Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let Me Explain Exactly Why Melee 2.0 Is Broken.

Mehbah

And yes, broken is the right word. Why? Because it breaks melee combat as a fluid gameplay mechanic.

Before melee 2.0, melee combat was a complement to gunplay. You could combine them as you chose to. But now, melee combat is only viable as a standalone. It was already somewhat outclassed by guns, and melee 2.0 nerfed normal melee combat extremely hard. First off, Fury was nerfed into the ground. Melee swings are now much slower. That means you kill slower and put yourself in a vulnerable position longer. Second, charge attacks were removed. Weapons that relied on them are useless. They were replaced by channeling. Unfortunately, channeling can't be used without holding your melee weapon alone, which takes quite some time in the middle of a hectic fight. Switching to your melee weapon, swinging (which is now slower) and then switching back to your gun takes what seems like an enternity when you're being shot at by at least five different enemies. Third, standard combos are now shorter and more repetitive if you aren't holding the weapon alone.

In other words, melee combat was made completely pointless if you aren't going with "the sword alone". That's not an improvement. It used to be gun AND sword. Now it's gun OR sword. We're progressing backwards.

Also, stances. This isn't directly related to the main point of the thread, but it needs to be repeated. The fanbase shouldn't just accept it when DE lie to us and lock away the biggest thing they've hyped up behind an absolutely absurd amount of grinding. And thankfully people have been making it clear that this is just not acceptable, though DE aren't showing any signs of listening.

Also, stances. This isn't directly related to the main point of the thread, but it needs to be repeated. The fanbase shouldn't just accept it when DE lie to us and lock away the biggest thing they've hyped up behind an absolutely absurd amount of grinding. And thankfully people have been making it clear that this is just not acceptable, though DE aren't showing any signs of listening.

I never accepted it and will never do. DE broke my trust for the last time.

I have gotten warning points several times now for speaking my mind over this.. "update". 

well yea now whenever your NEED to shoot something and u r carrying your melee weapon i becomes kinda of a chore, like those annoying door sensors and arc traps, actually anything that is not in reach of melee, and stances... nice on paper, nice on youtube, i doubt anyone will be thinking... now ill' use this combo to kill that bombard... those combos work in games like Dynasty Warriors, and although warframe has some similarities it's not the same kind of gameplay.

I will freely admit I have not played much since the update, but felt that my melee attacks were doing far more damage.

I have not found a stance and was therefore using the "old" quick melee strikes.

I was using Zorens with a limited Melee 1.0 build as they were level 15 after a Forma (Fury, P Point, Radiation)

Was in Ceres Survival.

So, I don't think they "nerfed" the old quick melee, yes it is less diverse now you can only spam, but I was tearing through enemies.

Edit: I do think I will mostly use quick melee and not go sword only, while it may be viable with a stance mod, a gun will just be so much quicker.

Edited by Egg_Chen

Stances are useless. They are just different animations for your melee weapon. Nobody will be paying attention in their melee combinations in high-levels, in the matter of fact, nobody will be using melee in the first place when fighting level 100+ enemies.

1. You can still press E, mind you.

2. There's an Aura called Speed Holster, it'll do wonders for you.

3. Yes the Galatine is crap now we already know, same for the Jat. ( And some other charge weapons)

4. Choices are good, why would you wield a sword and a pistol on both hands? It's unpractical and wouldn't be a smooth gameplay concept.

5. And finally stances, yes, they should have done something about them ( Give one for free to each player for instance), here's hoping they make them more common than those stupid Ammo Drums

I don't agree.

Though there are some flaws, melee 2.0 generally made it much much more viable.

Before, there was only gun. Using your melee other than a galatine was pointless.

OP is not saying it isnt viable, he says that now we have to choose, the combat is less fluid, off course you can still use the old system and never equip the melee weapons but if you do the new features get locked out.

Melee damage certainly got pumped, the useless melee weapons finally serve purpose,

although some got gimped really hard (Galatine lost a lot of it's charm, damage and animation wise)

The combos while fancy are a bit tedious, Press xy time E pause press E again Bam, i feel like i'm cutting enemies without any tactical decision.

Mods, the droprate and the lack of preset mods was disappointing.

