Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reworking The Sniper Rifles

CryoClaw

So yeah
Anyone else feels that sniper rifles should be reintroduced?
With this I mean:
actual scopes for long range shooting
More sniper rifle focused mods
Sniper rifles with unique attributes (penetrating shots which fly trough multiple targets & explosive timed darts for a nice AoE effect)

Add your ideas and if you agree in the first place

Edited by CryoClaw

So yeah

Anyone else feels that sniper rifles should be reintroduced?

With this I mean:

actual scopes for long range shooting

More sniper rifle focused mods

Sniper rifles with unique attributes (penetrating shots which fly trough multiple targets & explosive timed darts for a nice AoE effect)

Add your ideas and if Yo agree in the first place

hm.

actual scopes?  you touch my vectis scope u die. i like the scope the way it is.

more sniper rifle focused mods,  yes this would be nice so we can compete with bows

unique attributes. that would be nice. right now only the lanka has one.

uwot

Lanka and Vectis are the only 'real' snipers in the game (we don't talk about the disgrace known as the Vulkar)

Both have scopes

Both can use charged chamber viably, which rifles cannot (more so the Vectis than the Lanka)

They have sniper conversion ammo mods, along with the above charged chamber mod thing

Lanka penetrates cover and enemies already. Vectis has a low zoom allowing for close range sniping. Both of these can be considered as special attributes.

While the sniper rifles are lacking in numbers, I find them viable as is. Mind you I don't entirely disagree with you; the snipers truly do need a bit of a tweak to keep up with the bows, but don't need to be 'introduced' as you put it.

I agree, even my snipertron vandal isn't as good as my other weapons, and i would LOVE sniper rifles to feel more snipey in this fast game, and honestly i dont think its possible in a game where enemies come from everywhere and in teams you gotta go fast or you get no kills, maybe maps that are more snipe supporting would help, like corpus outposts, but awesome ideas

Still, since bows were buffed snipers have been sort of "left behind". I have paris prime and vectis and I will always choose paris prime over vectis, for it is quicked and it deals the same if not more language, plus primed chamber, the only mod which would make snipers awesome, is no longer obtainable or just too expensive to buy for platinums.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the scopes, they do their job, but some tweaks would definitively improve them.

I agree, even my snipertron vandal isn't as good as my other weapons, and i would LOVE sniper rifles to feel more snipey in this fast game, and honestly i dont think its possible in a game where enemies come from everywhere and in teams you gotta go fast or you get no kills, maybe maps that are more snipe supporting would help, like corpus outposts, but awesome ideas

yes more open maps i actually forgot to add that 

do i have your premission ?

hm.

actual scopes?  you touch my vectis scope u die. i like the scope the way it is.

more sniper rifle focused mods,  yes this would be nice so we can compete with bows

unique attributes. that would be nice. right now only the lanka has one.

well to be honest vectis doesnt have an actual scope ? right ?

its just zoom

Personally I would love mods that allow to change the zoom range, and/or have a special HUD interaction when in sniping mode to indicate where enemies are without having to come out of sniper mode. Like an assist system for finding targets.

That's what metal auger is for.

quickly ! lets find something to brag about !

btw metal auger mostly penetrates up to 3 enemies from my experience 

i want a barret like sniper rifle that would penetrate and maybe even kill a whole line of enemies 

just like the arrows throw throw the bodies 

sniper needs to have high and very punishing damage per shot, but bows needs to have innate high crit/headshot multiplier. and both needs innate punch through

that way people can pick which one is more of their style, to provide high damage CC from afar, or to get up closer and hit the enemy weak points for massive damage

sniper needs to have high and very punishing damage per shot, but bows needs to have innate high crit/headshot multiplier. and both needs innate punch through

that way people can pick which one is more of their style, to provide high damage CC from afar, or to get up closer and hit the enemy weak points for massive damage

why would you want a crowd control sniper? kinda defeats the purpose of it being that pick off the worst possible enemy from a distance deal.

That's what metal auger is for.

metal auger costs a total of 15 mod-energy if i'm not mistaken, and can only penetrate up to 3/4 enemies

bows can "penetrate" an infinite number of enemies by default

snipers are inferior to bows in every way right now, except for hitscan (which only vectis and (ugh) vulkar have)

it just doesnt seem right that a high-caliber gun is inferior to the most basic ranged weapon known to mankind

i would really like it if we got highlighted enemies when zoomed in and innate punch-through for the sniper-rifles

Edited by OnnaJReverT

I'd say reintroducing would be a tad much, but some touching up really needs to be done.

-Give us more Non-mod scope options (give us a tab in appearances w/ accessories)

>Also I think we should get damage bonus for using the scope or something of the like

-Give Sniper Rifles innate puncture, We're firing rounds with a LOT of force, I wouldn't be against them getting 1m free puncture

-Snipers need more sniper specific mods (Primed Chamber is a farce and it's really only useful on Vectis, and I hate that), some ideas (don't take numbers here seriously, just for an idea)

>>DeadShot : +100% Headshot Damage

>>SureShot: +X10%, +10% of every 10m away we are from the target

>>Scanners: Headshots cause explosions that deal damage to targets in the immediate vicinity

>>Dissapate: OverKill damage keeps propagating forward (Like puncture) until all damage is used up.

Sniping should be about rewarding a player for skill based gameplay and atm the only real way to do that is with a bow (or a vectis with PC but again, that's silly atm)

Edited by Chupacabra

I'd say reintroducing would be a tad much, but some touching up really needs to be done.

