The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban Vortex Nerf

VKhaun

You know it's coming. If Trinity and Frost were unacceptable, there's no way DE is going to let us sit around the universe-bending campfire that is Vortex forever.

IMO?

Bastille already has a max targets. I don't think Vortex should. I like Vortex as something absolute and scary, like a black hole.

I would nerf Vortex so that it only sucks in enemies during the first... third?... of it's duration. Still holds them for full duration, but stops sucking in new targets after the first third. That way it's still useful as the vortex grenade where you throw it at any number of targets, offensively or defensively, and suck them all in. Maybe make range effect the distance of the pull to compensate. But you wouldn't be able to just plop it down every minute or so and pwn anything and everything that tried to move through the area.

EDIT--

Vortex only really shines when you are paying in a stationary manner, so pretty much only in defense missions.

If you really want to make Vortex more balanced, all you'd really need to do is make it move around, say it holds momentum from the throw, so it would slowly drift off in a single direction 

It would loose out on a bit of it's utility and therefore perceived OP-ness in defense missions, but as compensation it would become more useful in standard ones, and could give it new life as a more offensive skill

Nice. Added to OP. Still nasty, still gets full effect for full duration, but it couldn't just permanently cover a pod because it would move away and not get full duration sitting right there protecting the pod. If you wanted more time protecting the pod, you'd have to use positioning and timing to send it across the path of the enemies, which would at least bring the Vaubans down off their perches and into the fray.

Edited by VKhaun

If Vortex is designed to simulate a blackhole, why only make it suck for only a period of its effect? It should be sucking all the way.

And besides it does abysmal damage, it's sucking ability is it's best feature.

Edited by cozzi21

Well, I've certainly noticed how...easy and boring...ODD gets because of vortex and adjustments could be made. The biggest problem I have is that I'm not sure what changes could be made that WONT make vortex useless.

The closest thing I can find IS indeed a cap on how many it has sucked in. Vauban's biggest advantage with his abilities is the ability to spam all of them, despite being heavily influenced by Duration. A hard cap would perform the same job without breaking the game, and when things get rough you can spam the Vortex again.

Well, I've certainly noticed how...easy and boring...ODD gets because of vortex and adjustments could be made. The biggest problem I have is that I'm not sure what changes could be made that WONT make vortex useless.

The closest thing I can find IS indeed a cap on how many it has sucked in. Vauban's biggest advantage with his abilities is the ability to spam all of them, despite being heavily influenced by Duration. A hard cap would perform the same job without breaking the game, and when things get rough you can spam the Vortex again.

Then infested should be adjusted because they are the melee only faction making them extremely easy. Hydroid's puddle is a giante vortex and can last over 1 minuite, it's only con is that the enemies can only be damaged by hydroid.

The only thing about Vortex DE should nerf is the FPS drop. When I play infested defense I never use Vortex, Bastille all day. But maybe that's because I haven't gone all that far in defense for a while now, is Vortex an absolute must later? I don't think Vortex should be nerfed, Bastille does the same job a bit worse, but isn't that the point of the ultimate? The best of the best?

Vortex only really shines when you are paying in a stationary manner, so pretty much only in defense missions.

If you really want to make Vortex more balanced, all you'd really need to do is make it move around, say it holds momentum from the throw, so it would slowly drift off in a single direction 

It would loose out on a bit of it's utility and therefore perceived OP-ness in defense missions, but as compensation it would become more useful in standard ones, and could give it new life as a more offensive skill

Then infested should be adjusted because they are the melee only faction making them extremely easy. Hydroid's puddle is a giante vortex and can last over 1 minuite, it's only con is that the enemies can only be damaged by hydroid.

You're actually right, the bigger problem with ODD is the infested enemies, which have hilariously two-dimensional programming of "charge the target".

I could dig that idea.

You're actually right, the bigger problem with ODD is the infested enemies, which have hilariously two-dimensional programming of "charge the target".

Not entirely true. There are mechancis in there like Leapers stopping outside melee range and then tackling you, or infested ancient tentacle lashes. We just have so much range, defense and damage now that they really don't matter. A year ago I specifically wanted sword/pistol combos so I could shoot Leapers and stop getting knocked over. Today I hardly notice them.

No. End this thread at once. You're just provoking the inevitable but you're not suppose to tip them off! I LOVE MY BOOBEN! NOOOOOO!

Vortex in its current state breaks certain aspects of the game, and has limited use in others. 

I wouldn't be upset if it was changed so that it's utility was more balanced.

Instead of being godly in one and meh in the rest, I'd rather see it be great/good in any circumstance.

Nice. Added to OP. Still nasty, still gets full effect for full duration, but it couldn't just permanently cover a pod because it would move away and not get full duration sitting right there protecting the pod. If you wanted more time protecting the pod, you'd have to use positioning and timing to send it across the path of the enemies, which would at least bring the Vaubans down off their perches and into the fray.

Vortex in its current state breaks certain aspects of the game, and has limited use in others. 

I wouldn't be upset if it was changed so that it's utility was more balanced.

Instead of being godly in one and meh in the rest, I'd rather see it be great/good in any circumstance.

Good point. We do need more balance after all.

Edited by BecomeLikeWater