All in all, the intentions are good but the execution was poor.

this is a recap post ofpros and cons of melee 2.0

first off, its not "gun or sword." quick melee is still optional. (pro)

second, charge attack weapons have been wounded by their strong aspect removed. {con}

*i doubt DE hasnt forgotten personally*

third, it gives players more interaction with melee weapons instead of hack and slash. (pro)

fourth, combo chain melee multiplier. obviously (pro)

fifth, stances are mods. rng {con}

so far thats 3:2 pro

Edited by blackflashcannon

OP is not saying it isnt viable, he says that now we have to choose, the combat is less fluid, off course you can still use the old system and never equip the melee weapons but if you do the new features get locked out.

This is a much more concise way of saying it. I agree with this version much more

To anyone saying "you can still press E to do quick melee": you seriously need to stop being illiterate.

To anyone saying "then don't play the game": telling someone to GTFO is not a criticism shield.

That is what I am saying. That, and that quick melee is now terrible.

Uh, DE didn't lie to anyone. They said there were going to be stances. They also stated said stances will be implemented as mod cards you can place into weapons via an "Aura"-like slot. They Did Not ever state we would have these mods immediately the second the update hit. YOU and people like you ASSUMED that...which is pretty dumb imo. Again, look at what we were told beforehand: There will be Stance mod slots + There will be Stance mods = Stances will need to be obtained in some way or fashion; probably the same way almost all the other mods are obtained.

No one lied to you. You lied to yourself, and you're blaming DE for it.

Edited by SoulEchelon

To anyone saying "you can still press E to do quick melee": you seriously need to stop being illiterate.

you need to think this one through again, because i don't type with illiteracy

To anyone saying "then don't play the game": telling someone to GTFO is not a criticism shield.

i do agree with you here on the other hand

yeah it sucks that now you have a "melee mode" separate from other forms of combat.

Before all methods of attack.... well 3 at a time because you need to switch guns, but the point is that you had range, melee, and ability  usable at the same time and now if you want to use FULL melee abilities you have to switch out of guns. Now you can only use 2 methods of attack at once.

Uh, DE didn't lie to anyone. They said there were going to be stances. They also stated said stances will be implemented as mod cards you can place into weapons via an "Aura"-like slot. They Did Not ever state we would have these mods immediately the second the update hit. YOU and people like you ASSUMED that...which is pretty dumb imo. Again, look at what we were told beforehand: There will be Stance mod slots + There will be Stance mods = Stances will need to be obtained in some way or fashion; probably the same way almost all the other mods are obtained.

They said all melee weapons would come with a stance by default. It was in the devstream in which they showed off Hydroid gameplay.

Now stop acting like developers need to be protected from rightful criticism. They are not your friends. You shouldn't feel a need to defend them from the big, bad people-who-actually-criticize.

By the way, if you're going to start playing the devil's advocate and twisting meanings about how WELL TECHNICALLY YOU CAN CONSIDER THE LACK OF A STANCE TO BE A STANCE etc. you seriously need to rethink what you're doing.

you need to think this one through again, because i don't type with illiteracy

That depends on whether you consider what some of these people supposedly type to be writing.

Edited by Mehbah

They said all melee weapons would come with a stance by default. It was in the devstream in which they showed off Hydroid gameplay.

i want a devstream and time in the video

That depends on whether you consider what some of these people supposedly type to be writing.

what you typed was directed to me too.

Now stop acting like developers need to be protected from rightful criticism. They are not your friends. You shouldn't feel a need to defend them from the big, bad people-who-actually-criticize.

I also recall them saying in that same stream that the default stance would not have combos, just quick attacks. I'm not going to say I'm happy that we have to grind for stances but I was never under the impression that we were getting a default stance 'mod.'

DE did said that all weapons would come with a stance without combos. What they lacked to say is that THIS STANCE wasn't a mod, was simply the Old Melee system. They didn't quite explained (As mostly of times happens) that "Stance" was only a representation of animation setup instead of a mod. That caused a really S#&$storm on the forum, because DE didn't told us that the "Default" Stance was actually Melee 1.0.

And they do. The basic combo = said stance. They did NOT however state we were going to immediately get advanced combo stances, which are the ones for mod slots. Don't put words in their mouth and maybe you won't be so disappointed all the time.

You know I made a suggestion a long time ago about melee and it is so obvious.

when in gun mode melee should work as it always has for those who like that system there was no reason to change it.

when in melee mode your quick melee button becomes your quick fire button for your secondary weapon.

Primary fire is quick attack, Aim is strong attack

Primary fire can be charged and held like a bow charge for quick flurry of blows on release.

Aim can be held for a set time for a special like a short throw

quick strike combos charge up strong attack special move, strong attack combo charges up quick strike special move

Block is passive auto when in melee mode and not attacking