Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Please] Give Us Melee Charging And Blocking On Gun Equip Back

blackstraykitten

I asked for this before but i think i made the wrong approach

so...

this is a petition to get blocking while in gun equip mode and melee charge attacks as an additional option in melee builds

• blocking any time possible was proved useful even before melee 2.0 so why does it require to be in melee equip just to be able to block now?
is it to give melee weapons importance?

are they not important before?

are there no people using blocking before that they had to be recognized by making it part of the changes of the new system?

• charge attacks are the core of heavy weapons so why is charging removed?
are heavy weapons too OP?
do you guys even care that heavy weapons are too weak now?
are fast light weapons to weak before?
is it not possible to just make charge an additional build option for melee weapons? (honestly the only builds that i see now are crit and non-crit builds/elementals, not alot of people sacrifice powers to make channeled hits)

these questions sounds like it only came from me but believe me guys its not just me
combos are cool
and so is blocking and charging
isnt it better to have more options in building? more variety?

PS: requiring to slash just so you could throw glaive is ridiculous.

Edited by blackstraykitten

No.

Blocking should not come back for use while holding a Primary/Secondary weapon, because it is extremely broken.  Specters prove it: I've watched them sit there blocking an entire clip of Amprex fire without receiving a single digit of damage because they had enough stamina.  We can do the same thing.

So no.  Make your choice: ranged combat, or the ability to block.  There's no little Mexican girl here to offer you both.

No.

Blocking should not come back for use while holding a Primary/Secondary weapon, because it is extremely broken.  Specters prove it: I've watched them sit there blocking an entire clip of Amprex fire without receiving a single digit of damage because they had enough stamina.  We can do the same thing.

So no.  Make your choice: ranged combat, or the ability to block.  There's no little Mexican girl here to offer you both.

And I guess you were too busy being annoying to consider that blocking with a primary/secondary could be given other properties? For example, no ability to deflect bullets but keeping the ability to block those annoying hits that knock you down?

And I guess you were too busy being annoying to consider that blocking with a primary/secondary could be given other properties? For example, no ability to deflect bullets but keeping the ability to block those annoying hits that knock you down?

That would be just as broken if not worse so.  Knockdown is an equalizer that you must learn to counter and deal with in other ways.

Charge Attacks were one of the biggest problems with Melee 1.0, and letting you use 2.0 melee blocks with the 1.0 block system would be hilariously OP.

Plus the whole "spontaneous sword from nowhere" thing never looked good to me...

No to both from me.

Edited by Fulmir

They also reduced the quick melee to a 2 hit combo while it was a 3 hit combo now it just feels stupid. way less variety in animation while using quick melee I think they should change that back 

well thanks for the blocking insights

we need more on charging tho,
think about all the combos you can do along with all these stance-given-combos if you could charge at will!
a new option in building these oh so weak now heavy weapons!
think about how you can throw that glaive without ridiculously doing a slash first!

also: why does second wind have to be changed to channeling?

You had me at thread title... 

I have key bound for blocking in hope of one day it would become more useful and then it did but I cannot use anymore.

The saddest part is that the specters can do it but I can't. TT____TT

I have key bound for blocking in hope of one day it would become more useful and then it did but I cannot use anymore.

they autoblock even without autoparry mod even when in gun equip

i envy them now

Spetres block by swapping to melee, same as you can.

Charge Attacks were one of the biggest problems with Melee 1.0

The problem was that, with old melee, you were better off using charge attacks because normal attacks on almost all weapons were not worth using. Now, normal attacks got a damage boost, some attacks that were single-target now hit multiple enemies, and some stances provide either multiple hits in an animation or a way to attack enemies from farther-than-normal distances.

What they could do, if people really feel so negative towards charge attacks, is to make it based on timing, where you have to release the charge attack at the right time for optimal damage. Let's say the galatine ended up having a charge attack dealing more that its old damage or something, maybe 1k damage, but required a 4 second charge time. If you released the charge too early or too late, you'll only do damage closer to normal attacks. If you get it at the right time, however, you deal the full charge damage instead.

This way, it'll prevent the spamming of charge attacks from before while rewarding well-timed hits with good damage.

Because they can issue an AI command of "switch to melee" while we have to hold the key down long enough for the program to register that it is a hold and not a press.

IE: it's programming.

Pretty much this. Honestly it's not a huge problem, the Specters are a dumb AI, so them having a few advantages isn't game-breaking. You can start blocking as soon as you swap to melee, they just swap faster and they swap to block so they start blocking the instant they can, so you never see the switch animation.

The problem was that, with old melee, you were better off using charge attacks because normal attacks on almost all weapons were not worth using. Now, normal attacks got a damage boost, some attacks that were single-target now hit multiple enemies, and some stances provide either multiple hits in an animation or a way to attack enemies from farther-than-normal distances.

What they could do, if people really feel so negative towards charge attacks, is to make it based on timing, where you have to release the charge attack at the right time for optimal damage. Let's say the galatine ended up having a charge attack dealing more that its old damage or something, maybe 1k damage, but required a 4 second charge time. If you released the charge too early or too late, you'll only do damage closer to normal attacks. If you get it at the right time, however, you deal the full charge damage instead.

This way, it'll prevent the spamming of charge attacks from before while rewarding well-timed hits with good damage.

Something like this turns melee into a golf-game though, as opposed to something that flows well and is fun to use. The whole big delay for big damage thing was the biggest problem with Charge Attacks anyway. They were fantastic if you were sure the enemy wasn't going to get a chance to hit back, but as soon as enemies got enough HP to survive the first hit they stopped working. With the new melee system you can move and dodge while still dealing damage so melee is much more viable and fun.

They definitely need to re-visit and re-balance several weapons and even a few entire categories, but that doesn't have to nor should it include the return of Charge Attacks.