-Give us more Non-mod scope options (give us a tab in appearances w/ accessories)

>Also I think we should get damage bonus for using the scope or something of the like

-Give Sniper Rifles innate puncture, We're firing rounds with a LOT of force, I wouldn't be against them getting 1m free puncture

-Snipers need more sniper specific mods (Primed Chamber is a farce and it's really only useful on Vectis, and I hate that), some ideas (don't take numbers here seriously, just for an idea)

>>DeadShot : +100% Headshot Damage

>>SureShot: +X10%, +10% of every 10m away we are from the target

>>Scanners: Headshots cause explosions that deal damage to targets in the immediate vicinity

>>Dissapate: OverKill damage keeps propagating forward (Like puncture) until all damage is used up.

Sniping should be about rewarding a player for skill based gameplay and atm the only real way to do that is with a bow (or a vectis with PC but again, that's silly atm)

i like the mod-ideas you have there, especially the distance-bonus

the scopes might be a bad idea, considering DE uses cosmetics as plat-only items, could be put in alarms though, like the helmets (instead of friggin money-alerts, who does those anyway?)

maybe some mods that change the zoom of the weapon, or give different zoom-options you can toggle between (see HALOs sniper rifle, you can toggle between no, x4 and x16 zoom)

as for primed chamber, it's a farce indeed, one of the first weapons i crafted in warframe was a vectis, only to learn that the single best mod for it is de-facto unobtainable

Edited by OnnaJReverT

I'd love to get some love for Sniper Rifles...

I normally always use a Sniper Rifle when available in games, preferring to pick off high priority targets from a distance before they become a threat.

I even more like to use bolt action rifles, they just feel satisfying to use.

All this makes me really want to build and use the Vectis - Unfortunately, the damage and utility of it (As well as the fact that it's re-fire speed is based off Reload Time rather than Fire Rate - The mod for Reload Time - Fast Hands - is pretty lackluster compared to the 2 Fire Rate mods - Shred and Speed Trigger) means that I'm far better off just running with a Bow...

Bows have better Critical Chance, have pseudo Punch Through (Making them excellent for multi-target hits), can more easily be fired repeatedly (Fire Rate mods > Reload) and have nearly the same base damage (Lanka = 250, Vectis = 174, Paris Prime/Dread = 200) - Not to mention that you can theoretically run with 3 out of the 4 bows in order to utilize the best one versus each faction due to specialized damage types to better utilize their damage (Dread = Slashing, Paris Prime = Puncture, Cernos = Impact)

As far as how I'd fix the Sniper Rifles to make them useful:

- Innate Punch Through. Not necessarily Bows infinite "Punch Through" from kills, but something to be able to hit more than 1 target without expensive mods (Those mods could still buff it up though)

- Better Reload Mods. Although Sniper Rifles aren't supposed to be assault weapons, Warframe is a fast game that typically takes place in medium to small areas. Being able to use Sniper Rifles for combat means being able to shoot repeatedly - Snipers currently have pretty horrible reload speeds, on par with Shotguns (Who also have a mediocre reload mod)

- Increased crit chance and crit multiplier - Probably in the form of a Sniper exclusive mod - Possibly only for headshots (Promotes skill, games typically focus on giving head shot benefits to sniper rifles (Despite actual snipers aiming for center of mass))

Edited by Tarille

I'd love to get some love for Sniper Rifles...

I normally always use a Sniper Rifle when available in games, preferring to pick off high priority targets from a distance before they become a threat.

I even more like to use bolt action rifles, they just feel satisfying to use.

All this makes me really want to build and use the Vectis - Unfortunately, the damage and utility of it (As well as the fact that it's re-fire speed is based off Reload Time rather than Fire Rate - The mod for Reload Time - Fast Hands - is pretty lackluster compared to the 2 Fire Rate mods - Shred and Speed Trigger) means that I'm far better off just running with a Bow...

Bows have better Critical Chance, have pseudo Punch Through (Making them excellent for multi-target hits), can more easily be fired repeatedly (Fire Rate mods > Reload) and have nearly the same base damage (Lanka = 250, Vectis = 174, Paris Prime/Dread = 200) - Not to mention that you can theoretically run with 3 out of the 4 bows in order to utilize the best one versus each faction due to specialized damage types to better utilize their damage (Dread = Slashing, Paris Prime = Puncture, Cernos = Impact)

As far as how I'd fix the Sniper Rifles to make them useful:

- Innate Punch Through. Not necessarily Bows infinite "Punch Through" from kills, but something to be able to hit more than 1 target without expensive mods (Those mods could still buff it up though)

- Better Reload Mods. Although Sniper Rifles aren't supposed to be assault weapons, Warframe is a fast game that typically takes place in medium to small areas. Being able to use Sniper Rifles for combat means being able to shoot repeatedly - Snipers currently have pretty horrible reload speeds, on par with Shotguns (Who also have a mediocre reload mod)

- Increased crit chance and crit multiplier - Probably in the form of a Sniper exclusive mod - Possibly only for headshots (Promotes skill, games typically focus on giving head shot benefits to sniper rifles (Despite actual snipers aiming for center of mass))

i actually never had much of an issue with my vectis' reload-speed, fast hands alone gets it down to 0.7, any faster and getting headshots would be either extremely hard in the fray or outright impossible (not to mention the horrible enemy-pathing, btu that's another thing)

i can see the problem on lanka, though, but that rifle has a 10-shot magazine by default