The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

3 Crashes In A Row Last Night & Laptop Incredibly Hot

HurricaneBones

Hi there,

Last night, the game froze 3 times :

- 2 times in the star map section

- 1 time at wave 35 on sechura ( x_x )

I never saw my computer so hot. (really i could have cooked an egg on it)

I have an alienware M17x with :

Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M

8 192 Mo  DDR3 SDRAM

Windows® 7 64bit

We cannot say i have a low configuration... 

But warframe has always made ma laptop suffering, fan at max speed, hot... (if you have any explanation i'l take it too) diablo 3 or crysis at full res never did the same to my computer

Do have any idea how to fix this ?

Check your laptop's fan, your drivers, graphics drivers' settings, power settings (max CPU state, cooling policy), monitor background usage.

Try disabling all bells and whistles from Warframe (including DX11 and 64 bit) and re-enable them one by one and try to pinpoint the problem, if it is indeed with the software.

The 2012 and below version? AFAIK, Alienware is always notorious with bad air cooling route (dunno with the new one), and if you happened to rarely cleaned the air passage and heatsink (or more, blocked it unintentionally), voila! Portable stove!

Try to blow cold compressed air to heatsink (go in slow burst to lessen the force), then turn it on for a while until all the dust were blown away.

the massive heat generation in Warframe could very well be due to an unnecessary Framerate. toggle on the Framerate tracking option and monitor your Framerate when you go to 'problem areas'. loading screens are probably reaching 4 digit Framerates, and the menu could be high 3 digits. 

a simple solution can be to enable VSync, however some users highly dislike the Input Delay that results from this, so it's not a good option for everyone.

if you are one of those people, here's an outline of how to use Nvidia Inspector to set Driver level Framerate caps. 

alternatively, if you don't like VSync - personally to me, the Input Delay VSync adds is one of the circles of hell - you can set a Framerate Cap.

Nvidia Inspector has complete control over Driver level settings, so you can set a much more reasonable Framerate Cap, instead of the menu running at upwards of 600FPS :p

(if you want a little bit of direction with the application, as it does have a lot of feature control - once the application is running, click the wrench icon to the right of the Driver Version box;

once there, at the top, type in Warframe, and choose the Warframe profile. create one with the sun shaped icon if Warframe doesn't exist already. it probably does already exist though, and will automatically tie the application executables in. you can tie in more of them if you'd like, though. once you have a profile selected, there is a window shaped icon with a + and an X for adding or removing executables to the profile. choose any and all you want, preferably tying both Warframes' 32 and 64-bit Executables, just to be safe;

now, for a Framerate Cap, there should be an entry called 'Frame Rate Limiter' in the 'Common' section. set it to whatever you please, there's a good number of options - and make sure to click apply changes at the top right;

close both windows, they don't need to be open at all times, it just edits Driver settings, and now when you run Warframe, the Framerate will be capped, without turning on VSync).

Try to blow cold compressed air to heatsink (go in slow burst to lessen the force), then turn it on for a while until all the dust were blown away.

and remember the most important factor. wait atleast 90 minutes before turning the device on again. preferably remove the battery before dusting, and wait atleast 180 minutes. (exact times may vary based on altitude, humidity, and air circulation of the surrounding room, hence the very generous 180 minute recommendation).

Air Compressors get great pressure for the needs here, but the compression and decompression process causes the moisture in the air to condense into physical water. if that's still around when you try to power the device, generally that results in cooking something.

factory canned air for use of cleaning electronics is a good dry alternative - however, these cans only get to ~30PSI, and is really insufficient for a thorough cleaning. 
Edited by taiiat

I love how no-one considers it could be the game at fault.

Don't worry OP - I've been getting shoddy preformance too. Try enabling runtime tesselation in DX11 mode and see if that helps a bit. Also while you're at it, check you're running the x64 version of the game and not the 32-bit one. You can change modes and direct x versions via the launchers options window.

EDIT: Oh and you might want to look into some kind of fps management. Something like MSI afterburner and it's Statistics Server so you can limit the game's rampant framerate in menu's without having to resort to Vsync.

Edited by 11.11.11