The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Amprex Or Synapse?

Drunken_Child

Question

16 answers to this question

Looked at the base stats of the Amprex, and.. um.. WOW. It has exactly the same base DPS as the Soma. The difference is, it starts with 50% crit chance, meaning you can get it to 100% with a rank 2 Point Strike, instead of the 75% the Soma gets with Point Strike maxed. That's a crap-ton of extra damage. It also has a 2-sec reload instead of 3. And good status chance to boot. My money says this probably ends up being the new highest DPS rifle.

Oh yeah, and supposedly it does some kind of chain-AOE attack. This thing could be ridiculous. Maybe someone willing to shell out the plat to get it now can let us know. :D

Edit: Missed the fact that the Amprex only gets a 2x crit damage multiplier, while the Soma gets a 3x. It's not going to do as much single-target DPS as the Soma, but the AOE might still make it better. On paper, it's basically better than the Synapse in literally every way, except .5 second longer reload, and less ammo efficient. Will have to see if it has some other drawback in actual use.

Edited by DocHolliday13

I wanna say Amprex just because I like the aesthetics and I always wanted a chain-lightning gun, but I can't help but feel like it should be toned down so that it's not a blatant upgrade to the Synapse. Perhaps they could tone down it's crit multiplier so that the Synapse is the high damage, single target lightning gun, and the Amprex offers lower damage but has better CC.

EDIT: Then again, I shouldn't judge it since I don't own it yet, maybe the lower base damage is enough in itself to make it sidegrade material rather than a straight upgrade. I'm going to wait for it to finish baking before I call powercreep.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Everyone is talking about the Amprex's 50% crit chance and how its better than the synapse. Hey guys! You DO realize that the synapse has a 50% crit chance too, don't you? And also, the synapse has 5 more base damage (7.5=amprex/12.5=synapse) and better reload while the amprex has 20% status chance to the synapse's 10% and has double fire rate too. Factoring in the chain lightning, (which if it works well would make this gun amazing) and I think that the amprex is better overall, but with less base damage and 2x fire rate, it will be a HUGE bullet hose. So on higher lvls, the synapse would probably be better to kill heavies. Personally though, I think I will like the amprex more than the synapse, we'll just have to wait and see.

Compared to Synapse, two things stick out to me about the Amprex.

First is it has double the base status chance and less damage.

Second it it has basically the same stats otherwise.

If the chain lightning effect works as i think it will, then the Amp can forego Metal Auger or Shred without losing DPS against crowds, so its highly likely that Amp will come out on top.

So far i think a crit/status biuld is going to take it furtherest.

Here is my experince with the AMPRE.

Ohh look at that group of mob's. Sure wish i had nova's mprime equiped. Guess ill go with the next best thing, lazer gun that hits everything in the crowd and always crits. Did i mention it has incredible fire rate and with the hammershot+MF+HV you status 60% of the time. Ohh and the ark often jumps to the next mod for  a head shot and keeps headhotting them as it jumps to the next mob. Wonderful.

Cons: It has the range of a shotgun

Ammo can run out FAST.