Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Problem With The Feature Of Equipping Melee

yarash2110

I know that this is not out yet, and i haven't tried it yet, but i just want to bandage the area before it is being hit (probebly didnmt translate that correctly :p) so ive noticed in the demo the map didn't have a single door with the magnetic proc, or arc trap, or in phobos on the flip side all of those flying drones that buff the grineer, the point is that in any mission where you move from diffrant places (no survival or defense) you will have to constantly switch between your weapons and melee, which will be clearly very annoying, idk how to solve it but im just pointing out the problem, im not saying that removing these traps would be a good idea but maybe reducing their spawn rate, or just finding another solution.

Thanks for reading and please write your opinion about this problem in the comments

that's a pretty good point. While we could of course switch to our guns, that is tedious and runs counter to the theme of melee 2.0 "the sword alone". It would also fail in the case that DE allows you to run missions with only your melee weapon, as they said they're working on.

I propose that a jump slash by the trap doors would disable the panel or camera.

Yeah those traps and flying enemies are going to be a problem. Even if they fix that, shooting things with guns that kill everything with one shot from half a mile away will likely remain the best way to play this game. Melee 2.0 might be fun, but I highly doubt it ever make melee viable compared to ranged weapons.

I know that this is not out yet, and i haven't tried it yet, but i just want to bandage the area before it is being hit (probebly didnmt translate that correctly :p) so ive noticed in the demo the map didn't have a single door with the magnetic proc, or arc trap, or in phobos on the flip side all of those flying drones that buff the grineer, the point is that in any mission where you move from diffrant places (no survival or defense) you will have to constantly switch between your weapons and melee, which will be clearly very annoying, idk how to solve it but im just pointing out the problem, im not saying that removing these traps would be a good idea but maybe reducing their spawn rate, or just finding another solution.

Thanks for reading and please write your opinion about this problem in the comments 

Your first 13 words are the most important. You have the ability to switch now what is it about you that wants to complain about that? YOU CAN SWITCH...you do not have to have your melee equipped. Is the option too much for you?

Your first 13 words are the most important. You have the ability to switch now what is it about you that wants to complain about that? YOU CAN SWITCH...you do not have to have your melee equipped. Is the option too much for you?

its LIKE MAKING A FRAME WITH 1 health and 1 shields and say WE COULD'VE GIVEN HIM NONE, they said that what they are willing to do is make it possible to clear whole planets with only your sword, and theres no need to rage if you do not agree with me.

Yeah those traps and flying enemies are going to be a problem. Even if they fix that, shooting things with guns that kill everything with one shot from half a mile away will likely remain the best way to play this game. Melee 2.0 might be fun, but I highly doubt it ever make melee viable compared to ranged weapons.

There are people like myself who intend to use melee 99% of the time now and now the glaive is semi controllable as scott showed it will move with the player better if I understood what I saw. If anything appreciate the CHOICE.

There are people like myself who intend to use melee 99% of the time now and now the glaive is semi controllable as scott showed it will move with the player better if I understood what I saw. If anything appreciate the CHOICE.

but if a choise would make the game 200% less flowing that would be a problem, if they put something in the game and it's not working as intended we don't say "oh well they tried" we talk to them and show them whats wrong to make it perfect

Apart from the glaive and the throwing melee categories. Melee is really just to close combat.

If the problem you are talking about is actuality switching to melee, then, yeah, there should be more key-bindings to help equip melee. 

Ex:

Pressing "Q" to switch right into your melee

its LIKE MAKING A FRAME WITH 1 health and 1 shields and say WE COULD'VE GIVEN HIM NONE, they said that what they are willing to do is make it possible to clear whole planets with only your sword, and theres no need to rage if you do not agree with me.

Thre was no rage and I defnitely don't unerstand your analogy. You now have a choice is my point and Scott said he can clear a defense mission with his sword. Hell with a Glaive/Kestrel you do not need a primary. What they said was they were looking into equipping a melee as a primary. I would love two melees and a secondary. That would be my favorite addition  to melee 2.0 a glaive pr/dakra pr and I dunno any secondary... 

but if a choise would make the game 200% less flowing that would be a problem, if they put something in the game and it's not working as intended we don't say "oh well they tried" we talk to them and show them whats wrong to make it perfect

explain to me how choosing to equip your weapon is a bad thing? You can still play the game the SAME way, same quick attacks just using primary and secondary and IF YOU CHOOSE you can take out your melee weapon for additional use. How is this interrupting your flow? Btw where is your 200% from and you haven't even playd the update? 

