Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Help With Laser Doors

drebinr092

these doors are annoying as hell and most cases will zap all of my 195 shields either that or reduce countdown on them or make it so it needs to be hacked

If you can't shoot out a stationary camera, I can't help you. And neither should the devs.

shoot the camera, look up at the ceiling (usually above the doors) for green or red light and a specific beeping sound od survailance camera

They are usually fairly close to the doors themselves in most rooms. In a few areas they are further away but aren't that hard to find if you actually look for them.

thats very weird i thought it was time delay are the cameraes the turrents that fold back in or do they look diffrent

The cameras can be found by either the large green or red light on the cieling.

If its green they havent spotted you and the turrets and laser walls should be off.

If its red its seen you and actived those so shoot it to destroy it.

stationary camera the turrents are nothing to do with the laser mechanism

Once a Corpus camera sees you, it will arm the laser doors, even if it sees you from a different room. Then, it arms the turrets. So if you shoot out the cameras, the turrets and the laser doors will not activate.

The laser door mechanic is:

1. Never explained ingame

2. Unlike other things which aren't explained ingame, doesn't have a nice waypoint to point you to the active camera which you need to kill

3. Bugged. I've heard people get stuck inside laser doors and instantly explode.

It'd be nice if they just smacked you for a ton of damage and then temporarily deactivated so you wouldn't have #3 at least and they also explained how they worked ingame so people wouldn't have to run to a forum to figure things out. Remember, forumgoers are always a minority of gamers.

Removal would probably be overkill, but I would like there to be some sort of delay/warning between a Camera seeing somebody & the laser fields activating (i.e. Thinner, non-damaging lasers appear for a split second before the damaging ones do). I've had plenty of deaths caused due to me getting gibbed by lasers triggered by somebody else walking into a Camera's FoV

Its not hard to deal with them, but the mechanic isn't fun, and like many things in this game, is not explained at all. So its very understandable that some players want them removed.

You people that are being obnoxious to the people making a request and trolling in general are going to kill this game. People are being exposed to this game for the first time (its on the front page of steam) and this game has virtually no tutorial or material to teach them how to play. Then when they come to the forums they get something like DalaiLama's or rogorn's response and then they quit. After update 7, its very difficult to get new players to play this game for more than a few hours because the mod system is based on luck and is unforgiving (even with something like health and shield). First impressions are everything and this game is already losing potential players every day due to the mistakes made by DE releasing this game on Steam when it's not ready. Some of you elitists will be like "Yea, get rid of those noobs" but guess what? Those noobs are no longer going to give DE any money. The community further suffers, and this game (like so many FTPs) gets its servers shut down within a year.

So take the age old advice your parents gave you. If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all. You'll be doing yourself (and this game) a favor.

The laser door mechanic is:

1. Never explained ingame

2. Unlike other things which aren't explained ingame, doesn't have a nice waypoint to point you to the active camera which you need to kill

3. Bugged. I've heard people get stuck inside laser doors and instantly explode.

It'd be nice if they just smacked you for a ton of damage and then temporarily deactivated so you wouldn't have #3 at least and they also explained how they worked ingame so people wouldn't have to run to a forum to figure things out. Remember, forumgoers are always a minority of gamers.

When you hear the cameras and see their light change colors that should make it pretty obvious. It's called situational awareness.

By the time you start fighting Corpus you should be aware that something has changed in your environment; the cameras. The Grineer and Infested maps lack them. They're glaringly obvious.

Though I agree -some- things can be explained more ingame, I don't agree with the cameras being explained.

We're constantly being told exactly what to do in every mainstream game nowadays. Literally paths laid out for us and tutorial pop ups for every single thing in existence.

Warframe is a breath of fresh air. It doesn't hold your hand (though again, some tutorials about some things is welcomed. Cameras though? No.)

Though I agree -some- things can be explained more ingame, I don't agree with the cameras being explained.

We're constantly being told exactly what to do in every mainstream game nowadays. Literally paths laid out for us and tutorial pop ups for every single thing in existence.

Warframe is a breath of fresh air. It doesn't hold your hand (though again, some tutorials about some things is welcomed. Cameras though? No.)

+1

I'd add even more traps and surprises.

Like mines and booby traps.

I always just slide under the lasers (Sprint towards the lasers but just before you get hit by the laser wall hold "Ctrl" to avoid damage completely)

When you hear the cameras and see their light change colors that should make it pretty obvious. It's called situational awareness.

By the time you start fighting Corpus you should be aware that something has changed in your environment; the cameras. The Grineer and Infested maps lack them. They're glaringly obvious.

