Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Katana Use Two Hand To Hold, Why These Mistake Nearly Happen On Every Game?

cary2010haha

And holding Galatine in one hand (If your imaginative, you can pretend it's being held on the shoulder).
 Not to mention using it like that

AUGH.

Compare this.

To the "Raise sword lower sword" bludgeoning of kendo.

Indeed, such was the difficulty of mastering the Zweihander, that mercenaries who did it were given literally double pay.

And holding Galatine in one hand (If your imaginative, you can pretend it's being held on the shoulder).

Not to mention using it like that

AUGH.

Compare this.

To the "Raise sword lower sword" bludgeoning of kendo.

Indeed, such was the difficulty of mastering the Zweihander, that mercenaries who did it were given literally double pay.

"Raise sword lower sword" bludgeoning of Kendo? You, sir, know practically nothing about Kendo. What you've shown in your video here is essentially fundamental Kendo waza (techniques) executed in a manner that does more damage to your blade and leaves you wide open to anyone who knows you're going to try to stab them in the face. I had to cringe when they let their swords meet edge-to-edge. Not saying there aren't ways around that, and I'm sure there's more to it than what you've shown, but criticizing a combat style you know nothing about is kinda dumb. 

Kendo only looks like bludgeoning to you because they're using a practice sword with no edge. The way the strikes are set up, if real swords were involved they'd be cutting through rather than bouncing off. There's also surprisingly little force behind the blows. 

"Raise sword lower sword" bludgeoning of Kendo? You, sir, know practically nothing about Kendo. What you've shown in your video here is essentially fundamental Kendo waza (techniques) executed in a manner that does more damage to your blade and leaves you wide open to anyone who knows you're going to try to stab them in the face. I had to cringe when they let their swords meet edge-to-edge. Not saying there aren't ways around that, and I'm sure there's more to it than what you've shown, but criticizing a combat style you know nothing about is kinda dumb. 

Kendo only looks like bludgeoning to you because they're using a practice sword with no edge. The way the strikes are set up, if real swords were involved they'd be cutting through rather than bouncing off. There's also surprisingly little force behind the blows. 

Edge-to-edge is actually an advantage, as if you've checked, alot of proper swordsmanship is getting the "Strong" of your blade to their "Weak" giving you the advantage.

If you're really trying to say Kendo's even comparable to Kunst Des Fechtens, your sadly mistaken. Here's a comparison

Chudan vs. Vom Tag

chudan.giftag.jpg

(Yes, Chudan is closer to Pflug, but this is comparing the main stance where a sword is held the most often)

Vom Tag has the sword in a much better and more versatile position, already in a guard, and capable of moving to the other side with ease, as well as guarding the lower or upper body, while Chudan is just asking for the sword to be batted aside, needs to be "Armed" to strike, et cetra.

You haven't watched the whole video yet have you? It's based around move and countermove and countermove, each strike, each followup.

In comparison, Kendo, there's often incredibly stupid things in there.

Case in point, Jigen Ryu

The art of screaming really loud and swinging from two dierections alot.

That's considered a full flipping style.

Edge-to-edge is actually an advantage, as if you've checked, alot of proper swordsmanship is getting the "Strong" of your blade to their "Weak" giving you the advantage.

If you're really trying to say Kendo's even comparable to Kunst Des Fechtens, your sadly mistaken. Here's a comparison

Chudan vs. Vom Tag

chudan.giftag.jpg

(Yes, Chudan is closer to Pflug, but this is comparing the main stance where a sword is held the most often)

Vom Tag has the sword in a much better and more versatile position, already in a guard, and capable of moving to the other side with ease, as well as guarding the lower or upper body, while Chudan is just asking for the sword to be batted aside, needs to be "Armed" to strike, et cetra.

You haven't watched the whole video yet have you? It's based around move and countermove and countermove, each strike, each followup.

In comparison, Kendo, there's often incredibly stupid things in there.

Case in point, Jigen Ryu

The art of screaming really loud and swinging from two dierections alot.

That's considered a full flipping style.

