Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

O2 In Survival

drMightyPotato

Im gonna start this off by saying I HATE survival in its current state.

Every time im in the middle of a blood bath i get slapped back into reality by the life support. I mean, why cant we have our survival be like any other? Without the life support.

Sure someone will say ''you are a noob life supp is easy to keep track of'', well my furry fellow i never said its hard to keep track of. One thing is losing in survival when you don't have enough O2 and entirely another when im so focused on being a badass and killing stuff only to notice that my health is slowly draining while at the same time the whole place is littered with life support drops both big and small. And THAT is my biggest problem.  

Sure some days i solo almost 40 mins of survival without any problems but most of the time im enjoying myself so much and am so into the whole 1vALL that i simply forget that life support needs to be replenished.

I don't know if its possible or not but i would like to ask DE if we can have it removed or replaced by something else, something less distracting. The idea behind survival is grand but each time i have to leave in 15 min time solo cause of life support is such a kill joy.

ps. sometimes even i just leave myself simply cause running around activating life support to stay in longer is a bother. 

pps. Just to recap its not hard or difficult its just annoying.

I think the distraction is necessary, otherwise survival would just be 40-60 minutes of easy farm every run, with all players at 1k+ kills, and everyone leaving with 150 mods.

Having to secure and time air supply drops keeps things interesting (you can't just hole up in an area and destroy everything coming through a door forever) and prevents other maps from being completely irrelevant.

While I welcome some free-fire/zen mode where you just kill for fun, survival as it is right now is just fine.

You're killing enemies for oxygen packs - you're trying to survive on oxygen; not so much the onslaught itself.

Annoying? Not really. If you forget to refill on oxygen, that's your fault.

Survival needs a gimmick besides "go in and kill everything until they kick your sorry &#!." Otherwise, it would be an endless extermination/defense love child.

The air support system is fine as-is. Some people do find it an unnecessary annoyance in their murderous onslaught, but it's part of the aspect of surviving as long as you can and it doesn't need to change (except oxygen should maybe drop more). It's second nature to us to kill enemies, so the challenge is to keep in mind that you have limited time (oxygen) and you'll have to make the conscious decision when you need more and when you cannot control the situation any longer and must leave.

The only solution here is you'll have to figure out how to remind yourself about the oxygen gimmick. If it's too annoying or tedious, there's always endless defense.

Edited by Aramet

It's needed so you can't go on forever, hoarding up hundreds of mods and rewards. In 30 minutes you get 6 reward items and 30+ mods already. Without it, you could easily reach an hour whith a four man squad. On infested levels, you could go practically forever by kiting them around.

If oxigen was removed you could get all the rewards you want by simply going to a place where mobs can't reach you/can't hurt you and AFK untill the desired reward drops.

Besides, it's not that hard to keep an eye on the oxigen level. You don't need to stare at it and analise it for minutes, just look at it and decide if you need to use a pod or not. Another good way is to actually stay close to pods. You don't have to camp on them, just be around them and not on the other side of the map.

The only fault of the survivla system is that it has RNG in it. Mob spawn rate and personal modul drops can separate an avarage run and a long one, or even at some levels a scramble for pods as soon as they arrive.

Edited by Recel

I saw a thread a while back suggesting a revision of the mode that makes more sense because you're covering the Tenno operative's &#!

Instead of oxygen, you're killing mobs to keep up the 'distraction meter', and if you don't kill things fast enough then the meter goes down and the operative loses health, that way you're not screwed out of your T3 survival keys by the game not RNGing enough life support and Nekros is no longer essential for the longevity of survival runs

Edited by DoomsDayDan

The current survival cannot, well, survive on just fighting. The AI isn't terribly intelligent, or immensely powerful for that matter. If you have the right team of warframes, you can probably do survival indefinately if o2 isn't a problem.

Even if AI got far better, I'm still doubtful that o2 will get removed. There's lots of nooks and crannies in just about every map that you can hide in and take pot shots at enemies unable to reach you. Those would have to be removed (including the hidden treasure rooms in the void) as well if you don't want to deal with o2.

All I know is that as long as I can one-shot enemies, I should be able to survive. Running out of air waiting for enemies to spawn makes no sense.

Oxygen should be a mechanic to keep players on the move, it shouldn't be the #1 cause for premature extraction.