Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hey Digital Extremes, Your Physx Sucks. Thank You For Treating Pc Gamers Like Trash.

Zymphad76

Again, you obviously haven't a clue about PhysX then. Try looking it up before posting. PhysX is ALWAYS ON. The only thing that option does is turn off the lameass looking spray of particles that magically appear in a geyser waterfall somewhere. PhysX is more than particles, in fact PhysX was first developed to run rigid and simple physics on GPU. That's what it is actually best at, which laughably, today's modern CPU can do it better and compex physics.

No point in this thread in continuing since none of you even have a clue of what I'm talking about.

This isn't about particles you morons. This is about promoting technology that is proprietary to one brand at detrimental performance loss for all those who don't have that particular hardware on a PC title. But obviously I think different than the rest of you. Very nice of all of you to think because you do, everyone else can suck it and it's ok.

@DE, want more of my money? Stop being a $&*^.

Phyx physics is always on, but it's not particularly taxing as long as you have a decent cpu and gpu. Physx particle effects can be turned off.

no, it's not

Not literally faster, but GPUs can do hundreds of more calculations in parallel compared to cpus. It works out to them doing some stuff a lot faster than CPUs can.

Edited by Aggh

Yes, it is.

Technically. They are not. Their clock is below that of the CPU.

Its a different question that they are fundamentally dedicated for the type of calculations that process visuals and thus get it done a lot faster than the CPU does.

So in a way both of you are right and wrong.

Well what about the SOURCE engine?

I found it extremely friendly to my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4500) and it could support rather nice effects.

Source has used a derivative of Havok physics for as long as it has been out, not PhysX.

Well what about the SOURCE engine?

I found it extremely friendly to my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4500) and it could support rather nice effects.

Amg it's such a travesty that DE hasn't optimized this game for a GPU that was $50 4 years ago :|

Edited by Aggh

Again, you obviously haven't a clue about PhysX then. Try looking it up before posting. PhysX is ALWAYS ON. The only thing that option does is turn off the lameass looking spray of particles that magically appear in a geyser waterfall somewhere. PhysX is more than particles, in fact PhysX was first developed to run rigid and simple physics on GPU. That's what it is actually best at, which laughably, today's modern CPU can do it better and compex physics.

No point in this thread in continuing since none of you even have a clue of what I'm talking about.

This isn't about particles you morons. This is about promoting technology that is proprietary to one brand at detrimental performance loss for all those who don't have that particular hardware on a PC title. But obviously I think different than the rest of you. Very nice of all of you to think because you do, everyone else can suck it and it's ok.

@DE, want more of my money? Stop being a $&*^.

REported for insulting an entire community. Just cause you dont like something doesnt give you the right to behave like an arse. Also not All games have full support for both sides of the gfx market. Amd and nvidia have different architectures alltogether and battle for the nr one spot. Its been this way for years now I suggest you come to terms with this instead of acting like a lunatic. There is no saying that AMD support wont come down the line and you ranting right now makes no one take you seriously. In fact I take offense because I have an nvidia setup and there are AMD friendly games that make my rig perform less and yet I have never spewed the kind of bile over a company or a community like you do. Grow up and enjoy the report

Thanks for your note. I don't agree but I can understand why you might be pissed. Here are some things to consider that may or may not reduce your fury:

-Check out the history, we started using PhysX during Aegia era: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

-PhysX is a cross-platform physics and collision library. We use lots of other libraries and abstractions like DirectX, XAudio, Win32, TCP, etc. On the shoulders of giants like all software.

-We will happily continue to use this PhysX library on all platforms the engine supports (PS3, XBox 360, PC, and more in the future). If it was trivial/free/magic to switch to Havok, we'd consider it, but guess what? Intel owns that now and you'd be flaming us with a few name swaps. You can't escape acquisitions.

-We take advantage of vendor-specific features if it suits us. If a vendor approaches us with "Warframe is awesome. If you implement feature X, we'll give you some promotion or license fee cut or web site pimp" we'd be fools not to consider it. If it not optional (unlike say, extra particles) we'll turn it down because for the reasons you imply: we'd lose audience! If it is optional and cool while giving us exposure we couldn't afford otherwise, we're apt to say yes.

-I disagree with you about the respect part. We treat PC gamers with respect. If you're running AMD, your shadow maps are nicer because I personally implemented 'Fetch4' (seen here: http://developer.amd...on-Cards_v2.pdf) so the shadow quality on AMD was closer to nVidia (which has hardware bilinear). Early on in beta we had to rewrite our sky/space rendering because the stencil buffer approach was failing on AMD/Intel cards. We cared about it more than fluff/fx features.