explain to me how choosing to equip your weapon is a bad thing? You can still play the game the SAME way, same quick attacks just using primary and secondary and IF YOU CHOOSE you can take out your melee weapon for additional use. How is this interrupting your flow? Btw where is your 200% from and you haven't even playd the update?

who said it was a bad idea? I said it has a problem that needs to be fixed, and not just say "well, they tried" tnhe purpose of beta testers is to report problems for the devs to fix, and you dont have to be a genius to understand this problem without the feature of melee 2.0 being out yet, the only way i can see this being solved would be if the switching between melee and weapons would be instantaneous

So from what I gather, the complaint centers around not being able to defeat enemies or objects outside of melee range. I hate to break this to you, but the name of the update is The Sword Alone, not the concept behind some new game mode, or a feature that allows you to never use a gun again. Conceptually speaking, you certainly could to varying degrees, or if there was some new Nightmare mode option.

What this update is bringing us is the option to reliably kill enemies with our melee weapons via buffs to damage, blocking, and fancy combos. You could certainly use it 99% of the time, but at no point should the game bend to needing everything to be effected by melee attacks.

who said it was a bad idea? I said it has a problem that needs to be fixed, and not just say "well, they tried" tnhe purpose of beta testers is to report problems for the devs to fix, and you dont have to be a genius to understand this problem without the feature of melee 2.0 being out yet, the only way i can see this being solved would be if the switching between melee and weapons would be instantaneous

Weapon switching has never needed to be instantaneous.

sucks for you that is the only way you can see the problem you have created being solved. Lets see what happens when the update is released I hope there is another solution that works for you.

Edited by Nkomo-Sama

Depends on how high the combos get, I'd suppose.

With blocking you can close the distance without being gunned down by level 300 heavy gunners, and if the combo multipliers get suitably high (imagine an orthos prime with 20x damage before mods), you could end up doing more damage to enemies with your sword than your gun.

Actually, according to the Devstream I believe they did say you could chose to run equipped with only melee is an upcoming feature of the game. So you might not be able to switch.

Plus, It's annoying and tedious in a game about fast paced flowing combat to have to switch every time you need to destroy a trap.

Depends on how high the combos get, I'd suppose.

With blocking you can close the distance without being gunned down by level 300 heavy gunners, and if the combo multipliers get suitably high (imagine an orthos prime with 20x damage before mods), you could end up doing more damage to enemies with your sword than your gun.

I suppose if there's no cap on the damage multiplier than melee might have use against insanely high leveled enemies. However for 99% of situations you should be able to take down an entire room of enemies within a couple of seconds with your ranged weapons. They can buff melee weapons as much as they want, but so far there's nothing that allows you to close the gap between you and the enemies and take them down before your teammate wipes them out from the other side of the room.

To make matters worse, using melee, parrying, and sprinting all use stamina. You might be able to use stamina mods to counteract this, but that would require dropping far more vital mods in favor of this.

I'm sure you can do fairly well with melee weapons after the update, but it's almost always going to easier and more practical to just shoot things instead.

Actually, according to the Devstream I believe they did say you could chose to run equipped with only melee is an upcoming feature of the game. So you might not be able to switch.

Plus, It's annoying and tedious in a game about fast paced flowing combat to have to switch every time you need to destroy a trap.

I don't think that is true about only equipping a melee for a mission watch the stream again....I am right now... scott is cycling between primary and melee. At the most he says we could have the ability to UN-equip primary and secondary. Id like to bring 2/3 melee weapons if I could. Don't you think you are being a bit... I dunno unreasonable saying it is annoying switching between a melee and a fire arm? It is a tap to bring out the firearm and you hold down for the melee. Plus there is an aura called speed holster that increases weapon switching. Seriously can you not appreciate the fact that you now have option? I think that is awesome and we have waited forever for this. You can play exactly as you do now if you want to but I don't believe that you would. You guys keep using the phrase fast paced flowing combat. You are including the current melee system. Are you suggesting the combat system is superior as is or that the abilty to equip your melee weapon and have extensive combos will hinder that?  Lets wait til it releases and see what happens. 

I suppose if there's no cap on the damage multiplier than melee might have use against insanely high leveled enemies. However for 99% of situations you should be able to take down an entire room of enemies within a couple of seconds with your ranged weapons. They can buff melee weapons as much as they want, but so far there's nothing that allows you to close the gap between you and the enemies and take them down before your teammate wipes them out from the other side of the room.

To make matters worse, using melee, parrying, and sprinting all use stamina. You might be able to use stamina mods to counteract this, but that would require dropping far more vital mods in favor of this.

I'm sure you can do fairly well with melee weapons after the update, but it's almost always going to easier and more practical to just shoot things instead.

