Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Fight For-Uh..well...huh.

Code_Grey

First of all I would like to say I adore this game, the overall atmosphere is -perfect-.

Except for that..one thing. The galaxy is only populated by Tenno, Corpus and Grineer.

The thing that strikes me as odd is that there are no civilians, no innocent parties. You never even hear them netioned.

(As far as I know.)

The Corpus apparently control all trade routes. Who are they trading with, the Grineer? That doesn't sit right with me.

The Grineer are a huge empire of humans, well- I don't know about you, but an empire that takes over an empty galaxy is pretty laughable. (Especially since the Tenno are only recently awakened, at least I think.)

And the Tenno, are either fighting for profit or justice. What use is profit, if the only corporation in the entire system is the one they're destroying in order to make money? If Justice, well, why does it matter? If the Grineer and Corpus are making people's lives worse, that would be fine. But without any hint of other innocent life in the galaxy, the factions just feel like they were minding their own business, and then cyborg ninjas with floating wads of chewing gum appear to murder them all.

I'd very much like to see more of what the Tenno could be fighting for. Even if the Lotus just says "This ship has severel hundred kidnapped colonists onboard, eliminate the opposition and deliver the datamass to the navcomputer." That would do an entire world of good for the atmosphere of the game. (Changing the interface slightly so you buy weapons from an arms dealer would also be a huge gain for minimal actual change.)

I always got the impression that Tenno were some sort of Orokin defence system that outlived their masters and were just trying to follow their directives by keeping Orokin technology out of the hands of the Corpus/Grineer (Golem's mission implies the Orokin fought the Infested before they disappeared, so the Tenno would see them as enemies too.)

Note how nearly every mission has something to do with Orokin technology, whether taking it back from those who took it, destroying mining tools so they can't uncover more etc.

I agree with you, Code_Grey. I too have felt the absence of civvies. Perhaps in a future update? You might not need to implement interactable civilians - maybe we are fighting through a building or something and on some gangways or elevated varendah you can see the teeming masses below? Would be nice for some context to the universe.

The implication there is other factions

anyone familar with the gundam franchise should know that a colonized solar system can have plenty of factons in it since space is ya know large.

It's just at the moment those elements are under development.

I always got the impression that Tenno were some sort of Orokin defence system that outlived their masters and were just trying to follow their directives by keeping Orokin technology out of the hands of the Corpus/Grineer (Golem's mission implies the Orokin fought the Infested before they disappeared, so the Tenno would see them as enemies too.)

Note how nearly every mission has something to do with Orokin technology, whether taking it back from those who took it, destroying mining tools so they can't uncover more etc.

Makes sense. Maybe check out the lore section OP.

Grineer are not an empire of humans but of clones. A race which only seeks war does not need any civilian clones you know.

And why should we do missions where civilians are? Why should there be civilians in the first place. Why should corpus place their vulnerable people near rare orokin artifacts, which are what we want by the way, if these artifacts are highly wanted by everything in the universe?

Just wait for further updates and let the story evolve

Edited by Venarge

It's probably safe to say that the majority of souls in the galaxy don't know about orokin technology. They might have gone into legend. It's conceivable, imho, that Corpus might have facilities floating above a city? Even Grineer - an empire of clones... to what end? An empire lords it over others to outdo others. Just having your own bunch of minions without purpose sounds... pointless.

Fair points. But what is -lost- by just giving the impression that there are indeed civilians in this galaxy?

All I'm saying is, just hint at them being there. That arms dealer I hinted at, didn't need to be an interactive NPC. Just give the weapon shop it's own tab and name it 'Arms Dealer', and give it some flavour text. The Lotus can have some extra dialogue lines for Raid, Rescue Capture missions.

None of these things detract from the game, and yet it has the potential to add significantly more depth into the universe, and give the 'Bad guys' a way to be the Bad Guys.

Except for Nef Anyo, you're a naughty naughty man and I will always glare at you.

There are mentions of a "council", and that the Tenno would earn favor from them by disposing of Vay Hek. Since I doubt Grineers would ever favor Tenno, I think there must be other factions or races making up the rest of the Council.

Also, Lotus doesn't really strike me as a 100% benevolent entity to me. Especially how she constantly tries to set back attempts at improving technology using the Orokin artifacts.

