Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mods Acquisition Overhaul

xGryphus

Just from the top of my head:
What if all mods in drop tables were to be replaced with a variety of several different "ingredients" that could be combined via transmutation (according to a fixed formula) would create a particular mod.

Fusion Cores would remain in drop table and, from now on, play an additional role - they would be crucial component of any mod (rarity of Fusion Core would determine rarity of mod).
All "ingredients" would be spread across different fractions, unit types, tilesets etc. Some could be acquired only in The Void and Orokin Derelict, core components for Nightmare and Corrupted mods would be rewarded from nightmare mode and OD Vaults respectively. Maybe some could be acquired through scanning.
The reasoning behind this is that there would be far less "ingredients"  then mods (because one type of "ingredient" could be used in couple transmutation formulas) thus, in theory, making it easier to acquire a particular mod (provided that you know correct formula).

Edited by xGryphus

misspelling of the title to say Nods (not mods) will actually read the content later when I'm not in a hurry :)

Thanks - already corrected.

"war-farm extreme edition"

Actually exact opposite - instead of hoping that you get a particular mod from dozens of possibilities you need to acquire a set of "ingredients" from several possible and combine into desired mod - less is more.

I actually like the mod drop tables for almost every mod (elemental mods like storm bringer, contagious spread and fever strike need to be easier to get as elements are now a very large impact on weapon damage), so unless DE place a very diverse range of 'resource parts' into the game and spread them through certain enemy types (which would take too much time away from vor's prize. badlands, and overall stability improvements to the game), it will just end up being the same map/faction combination that almost everyone will be farming over and over again to get the parts.  I do not enjoy that, and yes I power farm xp in ODD to wave 70+, and yes I used to farm almost solely at xini, but I only did that as everyone else was there, and more players results in more xp.  I enjoy the diversity, so the suggested 'resource parts' will either only do the same thing, (maybe give a very little increase in chance of getting a mod as you have a definite goal to reach) or it will allow the over saturation of almost all of the desired mods/parts in the trade chat, lowering the price (supply and demand, economic lvl 1 basics) therefore stopping a good means for players to earn items they want and are hard to get that another player wants, for an item that is rare and hard to get that they want.  Collapsing the trade economy in its current state is one more nail in the coffin for Warframe (and might only be the first or second mind you).  In significantly reducing the farming needed for players to reach a goal, DE will be losing player hours that are spent farming, reducing the active player-base for every hour, therefore reducing party's that are put together for a common goal, therefor reducing the number of cells running missions, which therefore impacts the players that want to play Warframe for the sake of playing Warframe.  Trading was introduced due to player demand for mods and items they wanted to be more accessible if they wanted to pay.  This is fine, but giving the player what ever mod they want by running simple missions for the resources they need removes the drive for players to earn items that are rare.  

Sorry for long reply, but I always think multiple steps forward on how a decision that impacts a games core mechanics will affect the player base, and the desire, and therefore pride for people who have, a rare item will diminish (lets face it, we only play games that give us enjoyment, or gives us a sense of accomplishment).

I agree with the above point, yes, but I also like the Ingredients idea. It would make it so much easier to find things like Split Chamber, but it'd also remove the farming aspect which is what some players only ever come on to do. By removing it, it would give them no reason to stay - I'm not talking 1 or 2 people, here, I mean a lot of the end-game players.

my only recommendation would be that for the rare mods like split chamber, the ingredients are a lot more difficult to obtain, for example for a mod like split or natural talent you need to do badlands farming to get a super rare ingredient, this will motivate people to participate in the badlands more as well because a possible reward for siding with a clan could be some of these rare ingredients as well. My other thought is to limit these special ingredients for the Rare mods to later game areas in order to motivate newer players to improve and get to the later game areas to start getting good mods to improve themselves farther. (by later game i mean like saturn, mars, jupiter regions at the very very very least. My opinion would be the outer planets, eris,ceres, phobos, uranus, and pluto) But that would just be for the Rare mods. Uncommon and common can be found much earlier and a good way to introduce this would be teaching you once you reach earth. They give you 2 templates one for serration and one for hornet strike. You'll have the resources for serration just by going through this tutorial and this will drastically help New players who don't have luck with finding serration early game. (since that is an issue i've found with many of my friends who've tried playing this game)  

P.S. Sorry for the horrible grammar, it's 6am and i am unable to sleep

Edited by zebar1313