The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban Vortex Nerf

VKhaun

Nice. Added to OP. Still nasty, still gets full effect for full duration, but it couldn't just permanently cover a pod because it would move away and not get full duration sitting right there protecting the pod. If you wanted more time protecting the pod, you'd have to use positioning and timing to send it across the path of the enemies, which would at least bring the Vaubans down off their perches and into the fray.

Indeed, and it would mean that Vortex could also be used to pull a group of enemies away from a location, or to clear out a hallway/path.

In addition you could send it through a bastille to rip enemies out of it and deposit them elsewhere.

It would give Vortex a bit more usefullness outside of infested defense

Why does it need to be nerfed, its intended to be a utility not press 4 to win massive damage ability.

vortex... is a CC yes

but clumping a infinte of enemy into 1 area thats in ragdolled

a gun that has aoe or punch thro will screw every enemy in it so DE probably gonna "fix" that

utility? not as much as a area spammable CC

2 vortex in ODD 1 each side of pod GG 0 infected will ever touch the pod even if it was 99999999

Vortex's AOE and general effectivness aren't nearly great enough to warrant a nerf :|

You obviously haven't played too much ODD with Vaubans.

Vortex and the right loadout will let you solo to wave 60 without breaking a sweat.

You obviously haven't played too much ODD with Vaubans.

Vortex and the right loadout will let you solo to wave 60 without breaking a sweat.

You can do that without vortex too.  Hell, you can do that without vauban.

Edited by Aggh

technically a ogris or penta would have the same effect just stand up top and keep killing.

Reload times break that idea, after wave 50 a couple of toxic ancients take very little time to bring the pod's HP down.

Vortex lets you use them with impunity. 

Hence the Solo wave 60 without breaking a sweat.

As far as I'm concerned the 'does it need a nerf or not' conversation is moot.

Anything where people stand there and stare in a ninja game needs to go. Period.

Anything else that makes the game this boring just means that it needs to go too, not that Vortex or anything else is okay by association. If you can get to wave 60 firing rockets that are supposed to have FF right next to where Frank is sleeping and at zero risk, then that just means we need another swing of the nerf bat. 

Why not nerf everything? Because not everything reduces gameplay. Some things improve and add gameplay. Staring at a vortex or spamming invincible mode do not create or improve gameplay. They reduce it. Sixty5's suggestion improves and adds. Even more so than my original.

Edited by VKhaun

You're seriously asking for a vortex nerf? Vauban literally has one use, and that's to take on infested. It literally has no use other than that, on top of it being difficult to obtain without buying it directly from the market.

People should really stop complaining.

Bastille/Mind control/Radial blind/not having a S#&$ loadout.

Insert image of Scott adding to his "To Nerf" list.

Vortex has the advantage over all those other options of keeping wave speed up. Enemies get grouped up and killed in a single spot as fast as they can spawn. It is just a little too broken to stay as it is. 

Some moderate changes like making the Vortex move after casting (straight line from where thrown is my thinking) would balance it out. Sure you loose the OP ness in that situation, but a change like that brings extra utility in others.

Knee jerk NO reactions to any suggested nerf just goes to show that the person making them has no idea about how the balance of that item is working. A reasoned argument against that item being nerfed, or changed is far more enlightened.

Insert image of Scott adding to his "To Nerf" list.

Vortex has the advantage over all those other options of keeping wave speed up. Enemies get grouped up and killed in a single spot as fast as they can spawn. It is just a little too broken to stay as it is. 

Some moderate changes like making the Vortex move after casting (straight line from where thrown is my thinking) would balance it out. Sure you loose the OP ness in that situation, but a change like that brings extra utility in others.

Knee jerk NO reactions to any suggested nerf just goes to show that the person making them has no idea about how the balance of that item is working. A reasoned argument against that item being nerfed, or changed is far more enlightened.

Now I get it, you just want to nerf all utlity skills.

jKlPuCd.gif

So bladestorm and undertow? I agree.

Bladestorm depends. Scott keeps saying in devstreams that people should be moving away from damage and more towards utility as they go up. I'm fine with the press 4 and kill everything skills FOR LOWER LEVELS, because they help level frames and reduce grind/farm. If we get a bunch of new OP power strength mods then yes, Bladestorm and a lot of other IWIN buttons might need to go... rather see the power strength mods kept in check / nerfed than those abilities nerfed though.

Undertow shouldn't do damage, but it's primary role is gathering enemies up so you can then AoE them. This creates gameplay and I'm cool with it. I actually made a thread when it was new about how safe it was and that it shouldn't do damage, but Tempest Barrage spamming knockdowns is actually worse than Vortex in infested defense. Not sure why that hasn't caught on yet really. With narrow minded reducing the area, you can bombard the pod and keep everything on the ground permanently doing 0 damage and taking a lot more damage than Vortex deals, and for a very low power cost. I would nerf that before I'd nerf Undertow and frankly I'd nerf that before I'd nerf Vortex.

IMO of course.

Edited by VKhaun

Small AoE, abysmal damage, 100 energy cost. Enemies need to charge into vortex for more than 2 or 3 to be captured. The AoE doesn't even scale with mods.

It doesn't make me or my team effectively immortal.

It doesn't reflect or attract enemies bullets, it doesn't cause them to die in a spectacular display of light and bloom effects, or trick dozens of them into fighting one another.

And if I use a Penta/Ogris to clear out my traps, I can't stand too close, or I'll still murder myself. So of course I'll take the high ground. Those same Toxic Ancients caught in my trap could just as easily kill me with their auras.

And choke point clearing/s pretty easy with a Soma/Synapse/Phage/etc, etc with a bit of punch through. Or not, even.

So tell me again why my favorite physics-trolling ability needs a nerf?

Most utility powers need a nerf since all of them scales perfectly fine with enemies' level..

Whilst all damage powers need a buff since they can become useless at higher lvl mission...

Vice versa..

So yeah,

it's really hard to satisfy everyone..