why one person can fit in multiple frames of differing sizes, if they're significantly smaller than most/all of them.

That was just my idea for why one person can fit in multiple frames of differing sizes, if they're significantly smaller than most/all of them.

What about being able to maniuplate biology easier?

After all, we have quite... strange features at times. 

Nekro's skeleton, Volt's knees, Zephyr's feet, Excalibur's feet. 

We can obviously manipulate it almost like putty, Why not do so on a more drastic scale?

Two codex entries for _Warframes_ (Not Tenno) talking about the powers for the _first_ Warframe of a line... or are you also claiming that there is only ever one Excalibur one Ember etc, and any time the player sees the same 'frame that they're wearing on a cell-mate we should just ignore it 1984-doublethink-style, same with clans. (Also since the Alad V cinematic all Excalibur's are dead?)

Personally I see them talking about the origin of powers that are now _in_ those Warframes lines and talking about the unique Tenno who were the progenitors. _not_ making sweeping statements about all Tenno ever (Because, if you remember, DE said they didn't want to define _your_ Tenno, which means those talked about in the codex are _other_ Tenno.)

The thing I don't get about the concept of poly-tenno is that it is _easy_ to design a game where you play multiple characters. Where the progress track is unique to each individual. It's also easy to make up crap like the LoL "summoner" if you want to explain away a set of duplicated "unique" characters, but DE didn't, they went with classic single player mechanics and dialogue. 

You don't go making up in-world concepts like the "cell" as the in-game team and the "clan" as an affiliation of many Tenno and then ignore this _other_ group that every player supposedly has, never mention it. Never even suggest it exists, _always_ have the in-game Lotus talk directly to the "Tenno", have bosses refer to you as "Tenno" and use your account name. 

I just can't think of them as _that_ sloppy when the alternative would be so easy to do.,...

_But_ I can imagine that there is in-game lore that explains why a single Tenno fits in may Warframes I _can_ see DE keeping that to themselves for the time-being. That is something that I can see being a part of the journey of self discovery as you play the game.

It just makes more sence when the options are:

1. There is lore we don't know.

2. DE are incapable of shaping their game mechanics to the story they want to tell

#1 is just _so_ much more likely

CHIM

Chim Chimeny chim chimeny chim chim cheru

Touch my spear.

What about being able to maniuplate biology easier?

After all, we have quite... strange features at times. 

Nekro's skeleton, Volt's knees, Zephyr's feet, Excalibur's feet. 

We can obviously manipulate it almost like putty, Why not do so on a more drastic scale?

The warframes are separate, living, semi-organic entities that we have a symbiotic relationship with. We get wrapped up inside them. I suppose we might not be child sized, and it's simply that different frames have different amounts of mass, with some, like Excalibur, leaving parts of our body exposed, which is why our back (the non color changeable part) is visible.

She keeps things from us.

But why?  It cant be completely malicious. 

Perhaps she put us to sleep, if she's the one who did that,

Why did she wipe our memories? 

Maybe to shield us from the guilt.

It's possible, She has shown to be capable of compassion and cares for the Tenno, (from the exit dialogue when defeating the G3) If she is an AI built for the management of the Tenno, as has been suggested, a motherly disposition towards "her" Tenno could have been programmed in or developed spontaneously. 

I can almost hear it. 

"Sleep now Tenno, you did what you must. When you wake your pain will be gone. You will know only loyalty to one another, and this will never happen again."

It makes a sort of sense even. If the Tenno are known as honorable and loyal the betrayal of the Orokin even if they took action because it was necessary would likely have felt and incredible burden of shame. Wiping the slate clean could have been a sort of seppuku analog in a sense killing their old selves who would be gone in a puff of amnesia when they woke.

I dunno it's all speculative nonsense but I did enjoy writing it and I don't think it violates known lore 

The warframes are separate, living, semi-organic entities that we have a symbiotic relationship with. We get wrapped up inside them. I suppose we might not be child sized, and it's simply that different frames have different amounts of mass, with some, like Excalibur, leaving parts of our body exposed, which is why our back (the non color changeable part) is visible.

Or we simply don't need armor since we have Metallic skin, like Hayden himself.

But the question stands, if you are the same Tenno, why can you fit into a Nekros or Nova frame, while being able to fully fill an Excalibur?

Its not even a matter of size, really. It's also anatomy like where joints are, and height.

Edited by Gaminus

Or we simply don't need armor since we have Metallic skin, like Hayden himself.

But the question stands, if you are the same Tenno, why can you fit into a Nekros or Nova frame, while being able to fully fill an Excalibur?