You're progressively showing me how little you actually know. Edge to edge is a complete disadvantage for anything that's actually a sword. It damages your weapon, blunts and chips its cutting edge, and all in all has zero benefits to recommend it over parrying with the flat of the blade, which is how real sword use goes down. 

Second, I'm not saying that Kendo is comparable to Kunst Des Fechtens. I'm perfectly familiar with chudan-no-kamae. I've spent five years practicing it myself. I'm saying that the swinging motions are not as different as you'd like to think. If you consider Kendo to consist of smashing movements, so does swinging a Zweihander. You implied that Kendo somehow made use of unrefined or inefficient movements, a matter on which you are completely mistaken and utterly uninformed. 

Furthermore, the difference in the stance should be a matter of course. A Zweihander distributes its weight differently than a katana. A claymore distributes its weight differently than a katana. A hand-and-a-half sword distributes its weight differently than a claymore. Your criticisms of chudan-no-kamae show all of your misinterpretations as well. It is a powerful balance of offense and defense; the stance is more stable than you're willing to give it credit for, can attack without needing to arm like you seem to think is necessary, allows the swordsman to defend in practically any direction as needed, and builds a number of its offensive maneuvers off of an opponent attempting to bat the sword to the side. When I look at your reportedly superior Vom Tag stance, what I see is a perfect opportunity to pin the sword to its wielder's body, rendering it completely ineffective for a significant amount of time. Not a flawed stance by any means, but it affords much less of an indisputable advantage than you'd like to think. 

I watched the entirety of your video before I ever stopped to reply. I saw the layered counters you are referring to, and I saw that they were executed in such a manner that they relied entirely on an opponent willingly locking blades and remaining relatively immobile. You haven't actually seen any kendo waza, have you? It's all based around move and counter-move, each strike followed up quickly to take advantage of openings in the opponent's defenses. Which was what I was saying before. Kendo has a superb repertoire of quick, powerful, and fluid counters available to it that function in a very similar manner of efficiency to the Zweihander counters you were praising. 

Case in point, you know nothing. Jigen-ryu is not Kendo. At all. It is also a one strike discipline. It emphasizes betting everything on the first strike and taking down an opponent before they have the chance to fight back. It is an initial killing blow. All the ridiculous-looking follow-up strikes you're criticizing are not intended for actual combat. They are conditioning training, and reinforcement of muscle-memory. I'm not going to claim to be some sort of expert on handling a zweihander. However, I have a respectable amount of experience with Kendo and handling a katana. My only point here is that you should learn about what you're going to criticize as inferior before you criticize it, rather than indulging in favoritism. Learn about kiai and the function it serves in actual combat before laughing at it because you think it sounds ridiculous. Learn about kamae and seme and the benefits they provide before describing them as flawed and worthless. I'm not saying that Kendo is decisively superior to Kunst Des Fechtens, Pflug, Vom Tag, or what have you. Just that your ridicule of Kendo and identification of its flaws is wrong, as in factually incorrect

My purpose in describing the flaws I see with your zweihander style is not to establish any actual flaws. It is to show you that theorycrafting is easy, and almost always shows staggering ignorance on the part of the theorycrafter when it comes to combat disciplines. Kendo is not "lift sword, lower sword bludgeoning," any more than your zweihander style is, and if you knew anything about Kendo you'd understand that. But you don't, so you'd be better off building up credibility for your position without needing to tear down another discipline to do it. It only shows your ignorance, and risks spreading it, so please stop. 

I don't really mind that Nikana is one-handed, what gets me is the combos.

The stance is called TRANQUIL CLEAVE. It is described as FRENZIED attacks. What actually happens is spasmodic stabs and dodge rolls. 

In particular, the stabs look so blindingly bad on a sword like that, coupled by the random dodge-rolls that make no sense and detract from your damage output.

What I wanted to see from one of the most 'masterful' Tenno weapon (Dragon requires the highest Mastery rank of all the Melee weapons) was a graceful flow of death, with awesome spins and flowing attacks that form epic combos and amazing finishers, What I got was actually worse than the base attack for me, and the only redeeming factor was the third combo (usable when holding down Block) that I use exclusively, because it is limited to more basic slashes.

Edited by Xarteros