Yes, they turn red and the turrets start shooting at you. That much is obvious.

However their relation to the laser doors is not, because most of the time doors will be closed, so you won't realize the camera light turning red means the laser doors are on. Until I went on this forum I thought the laser doors turned on and off completely arbitrarily and given this thread I know I'm not alone.

If the cameras only turned on turrets, I could agree with you. However, laser doors literally block your progression. If you don't know how to either handle them or glitch them, you cannot proceed forward in the level. This is a game-breaking problem because it means unless you can put them together (and given how doors are closed by default this isn't as intuitive as you'd think for a new player) a new player cannot get progress on Corpus missions which means the player quits.

This isn't some sort of high-level dodge offset animation cancel maneuver that adds to the skill ceiling but doesn't need to be known for normal play. This is a basic, universal game mechanic for Corpus missions. Not explaining this is akin to telling people "screw off, we don't want you to enjoy this game".

Doors are not all closed by default, many of them are open when you first enter an area until an actor (you or an NPC) walks through them.

The relationship was very clear to me because, at first, I didn't even know to shoot the cameras, I simply hid from them. When the camera light turned green, I saw the lasers turn off. If you can't take the time to study new variables in your environment then that's your problem.

If the player quits instead of trying to figure out how the lasers work - why would anyone assume the devs intend for you to be unable to complete a level? - then that is still their problem, not a flaw in game design. I think it's silly people want everything explained to them, without figuring it out for themselves, and call a lack of handholding 'game-breaking'.

may be make it so that once you run into one, the laser on that particular door will turn of. Or may be just does damage instead of also knocking u back.

+ add a way point to the camera if you are below a certain rank with lotus saying ; "the laser grid has been activated, take out the camera, tenno"

Honestly, I think Lotus talks too much as it is. I'd get even more annoyed with her telling me how to deal with the cameras every time.

I swear she's like my mother: always telling me what to do and warning me about every little thing.

I only got around the camera problem by both anticipating them and memorizing each tile's layout for camera placement. Before that I just learned to not run through corpus doors.

But that's trial by failure. Locks make sense, the camera is both not explained and not confined to the room they're in. Any camera tripped on the map sets off all the security systems, which will cause frustrations for parties that are split up and if they can't figure out what's causing these laser doors, then that's a communication problem.

Doors are not all closed by default, many of them are open when you first enter an area until an actor (you or an NPC) walks through them.

The relationship was very clear to me because, at first, I didn't even know to shoot the cameras, I simply hid from them. When the camera light turned green, I saw the lasers turn off. If you can't take the time to study new variables in your environment then that's your problem.

To make a causal relation between the cameras and the lights, you have to simultaneously:

1. See the camera

2. See the camera turn on when it sees you

3. See the laser door turn on.

This isn't something particularly obvious, and because of how human brains work, if you think laser doors turn on randomly (because your initial encounter didn't have that sequence of events) you'll basically never figure it out. Your suggestion of 'let them figure it out themselves' is setting up a lot of unlucky people for having to either quit or unlearn a lot of stupid ideas they got.

If the player quits instead of trying to figure out how the lasers work - why would anyone assume the devs intend for you to be unable to complete a level? - then that is still their problem, not a flaw in game design. I think it's silly people want everything explained to them, without figuring it out for themselves, and call a lack of handholding 'game-breaking'.

All I'm seeing here is people saying "WE SHOULD HIDE CORE GAME MECHANICS FOR NO GOOD REASON". What do you lose if core game mechanics are actually explained? Please, answer this question. Do you lose anything if the game actually explains basic game mechanics, or do you solely lose the sense of smugness you have because some 'casual' or 'scrub' flails around not knowing how to defeat them? Because the latter is simultaneously damaging to the game and not actually anything of meaning. If you want schadenfreude there are plenty of other ways to get it without screwing DE out of potential customers.

I think it's depressing that people consider "explain core game mechanics" "hand-holding". Every time I was told to explain something, no matter if it was a technical document or an essay, I was always told two things were always necessary:

1. Assume the audience doesn't know anything about what you're saying.

2. Assume the audience members are all idiots.

Explaining core game mechanics central to completing a mission goes hand in hand with this. Yes, it means you won't be able to smugly sneer at the ~pubbies~ who keep killing themselves on laser doors. It also means that the game will have a wider audience because you won't have a bunch of angry people who got frustrated on their first laser door, decided to quit, and badmouthed the game on a dozen forums.

And the latter is far more beneficial to you than any sense of schadenfreude, because it means you get more updates because DE has more cash.