Its not even a matter of size, really. It's also anatomy like where joints are, and height.

That was part of why I said children, contained entirely in the torso.

That was part of why I said children, contained entirely in the torso.

That would be incredibly silly. No.

As I've said before, and I'll reiterate again, the fact that we have multiple Tenno or one Tenno is completely up to the player.

Perhaps DE simply wants to keep it that way. Or not.

I can almost hear it. 

"Sleep now Tenno, you did what you must. When you wake your pain will be gone. You will know only loyalty to one another, and this will never happen again."

Close, here is an actual rip from the U8 language files before they were encrypted:

Do you hear that my Tenno? The silence of tyrants who fell by your blade? Your sacrifice is complete and you should rest. The cryo-chamber will wipe away the unpleasantness of what has passed. When you are called to wake, it must be because the system is once again out of balance. Perform your duties then, as you have now.

Until we meet again,

Lotus

I mean think about it..... excalibur seems to have no male primary sexual characteristics other than his figure , multiple frames have a codpiece male of female... and  all suits can be worn by your tenno.....

Have you seen their junks and racks?

Edited by Beasthunter98

I have a few ideas. 

1. Warframes are developed like weapons.
Molded, shifted, changed. Valkyr is a perfect example of this, as well as Zephyr. Valkyr was a unique set of circumstances. Captured by the Corpus, tortured, ripped apart, dissected alive, and probably more. Abilities were changed due to either malfunctioned systems, mental trauma, or purposed retraining by either the Tenno inside or the Corpus themselves, or a combination of these. 

But HOW CAN WE USE VALKYR? 

Because the suit, and hopefully the Tenno as well, was recovered, it could be replicated. That's why certain aesthetic aspects remain. The ripped ope back, the torn face, the broken restraints. All possibly required to properly harness the abilities inside. In fact, Valkyr could have very well have started as the Mag we saw in the PS4 trailer. 

Further evidence of this is in Zephyr, the research frame. Arguably, Oxium (I haven't read the description but is it an Oxygen metal alloy?), never existed before the Oxium Drones themselves. This means that Zephyr LITERALLY could not have existed before finding Oxium and molding it to our own purposes. This is why there was a gap between finding the drones and being able to research and craft the Warframe. 

2. What is inside?
What is inside a Warframe? Well, we know that there are three main components, a helmet, systems and a chassis. Generally speaking, the Chassis is the outer form. The outside of the suit itself. The exoskeleton of the body (And only the body). The Systems is the inner workings. This is what gives us the ability to accept Energy Orbs, Health Orbs, recharge shields, and harness our powers. It works with the Chassis in order to develop a unique weapon. The helmet, I believe, is entirely separate. Why? Because we switch helmets. And in fact, I think that helmets may be where the focus of our character is, be it one character or multiple. Helmets are not only aesthetic but were also at one point something developed to increase our powers, but also had adverse effects. It's possible that altering the outside of the helmet also altered the inside and this is why stats go up and down in older helmets. However, shaping the helmets was improved and thus you were able to keep your stats the same (Thus the difference between stat helmets and cosmetic helmets). 

The helmet houses the consciousness of the Tenno. Right now, it's unknown if we are inside the Warframe or outside it. These could be manipulated from inside, by a shape shifting creature or a small, almost embryonic life form (Like Men in Black), or simply by some sort of amorphous creature.

Alternatively, they could be operated remotely. Like an RC car, but you are in a virtual reality setup where your entire body is very much the controller. Its sight is your sight. Its pain is your pain. But if a Warframe is disabled, YOU are not disabled. If a Warframe is captured, YOU are fine. You might also be able to just shift consciousness between the different Warframes in a manner such as astral projection. Again, with the same benefits. 

3. Where do Warframes go?
Some people collect Warframes, some people craft them, some people sell them, some people buy them. It's obvious where crafted frames come from. They are crafted. But what about where Warframes that have been purchased or sold? Where do they go? Is there a black market that will accept the higher value Platinum for Warframes and will only give out the lesser valued credits for buying Warframes? Is that why we get a choice between Warframes when we start, because there is an unused surplus of Warframes of these types and thus they're able to handed out freely? Are we actually "naked" in the opening scene, or does Lotus somehow remotely install a suit around us so that we are able to fight back and don't become rescue targets? Are the Tenno Pajamas unpowered Warframe type constructs that allow us to be in a non-combat mode, able to explore and wander, either in our own ships or in a colony and be able to have a corporeal form?