Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stance Mods Even Effective?

Hiphopotamus

Besides how they give you extra mod points to spend, is there even a reason to use stances? Or perhaps one stance over another? In my experience so far, it just seems like stances restrict mobility compared to just strafing and attacking. I mean I know there's combos with aoe and such, but is there really a big advantage to using stances at all?

P.S. I don't mean to sound like I'm downtalking stances, I'm just asking an honest question

Nope, worthless thing.

Swap to the melee...

...Get closer to enemy (if you smart you use a frame like loki teleport, excalibur slash dash, etc)

...then push buttons for 5-8seconds, if you fast enough and precise enough, you get a combo, with nice animation and maybe you get your enemy down to 50% hp (on high level, above lvl30)

...while I'm playing with my guns, shoot enemies all around you by the time you do the above slow, unrewarding but cool looking moves. I mean every damn time people in survival or defense start doing that silly thing, they end up going toward enemies that me or others already killed with guns and frame abilities.

Space ninja my a$$, seriously, its for clowns.

Edited by H0PE

The combo's just look awesome man. Besides, there are some wild cards like Iron Phoenix which deals explosive damage at the end of a combo.

Not to mention the extra mod slots.

Yep thats what I'm telling you... Go on, look cool, do zero dmg while doing that but you look cool while your friends do 95% of the dmg and job in the mission.

Its never the player's fault though its the stupid development designers'. Pff, design...

I would actually say most are effective. The only ones that come to mind that aren't nearly as effective as they should be are rending crane,shimmering blight, and the Shattering Storm, but this is mostly because their counterpart stance performs the same function, but more effectively.

Yep thats what I'm telling you... Go on, look cool, do zero dmg while doing that but you look cool while your friends do 95% of the dmg and job in the mission.

Its never the player's fault though its the stupid development designers'. Pff, design...

Solo melee-only missions are the most fun that I have on Warframe atm. Also no one said that you should run around spamming combo's on a public mission - in fact that's just absurd. Get your Frost out and go do a melee only on an ODD, it's a helluva lotta' fun killing in style.

I once did a 40 minute survival on Phobos with some friends in one of the few times I was able to connect to coop, using my Valkyr equipped with nothing but a Rank 4 Dragon Nikana.

I may not have dealt the most damage, but I was the only one that didn't need reviving, hence I was the one reviving them and popping the life support, and I got the most melee kills in the process. Without using Hysteria once. And my Dragon Nikana went from Rank 4 to Rank 18 instantly.

Solo melee-only missions are the most fun that I have on Warframe atm.

Agree with this. Solo melee-only runs is one of the places where the new melee shines, even up to Pluto and Tier III Void.

Over the modules I have gotten so far; the stances for all intents of normal game play seem worthless.

Most of this is attributed to the simple fact that you can queue commands up to 2-3 steps; the steps DO lag behind the input (because melee is not instantaneous) and that finally throwing on flurry or other speed mods or even berserker throws the entire cadence off MASSIVELY. 

So repeatability even if you get the timing down is the first issue. 

The second issue is lack of utility on most of them;

They look cool but just about everything on the mods so far that the combos allow can be nearly done with quick attack or slide attack. This is of course based on the mods I got so far. Range extension for one strike of 5 lacks poor feel. Increased DPS is highly unnoticeable even at near max level content available outside of endless modes and by the time it becomes notable the damage incomming is high enough to negate the mere idea of running out to do melee quick strikes even. Most of the combos that have stun seem very questionable as the base weapon does most of it already without the stance. Increasing energy level does nothing to the stance itself it seems outside of providing more energy. Stamina drain on meleeing is freakishly massive requiring most Warframes to go stamina build to overcome the issues associated with melee 2.0 and as a mere comparison to other activities the melee activity consumes stamina excessively faster than most acrobatics chained together and ultimately puts the player in a highly vulnerable spot unable to get away should odds go wrong. 

Stances Obtained so far:

Burning Wasp

Clashing Forest

Falling Branch

Fracturing Wind

Gnashing Payara

Iron Phoenix

Reaping Spiral

Shimmering Blight

Sundering Wave

If I had to suggest how to improve it:

Introduce a near reticule UI element that helps with timing and keeps up with the weapon speed variations caused by outside factors such as powers or mod cards so no matter how different the weapons speed is you can always have a good indication on when to strike, when to hold, when to pause. 

Either remove innate abilities from melee weapons to give the stances the ability to 'awaken' innate abilities on the weapons; OR ensure stance and combo provisions rewards are not shared with any of the base weapons; for this manner all stuns needs to be removed at least from all weapons by default and the bonuses provided portfolio expand vastly to include all types of various effects such as shield boosts; health recovery; stamina drain; stunning; knockdown; force fields; elemental immunities; melee speed; even ammo restoration. 

Expand the stance set to include defensive based stances which focuses on blocking and counter attacks so that the timing is more based on hostile attacks such as batting back a missile at the enemy; or highly lethal attack on a countered melee attempt or a properly timed block of a smash turning into an execution. 

On the same token, do anyone of you think Tranquil Cleave is good? (Provided if you own one) It certainly expands the amount of slashes.

It has one interesting combo, but I just don't like the mobility penalty of that stance. If the default E combo didn't get replaced, I'd be using that stance. Afterall, I farmed for quite a while to get it.