-We work with AMD (they sent us a massive compatiblity run down, and hardware that failed the test). They sent us free hardware that failed the tests so we can fix it. We have every interest in running well on as many PCs as we can afford to.

-We also work with Intel as well, but again, they are massive and (at least currently) focused on other things. Their graphics tools and whitepapers are awesome though and we refer to them often.

-I am not insulted that the game isn't demanding or uses your GPU to the fullest, this is by-design. I am confused why you said that and then followed with it doesn't run well because of blocks of crap. Maybe you can clarify. In the future, we intend to add more optional things as time allows. A good example that would work well on your setup: Tesselation in DirectX11 when we have proper displacement maps created.

TL;DR: PhysX on its own is just a library for collision and physics. Nvidia has some optional stuff that looks cool (used to be called Apex, now called PhysX Effects). DE gets exposure they couldn't afford otherwise by adding it and nVidia reciprocates - they supported a little known game called Warframe while others focused on sequels and sequels of sequels.

I respect PC gamers, for sure, a lot, because I am one of them.

I am not insulted that the game isn't demanding or uses your GPU to the fullest, this is by-design. I am confused why you said that and then followed with it doesn't run well because of blocks of crap.

I understand what he means. The game does not maximize the resources available to it and either because of one bottleneck or another, this degrades performance. In my case, the bottleneck is RAM clock speed. The CPU and GPU (including my 1 GB dedicated graphics memory) are never fully utilized to compensate.

I don't have a shortage of RAM (I have 8 GB but never more than 30 percent is utilized for the whole system), Warframe never seems to use more than 600 MB of it, so I know that's not the issue, and it never uses more than 50 percent of my CPU (as seen in the Task Manager).

I understand what he means. The game does not maximize the resources available to it and either because of one bottleneck or another, this degrades performance. In my case, the bottleneck is RAM clock speed. The CPU and GPU (including my 1 GB dedicated graphics memory) are never fully utilized to compensate.

I don't have a shortage of RAM (I have 8 GB but never more than 30 percent is utilized for the whole system), Warframe never seems to use more than 600 MB of it, so I know that's not the issue, and it never uses more than 50 percent of my CPU (as seen in the Task Manager).

The conservative memory usage is due, in part, to texture streaming only pulling it what is needed. We are doing a performance pass on the game shortly which may help use more of your CPU cores. There could always be more optimization done!

well i personally feel that looking awesome is great and all but i'd rather be able to play properly with good optimization. some games are so bad at it they'll try and blow up your comp just for trying to run a music player while playing the game. honestly even if the physx did work, i still wouldn't even use it. and any streamlining efforts are definately much appreciated at least in my eyes. so much cred to DE_Steve and the rest of the staff for your hard work.

The conservative memory usage is due, in part, to texture streaming only pulling it what is needed. We are doing a performance pass on the game shortly which may help use more of your CPU cores. There could always be more optimization done!

This is good news, thank you for your reply.

My framerate really suffers sometimes, usually when there's a large number of actors or effects, and I've noticed that it's really not utilizing my system's full resources (and I have solid graphics). I'm sure I can't be an isolated case.

Edited by Kanaris

I used to have a AMD Radeon HD 6970m and i kinda got used to getting screwed in Unreal Engine 3 games just because most of the titles was using PhysX for physics and the dynamic shadows being broken.

Luckily i own a user upgradable notebook and replaced it with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 680m and while its a more taxing GPU for my system i can force PhysX to only run on the GPU, and believe me it helps on most titles.

Cant say i played too much Warframe as i found it to be just a little bit too grindy for my play schedule but it looks decent when i turn off the DoF / Motion Blur effect and performance is good enough.

I do appreciate that the game takes advantage of DirectX 11 and Windows x64.

Any plans on doing a buy it all pack similar to Tribes Ascend did in the future?

Stupid thread, stupid replies. What a trainwreck.

Hey OP, if you wanna convince people of anything ever, you should:

1. Put a cork in your &#! to stop the bleeding

2. Have a nice cold shower

3. Stop insulting people and acting like the sky is falling

4. Stop trying to portray yourself as a victim of the ignorant masses who are oh so less intellectual

Because at this point I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Only response to this thread worth reading.

Love the "go home fanboy" responses, though. It's like watching Twilight fans argue over whether or not Jacob or Edward is better.