Edited by CaligoIllioneus

There are mentions of a "council", and that the Tenno would earn favor from them by disposing of Vay Hek. Since I doubt Grineers would ever favor Tenno, I think there must be other factions or races making up the rest of the Council.

Yeah, 4th race, The Centients

And when you first start up the game, "Lotus" (using quotes because I'm not quite sure if she's the Lotus or just some sort of middle-woman) says the area the game currently covers is "The Sector you've been assigned to", which implies Earth's Solar System isn't the only one they watch over.

lol @ ven's attached pic, i laughed hard :P, But in all honesty guys, Global agenda (sorry for bringing up a different game) had tons less lore, tons less graphics, and i still dumped the hours gladly into it. atleast they'll bring more lore to the table in the future instead of staring us down going [size=6]MUHAHA![/size]"we gave you a backdrop. so deal with it!"

Edited by Greavence

Also, Lotus doesn't really strike me as a 100% benevolent entity to me. Especially how she constantly tries to set back attempts at improving technology using the Orokin artifacts.

Particularly assasinating Tyl Regor. While strategically it makes plenty of sense to kill someone close to solving the Grineer's cloning degeneration problem, it's also not a nice thing to do unless all Grineer everywhere are evil.

Ultimately, I'd really like more detail on why I'm killing all these space marines and corpus guys. I mean, the corpus seem to be doing things like rebuilding infrastructure (ie the pluto terminus), while the grineer are presumably fighting back the infested.

1) Very early on in the game, there was an option to play as a civilian. No armor, no guns, and the two default character skins came with the names "Cannon Fodder" and "Bullet Sponge". After a while, players started catching on, and then nobody was playing them anymore.

2) The Infested ate them all.

3) Civilian humans now live in Wolf 359. Sol system is considered a 'bad neighborhood' these days.

4) Update 8.2 is scheduled to introduce a HUGE ship orbiting out near Pluto, where all the civilians now live. Guild Halls will be housed inside. You can buy Warframe t-shirts and strawberry icees there.

Actually the fact that Tennos are So few, gives me the impression that this is THEIR solar system to beging with... each planet provides the blueprints to a certain warframe ... AKA, where those warframes where meant to be made... for whatever the reason, they may have put down their life for battle and moved onto a more passive state... Probably where the Lotus comes in...

the fact that the Lotus is guiding you means they are probably that "3rd party u ask for" ... However you do not see.. or NEED to see this within the game

why?

Simple.. you are SOOO few in numbers that the lotus would only send you to specific mission!!!

^ (Explains why you have no back up in any way)

also although there are many planets, you also don't nessesarily see anything outside Enemy territory... this can also be explain by that explanation...

Edited by Tsusuya

Well, at least I'm not the only one who would like some more context for fighting. (Yeah yeah, Orokin technology.) But I, as a player, don't care.

Why should I care if the Grineer get this tech? Who could they possibly harm with it? Themselves, the Corpus and the Infected. OH NO BETTER STOP THEM.

Nef Anyo, he was selling Tenno pods. He shortly became red paste.

^ This is context. I care about other Tenno, and I would care about civvies. I do not care if the Corpus get a glowing white cube that does nothing but hurt the other evil guys.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense, I swear this all sounds good in my head.

Particularly assasinating Tyl Regor. While strategically it makes plenty of sense to kill someone close to solving the Grineer's cloning degeneration problem, it's also not a nice thing to do unless all Grineer everywhere are evil.

Ultimately, I'd really like more detail on why I'm killing all these space marines and corpus guys. I mean, the corpus seem to be doing things like rebuilding infrastructure (ie the pluto terminus), while the grineer are presumably fighting back the infested.

Yes, I forgot about Tyl Regor.

We don't even know who the Grineer are oppressing. They're part of a council with other factions or races, and we never hear about them comitting any atrocity or anything. The worst thing they do is trying to improve their technology via research into Orokin artifacts.

We do know they fought wars previously (many of the assassination targets are war vets) but they don't seem to still be at war now.

I mean, Lotus mentions how they're jingoist and whatever... but they do in fact have seats in a council so they must be at peace with the other factions.

