Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Item Drops Shouldn't Need To Be Picked Up

Fadeway

Item drops are sometimes easy to miss (particularly since they are not marked on the map). Sometimes players don't even have a chance to see them - for example a melee player, or someone who leaves stragglers to his teammates moving behind him.

This isn't always a problem - most of us just ping every drop we see using the objective marker. Many players who move ahead have a habit of checking back once a room is clear to avoid missing stuff.

Still, picking up mods doesn't add to the gameplay. It's a fun thing to have with ammo and health, since they are relevant in the mission itself (rush to that blue sphere so you can pull off one more charge against that clustered group!), but mods...really, all that picking them up accomplishes is waste time and penalize less observant or faster players (and slower players too, if the group is ahead and they're in a hurry to catch up!).

Just give us the mods that have dropped at the end of the mission. Picking them up should serve only as a "hey, neat, got a reward, let's see what it is in advance" moment.

They hurt normal players too though. Ran a mission with my brother the other day, he had 3 pickups, I had 6 or 7 (he is fairly new though, I doubt the average player would miss that many). Rushers and afkers exist with the current system; they need their own solutions. Penalizing the normal players hasn't eliminated them.

At the very least, drops should be marked on the map.

if your brother would have marked them, you wouldnt have lost them. That's what nice players do. That's why it's better to play with friends/known ppl.

Afker will get 0 mods with this system.

Rusher ( and i mean guys that rush ahead while the rest of the party kill stuffs) must go back to recover them if they want them. and lose any advantage.

They made mods visible through wall in one of the hotfixes, the same way players are visible through walls.....and then they removed it again..

Or it was an accident they made it possible in the first place.

Edited by Pixues

no, what i mean is, one guy farm, the other 3 friends chatting on facebook.

Oh, okay. Got it. Well, that is indeed not a nice experience. But it has to be expected since this is a f2p game with MP tied in. Some people are just.. well.. different.

I'm very glad that I don't get the slightest feel of pressure from this game so that these different people aren't that frustrating for me though.

I really like the surprise element on the pick up, though. You see this circular thingy pop out of an enemy and really look forward to seeing if it is that one mod you're still craving (just to be disappointed a second later) if stuff just popped up on the right side of your screen it'd be far less exciting.

I really like the surprise element on the pick up, though. You see this circular thingy pop out of an enemy and really look forward to seeing if it is that one mod you're still craving (just to be disappointed a second later) if stuff just popped up on the right side of your screen it'd be far less exciting.

I also love this bit of it, but it doesn't have to necessarily be removed. The implementation I had in mind was pretty much the same thing we have now, except at the end of the mission, we get every mod, no matter if it was picked up or not.

Its never good to make it too easy on the player.

Just go and pick up your mod. Dont forget to press G on it to show it to others, so they will do the same for you.

This is not difficulty. It's tedium. Difficulty is good, tedium not.

This is not difficulty. It's tedium. Difficulty is good, tedium not.
The issue with that is that its a slippery slope argument.

Some people find it tedious to pick up loot

Some people find it tedious to look for loot

Some people find grinding tedious

Some people find actually using brains tedious (and go to blame the developer for creating a game that kills them for charging into a mod blindly)

There is no actual definition to "tedious".

You find picking loot tedious. I do not. Both of us are right but... following what i mean?

I have same problem. At this moment i just lost 3 mods, bcs they fall in pit. That's my mistake or what?

Ammo, energy, etc. - let them be, it's part of gameplay. My mods must jump into my inventory, not into random collisions.

Oh, okay. Got it. Well, that is indeed not a nice experience. But it has to be expected since this is a f2p game with MP tied in. Some people are just.. well.. different.

lol no. Some people are just.. well.. cheaters. Cheating is not being "different" - it's being a scumbag cheater nothing more nothing less.

I just wanna know why they disabled seeing mods through walls after having it for like 1 day

Most players agree it was an improvement to the game so hopefully it was an unintended accident that it was removed by that next hotfix. It was a subtle but positive improvement in the mod pickup system.

The issue with that is that its a slippery slope argument.

There is no slippery slope argument - such a thing doesn't exist. There is only a slippery slope fallacy, and that's what you presented. (I hope I'm not offending you by saying this).

Below you, Reedman says he enjoys the loot hunt, so you do have a point, but I don't think most people find it that fun to search for mods at risk of losing the rewards bestowed upon them by the RNG God. The main counterargument seems to be "not necessary, people already mark drops", but if people like having their mods marked, I don't think they enjoy hunting for them.

There is no slippery slope argument - such a thing doesn't exist. There is only a slippery slope fallacy, and that's what you presented. (I hope I'm not offending you by saying this).

Below you, Reedman says he enjoys the loot hunt, so you do have a point, but I don't think most people find it that fun to search for mods at risk of losing the rewards bestowed upon them by the RNG God. The main counterargument seems to be "not necessary, people already mark drops", but if people like having their mods marked, I don't think they enjoy hunting for them.

Point is, i dont really understand where you draw the line. What is tedious and what is not? Cause if you go at it with this word, then a good 70% of any mmo can be described as tedious. You have to spend time on leveling, item hunting, grinding, selecting builds, selecting leveling areas, doing team play or even raids for better drops.... the list really does not have an end.

Occasionally missing a mod means something only as long as you dont have (at least) one of all mods. Past that you wont give a damn how many you lose since you will be swimming in them anyway. I started playing only a week ago and i have 10 pages of mods, so it indeed is a bit hard for me to relate to your problem.

To me its part of the game to look out for a mod, collect it, and be enough of a good sportsman to also mark it for the rest of my team. This doesnt really cover tedious for me.

Tedious is grinding the same boss 78 times cause you are having a bad luck and the desired item is not dropping.

EDIT: But yes, thats just me. Im obviously not you, so....

Edited by Aerensiniac

If they could actually fix the physics on item drops I wouldn't care, but I'm still seeing affinity orbs flying across the map. Imo mats,credits,health, energy and affinity should be picked up automatically within a certain range (a much wider one than we have now).

mod drop is a good way to avoid rusher, afkers, one man farming, etc

fast player are not better player

i think it's pretty good as it is

It's funny, cause I rush all the time and it's the people lagging behind who end up missing more mods and mats most of the time. Worrying about mods in a normal or boss mission is a waste of time anyways. You can get a lot more per time spent in defense missions.

Even then, no one is going to care about a couple credits and a mod or two if they're trying to get to the boss missions which they're going to have to grind for a while and consequently get plenty of mods and mats anyways.

Edited by Aggh