Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First Person View?

Eike_Sky

As my last post seemed misplaced, I thought a new thread might be more appropriate.

Just joined the game last night, and everything looks amazing. My only real issue (other than at my low level the lack of bonus for headshots and stealth, but I'm willing to give that time to mature as my level rises) is the view. Its not just a problem I have with this game, but its much more noticeable, with one of the features being choosing your play style (I have in my mind "Dishonoured", "Thief", and the like), I find playing stealth with the third person view nearly impossible, as every time I hide behind something and aim around it, I find something behind me meaning I look at the back of my head, rather than anything useful. As I say, its a charicteristic of 3rd person, but when stealth is very much an encouraged ability, it riles me all the more.

Would it be going against what WarFrame's about to put an option for 1st or 3rd person mode in? Personally, I'd much prefer the first person view, even if all the UI remains the same. I just don't like looking at the back of my head. XD

Oh, and Hi! I'm new.....

Sliding, walljumping, wallrunning, ledge-climbing, flipping, sword-to-ground-thrust, sword spinning, etc.

This game has a lot more moves than other games where you need a good view of the character's body and actions. In addition the moves I highlighted would be pretty disorienting in first-person view, so I'm fine with third-person.

I'm not taking anything away from third person view. As you've all adequately highlighted, there would very much be cons to having it solely 1st person. I'm simply suggesting the option. Primarily, it opens up more of an audience who would otherwise say "3rd person; Meh." Without losing the original.

@Rydian: As per the skills you highlighted, Again, think Dishonoured, Mirrors Edge, both First Person, and yes, they have their moments, but equally, there are times when it pays to be looking from the eyes of the character. I really wish I paid more attention to other games outside of the racing genre now....

I've played games with options for both 1st person and third person and in said games I picked first because it was just a preference. however this does cripple you in a small way because it highly limits your fov and makes it very difficult for you to watch your own back. the option would be interesting but i think i've actually adjusted to third person enough that I might not even go for 1st person with the option. not that I disrespect others choice of using first person.

This game is a 3rd person action run and gun game. Want to make it a shooter, there is plenty of COD out there. But not on warframe, thank you..

Besides that. A first person view would just be a huge disadvantage since enemies come from all sides, teleport to you.... How can this be fun.... -.-

I would love to have the option... I want to do some forward front flips in first person. It would be dizzying and disorienting, but cool. Mirror's Edge to the extreme. lol

Different situations would benefit from one view over another, being able to toggle would be good.

I would love to have the option... I want to do some forward front flips in first person. It would be dizzying and disorienting, but cool. Mirror's Edge to the extreme. lol

Different situations would benefit from one view over another, being able to toggle would be good.

Tell me in which situation a first person view would have benefits? There are more disadvantages than benefits so why implement something so useless...

This game is a 3rd person action run and gun game. Want to make it a shooter, there is plenty of COD out there. But not on warframe, thank you..

Besides that. A first person view would just be a huge disadvantage since enemies come from all sides, teleport to you.... How can this be fun.... -.-

I don't play COD and never wish to. I have far too many complaints about that game. I also question your opinion of the game being a run and gun game. I played stealth through the first couple of levels quite successfully, never "running" unless it was because I was thought I'd forgotten something, or was lost.... So the freedom to play as you want is there, I'm simply suggesting another level to the individuality.

Hence why I would be against that kind of option. It creates a distinct advantage when being able to toggle. If you play one style over another, thats preference, but toggling could been seen to be gaining an unfair advantage... Hence why I'd put it in options. Choose your style and stick to it. lol.

Allowing first person view wouldn't be bad, it would allow for another form of enjoyment for many players and I would love to be able to play against infested in first person for most of the game except where I'd need to do wallrunnings and walljupings, but it's just a matter of switching. Still it would only put me at a disadvantage but it would be fun none the less, again just making it an option would be bad however there are more important things for the Devs to be focusing on right now.

You're describing like in Skyrim or Arma 2 you can switch from 1st to 3rd person.

I see what you mean when playing stealth - stealth assasination in 1st person is sick, wayyy better than 3rd. Plus since I'm a Skyrim fan, I love the toggle-view and prefer playing first person when chopping up people in half with swords, punching them into the wall, stealth kills, doing ninja stuff like in Mirrors edge and all that but..

I just don't see it working with the rest of Warframe's content. Plus you move alot in Warframe, unlike those games that I mentioned.

Playing 1st person on the fact of how fast-paced Warframe is, including the fact that you need to look around alot and quickly, will get you spewing.

I think a first person view would definitely add to the immersion a lot of players experience when they play a lot of first person games (I, for one, enjoy iron sights not for their function, but the immersion). It can probably be a function that's bindable to a key, much like you could do with the "thirdpersonshoulder" command in L4D, to allow for quickly switching between first and third person views.

Of course, the dev team has a lot on their plate right now, so it's highly unlikely that they'll do it any time soon, if ever.

Tell me in which situation a first person view would have benefits? There are more disadvantages than benefits so why implement something so useless...

Off the top of my head? Sniping/long range

I'd rather use the Paris in first person for trick shots also.

Hence why I would be against that kind of option. It creates a distinct advantage when being able to toggle. If you play one style over another, thats preference, but toggling could been seen to be gaining an unfair advantage... Hence why I'd put it in options. Choose your style and stick to it. lol.

How is it unfair...if everyone can do it and there are pros and cons to both views? How is it unfair to allow players to play how they like? Seems silly to me. I can toggle between views in a few games, Tribes Ascend off the top of my head, but I still prefer first person.

Game companies have taken the third person gimmick too far in many cases and alienate a lot of PC gamers with it. It used to be cool to see yourself doing things...now its just plain annoying to have to adjust my aim due to poor perspective of it and having to toggle shoulder views. Freedom of choice, power to the players!

I think it would be best if the game transitioned from 3rd person to 1st person when you aim, some kind of hybrid.

You wouldn't loose all the advantages the 3rd person view has while you platform (ie wallrun, flip, roll, ect), but you'd gain that extra immersion while you aim with your sights. You also avoid the issue of thinking the line of sight is clear but your bullet hits something that's in the real line of sight of your warframe (quite annoying when you try to snipe from behind anything), or that problem that comes when you try to aim with a wall behind you and your head becomes huge and won't let you see anything.

...but toggling could been seen to be gaining an unfair advantage...
Unfair Advantage compared to who, other players? This isn't a pvp game. Compared to AI? They aren't smart enough to compare.

I'm normally and FPS guy myself but I decided to give this game a shot knowing it was 3rd person. I'm glad I did ;)

First person in this game tho would just not work with all the wall running and combat system we have here. I accept that and got used to the 3rd person view. This game isnt really about stealth... it just doesnt work without having to spend ages on the same level. Hopefully that will change in time seems we are still in beta as yet :p

Plus 3rd person is bettter for stealth seems you can see round corners without having to pop out and risk getting seen.

Off the top of my head? Sniping/long range

I'd rather use the Paris in first person for trick shots also.

You can do the same trickshots with the 3rd person. What you cant see in 3rd person, you wont be able to see in 1st person. the camera goes close enough if you stand before something. A first person is simply not necessary..... It would only be luxury we actually dont need.....

Edited by Venarge

This is why http://www.youtube.c...e=youtube_gdata

I not the best video highlighting it i now, but i quicky captured a couple of examples of why a fps mode is not useless.

edit: yeah its just a Crate, but you miss enemies point blank and fire into walls all the time. An option to toggle first person or toggle first person on aim would definatly have its benefits.

Edited by MofineBovine