And the Corpus...what are the Corpus really doing "wrong"? Messing with Orokin technology, creating new kinds of robot and repairing trade lanes seems to be their main activities. Repairing the Solar Rails is a very good thing, by the way. The only exception is Nef Anyo who seems to smuggle Tenno cryopods...but...is Lotus really worried about the Tenno inside? No.

She clearly says that she just doesn't want Warframe technology to fall into the "wrong hands".

The final nail in the coffin is that the Tenno do in fact use Orokin technology. We supercharge weapons and warframes with Orokin reactors and catalysts, some weapons are of Orokin design (Boltor/Bolto for example), etc. The warframes themselves come from the Orokin era.

What are the intentions of the Lotus then? Keeping the rest of the galaxy less advanced than themselves, and attaining political power in the galaxy.

She (or the organization she represents) is clearly no better than the Grineer or Corpus. She/they may as well be worse.

Lotus basically commits indirect genocide by killing Tyl Regor and stopping his investigations. It's stated many times that their genetic deterioration will be their end, but Tyl Regor was finding a process to revert this, and we kill him.

First of all I would like to say I adore this game, the overall atmosphere is -perfect-.

Except for that..one thing. The galaxy is only populated by Tenno, Corpus and Grineer.

The thing that strikes me as odd is that there are no civilians, no innocent parties. You never even hear them netioned.

(As far as I know.)

You are a Tenno sent to do sabotage, raid, capture, rescue, and exterminate the enemies in their bases.

Pretty sure that their bases aren't going to be filled with civvies hanging out.

The Corpus apparently control all trade routes. Who are they trading with, the Grineer? That doesn't sit right with me.

Why not? Countries in this world trade and have relations with each other while at the same time they "hate" each other. It's not until actual open hostilities that things start to get cut off.

The Grineer are a huge empire of humans, well- I don't know about you, but an empire that takes over an empty galaxy is pretty laughable. (Especially since the Tenno are only recently awakened, at least I think.)

They are trying to control the solar sytem, meaning, everything that floats around the sun.

And through the game they do mention others. But so far the major factions we are dealing with are Corpus, Infested, and Grineer.

And the Tenno, are either fighting for profit or justice. What use is profit, if the only corporation in the entire system is the one they're destroying in order to make money? If Justice, well, why does it matter? If the Grineer and Corpus are making people's lives worse, that would be fine. But without any hint of other innocent life in the galaxy, the factions just feel like they were minding their own business, and then cyborg ninjas with floating wads of chewing gum appear to murder them all.

I'd very much like to see more of what the Tenno could be fighting for. Even if the Lotus just says "This ship has severel hundred kidnapped colonists onboard, eliminate the opposition and deliver the datamass to the navcomputer." That would do an entire world of good for the atmosphere of the game. (Changing the interface slightly so you buy weapons from an arms dealer would also be a huge gain for minimal actual change.)

It's pretty clear that the game revovels around obtaining Orokin technology and most mission pretty much surround that. You are either getting info about it, actually acquiring artifacts, defending Tenno crypods who have no awoken, and the like. Chief Anyo's mission, if you listen to the dialogue, is about how he has a bunch of warframes and is selling them to the highest bidder who are a bunch of "rogue scientists."

Each boss mission has it's own storyline which is told by Lotus as you go through the mission. Does this game have Subtitles for dialogue? I think it should add subtitles so people could pay attention to what is being said because it looks like by the time people get to boss missions they have tuned her out by that point and all the shooting, rushing, and fighting also take the focus away.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

@Venarge: I laughed hard too. I love those yellow guys! OK. Maybe not completely pointless, I'll concede to that. :D

@Caligolllioneus: I got the same vibe. I'm feeling something like the Dune universe + old republic? Corpus seem to fulfil a "navigator-guild" like purpose. Then there's a council. Some kind of galactic council? Is the Lotus like the bene gesserit? Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to the promised lore update! :)

Mak_Gohae has slightly misunderstood my point. I did not want peruvian flute bands hanging out in the reactor core. I wanted the galaxy to feel more alive, and for some real context for what we do. (IE: Consequences if we don't.)

I'm either not making sense, as I feared, or he just didn't quite read thorougly. Your answer is due tomorrow, five hundred words, double space.