Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ps4 Particle Effects?

(PSN)PiMDx

My guess is no. It seemed as though there was a watere ddown version of the APEX PhysX effects on the developmental build for the PS4, but my guess is that turbulence fields negatively effect the game's performance too much for it to be enabled.

Also, that being said, there are no other PS4 games that use APEX PhysX effects.

PhysX might be used, but PhysX and APEX PhysX effects are two different things; APEX effects are things like turbulence fields, which require extreme amounts of processing power.

My guess is no. It seemed as though there was a watere ddown version of the APEX PhysX effects on the developmental build for the PS4, but my guess is that turbulence fields negatively effect the game's performance too much for it to be enabled.

Also, that being said, there are no other PS4 games that use APEX PhysX effects.

PhysX might be used, but PhysX and APEX PhysX effects are two different things; APEX effects are things like turbulence fields, which require extreme amounts of processing power.

. Since nvidia did license physx for ps4 and also optimised it, as new ps4 firmware updates come it might work better with physx and so then maybe DE be able to apply physx effects to ps4, if i am not mistaken. Consoles lacking physx effects is a shame really, but also people can use their own physics particle systems as well right?

I would rather they do something to address the appalling frame rate, considering the game isn't running anywhere near 1080p first.

I have both my PC and my PS4 running through my TV, the PC looks like a completely different game.

Comparing warframe to something like second son, Killzone or AC4, I have to ask what it is the devs are wasting all that power on.

Edited by (PS4)atpbx

The answer is no

It is not able to be done on the PS4 as it doesn't have an Nvidia GPU. PS4 has a watered down APEX but will never have full physx like on PC ever.

This has been asked here and in 90,000 other places on the net. Either use Google search or forum search so we can stop having this question asked over, and over, and over, and over.

. Since nvidia did license physx for ps4 and also optimised it, as new ps4 firmware updates come it might work better with physx and so then maybe DE be able to apply physx effects to ps4, if i am not mistaken. Consoles lacking physx effects is a shame really, but also people can use their own physics particle systems as well right?

The PS4 is able to use a much lighter version of PhysX. It's nowhere near as robust as PhysX executed on CUDA cores (Nvidia only hardware), and the level of detail that can be provided is really limited. On one hand, fluid and cloth dynamics aren't that tasking (the entire physics engine in Warframe is PhysX, but the super pretty particle effects are the APEX effects, while ragdolls and basic collision detection is normal PhysX), but other, prettier effects such as Turbulence Fields may be too tasking on the PS4's hardware to allow it to be implemented without having the game suffer a performance hit.

As for other particle systems... it's really not an option for Warframe (other games such as Resogun use the Havok physics engine, and Infamous 2's particle effects are actually all pre-scripted animations and don't utilize fancy physics interactions like Warframe's Turbulence Fields on PC). Since Warframe's entire physics engine is PhysX, so using a different engine to process physics (and particles) would require the entire game's engine to be overhauled, which is very costly and time consuming.

Since Warframe's entire physics engine is PhysX, so using a different engine to process physics (and particles) would require the entire game's engine to be overhauled, which is very costly and time consuming.

this, you have standard physx just not the fancy effects, and it is always going to be that way unless you have an Nvidia GPU. Blame Nvidia for purchasing Aegia and closing the doors on it for anyone but Nvidia users.

The PS4 is able to use a much lighter version of PhysX. It's nowhere near as robust as PhysX executed on CUDA cores (Nvidia only hardware), and the level of detail that can be provided is really limited. On one hand, fluid and cloth dynamics aren't that tasking (the entire physics engine in Warframe is PhysX, but the super pretty particle effects are the APEX effects, while ragdolls and basic collision detection is normal PhysX), but other, prettier effects such as Turbulence Fields may be too tasking on the PS4's hardware to allow it to be implemented without having the game suffer a performance hit.

As for other particle systems... it's really not an option for Warframe (other games such as Resogun use the Havok physics engine, and Infamous 2's particle effects are actually all pre-scripted animations and don't utilize fancy physics interactions like Warframe's Turbulence Fields on PC). Since Warframe's entire physics engine is PhysX, so using a different engine to process physics (and particles) would require the entire game's engine to be overhauled, which is very costly and time consuming.

Well then, do they have to use physics calculations to make particle effects? I perfectly understand why nvidia cuda cores are more capable for physx and for turbulence fields, but amd machines and next gen consoles not having any of these is pretty sad. They at least can make a glowing effects with some particles or non interactive ( as pre scripted animation loops) to provide at least some of these effects, can't they?

Well then, do they have to use physics calculations to make particle effects? I perfectly understand why nvidia cuda cores are more capable for physx and for turbulence fields, but amd machines and next gen consoles not having any of these is pretty sad. They at least can make a glowing effects with some particles or non interactive ( as pre scripted animation loops) to provide at least some of these effects, can't they?

There are particle effects that don't rely on PhysX in the game already, however they're scripted animations rather than a flurry of particles that interact with the environment, objects, etc.

Just that the APEX PhysX effects create particles to the Nth degree, resulting in a particle hurricane of eyecandy, versus the not-so-hurricane-y scripted particle animations.

• 1 month later...