Yes but if you have your sword AND gun(s)... isn't that a win for everyone?

I don't think that is true about only equipping a melee for a mission watch the stream again....I am right now... scott is cycling between primary and melee. At the most he says we could have the ability to UN-equip primary and secondary. 

He said it could be implemented, not that it is currently. Him switching between melee and guns now says nothing about it. 

But he did say he wanted to make soloing missions with only melee possible, which currently isn't possible because of hazards.

Don't you think you are being a bit... I dunno unreasonable saying it is annoying switching between a melee and a fire arm? It is a tap to bring out the firearm and you hold down for the melee. Plus there is an aura called speed holster that increases weapon switching. Seriously can you not appreciate the fact that you now have option? 

Not at all. Warframe has the longest weapon swap time I've ever seen. Ratchet Clank/Bioshock/Loadout/Star Wars: BattleFront. It's a bad baseline, and we should not need a mod to remedy it. It should be fixed on its own. Quick swapping weapons should be natural to the game, not some kind of unique playstyle advantage, as most people will just muscle through with one gun regardless. And forcing us to switch or use Speed Holster is just going to make people turn away from melee focus'd builds.

You guys keep using the phrase fast paced flowing combat. You are including the current melee system. Are you suggesting the combat system is superior as is or that the abilty to equip your melee weapon and have extensive combos will hinder that?  Lets wait til it releases and see what happens. 

No, I'd much rather have a combo system and all the fancy mechanics in Melee 2.0 than current quick melee. In fact, the melee hit counter/multiplier will do a great job keeping people moving instead of turtling with the parry system. But Warframe's pacing and combat is fast, and smooth. It needs a streamlined experience, which means you want to reduce these slow jarring bumps like weapon switching. If it happens too frequently, then it will become an issue for people.

True. I'm kind of imagining very high level play here. Like, deep runs on T3 survival. You're surrounded by a crapload of high level heavy gunners. You get your hit combo up to ludicrous levels and basically stride through the entire mob of enemies like a god of death.

...Until you get CC'd and break your combo, at least.

At least that's how I figure it'd be.

He said it could be implemented, not that it is currently. Him switching between melee and guns now says nothing about it. 

But he did say he wanted to make soloing missions with only melee possible, which currently isn't possible because of hazards.

It is possible right now.to use only melee it is just not EASY. You have to prepare for adversity. Again he was referring to the option of un-equipping your sidearms. I really have a hard time grasping your problem with this choice

forcing us to switch or use Speed Holster is just going to make people turn away from melee focus'd builds.

It seems as if you are not willing to participate in a trade off, as if you are more in favor of a rainbow build/equip.I can't say I disagree with you or DE in this case. Either way is fine with me.

Solution: For Corpus cameras mounted above doors, place a wire running down the side of the door that is visible and can be cut by our melee. And for Grineer magnetic doors, have a battery that is powering the door placed to the side at waist height so we can easily slash it. As for shock traps, I don't have any ideas that wouldn't be too blunt or obvious as the trap itself is supposed to be somewhat obscure. I guess you'll have to ignore them.

DE, please include these ASAP! They don't have to be a part of U13 but as quickly as you could would be awesome!

It seems as if you are not willing to participate in a trade off, as if you are more in favor of a rainbow build/equip.I can't say I disagree with you or DE in this case. Either way is fine with me.

Because tradeoffs have to actually be worth trading for? I can run without speed Holster. And only switch when not in danger. Switching should be significantly faster than reloading, that's the whole point of weapon switching in the first place, and it isn't except for a select few weapons with long reload times. 

We should expect things to work smoothly in combat, and then use mods to accentuate playstyle, not cover for annoyances in the system.

It's a small difference between slight annoyance, and a smooth change. Why am I sacrificing anything as significant as a Rifle Damage buff, an Ammo finder buff, energy regain, or radar to cover, things that can more greatly alter playstyle, for something that doesn't have a significant effect on me at all, and only serves to alleviate an annoyance?

And saying I'm in favour of rainbow builds based off the aura slot? Now you're just trying to insult me. It's the slot that has effects the farthest away from rainbows.

It is possible right now.to use only melee it is just not EASY. You have to prepare for adversity. Again he was referring to the option of un-equipping your sidearms. I really have a hard time grasping your problem with this choice

It's hardly adversity when some hazards are next to unavoidable with melee. Especially ones as damning as magnetic doors. The point is to balance melee and gunplay. Leaving traps that upset this balance is bad.

If melee-solo is faced with this adversity, then gun-solo has to be too. And it isn't. So either this needs to be changed to make melee a viable way of smashing hazards, or guns have to be made as unviable as melee.