Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

D Polarity In Cold Element Mods

Proteuse

Hello.

So, i started this topic to kind of get to know what are people's opinions on the Defensive polarity on the cold element mods. Personally, i think it's a nuisance, since i can't make certain builds with forma because of that polarity. Why did DE even make cold have a D polarity anyways? One can say that slows are defensive in a way, but then why does Ice Storm have a V polarity then? Why does Hammer Shot have a D polarity when it has +Crit Damage and +Status Chance? That seems pretty offensive to me.

Please, keep the D and V jokes to a minimum '-'

Thanks for reading!

It is a holdover from the old damage system where it made a bit more sense.  Not perfect sense but better than it does now.

But still, it wouldn't hurt to change the polarity to a Tactical (-) one. Except for the people who already modded it, but i'm almost certain no one does that.

Damn.

I really don't take advantage of the polarity. I'll just polarize it for a different polarity that I will find useful. 

For example, i use 2 element combos on the Latron Prime and the basic crit mods. I can't do Corrosive + Cold for Void with it, because even with formas, i can't fill everything in, because of the D polarity. So i have to resort to Corrosive and Heat, which isn't bad, it's actually pretty good for the Heavy Gunners. But my point remains. 

Death to the D polarities on cold >:(

I never really understood why there was a D on the cold mods.

But I've forma'd quite a few weapons with a D, with a ice mod installed in such slot. If they changed it, I'd be pretty annoyed.

That's a bummer, but maybe DE could refund some formas or give you the chance to change the polarities. There are some things DE can't do because of the fact that people have "compromised" to something. For example, removing Serration and making weapons scale their damage as they level up. Imagine the hordes of people that would complain about that.

In what sense? Not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand how it made sense back then either.

Actually i'm not sure either, but I remember once I was dedicated to the Dual Zoren I asked why it came with a D polarity and what actual benefit that was.  I don't recall all of the responses but several tried to explain why it was very good and underrated and they got lots of likes so I just kinda accepted it.

But fully agree it should have been changed or weapon mods, especially melee need a re-vamp of the polarities.  If DE could do something like free polarity moves based the number of forma you've used it would be ok.

The D polarity is indeed a holdover from Damage 1.0 where the cold application was 100% meaning things you hit were slowed - A huge defensive boost.

Now that it's a proc for the cold damage, it's much less defensive BUT the D still comes in handy, due to it being one of the only useful D polarity mods for weapons that have innate D polarities - For example the Boltor Prime and most melee weapons.

The thing I don't understand is why Cryo Rounds costs 9 and give 90% damage, while Deep Freeze is 9 and gives 60% and North Wind is 11 and gives 60%

It just doesn't make sense that one is on par with the damage others gets at a lower cost, one is a lower cost and gives less damage and the other costs the same but gives lower damage...

Fang Prime, Dragon Nikana and Boltor Prime are examples of weapons with Defense polarities in them and almost every build i've seen (except for the Nikana, some people use Life Strike), they have removed the D polarity and put in a V or a - polarity.

General consensus is that D polarities are of little to no use (I know, Redirection, Vitality, etc are still excelent D polarized mods), since only a handful of mods have a D polarity.

Edited by Proteuse

Fang Prime, Dragon Nikana and Boltor Prime are examples of weapons with Defense polarities in them and almost every build i've seen (except for the Nikana, some people use Life Strike), they have removed the D polarity and put in a V or a - polarity.

General consensus is that D polarities are of little to no use (I know, Redirection, Vitality, etc are still excelent D polarized mods), since only a handful of mods have a D polarity.

Eh. You can use the D to build your Fang Prime with Magnetic Damage. It's not like the thing has a high enough crit rate to do anything but a rainbow build. Now your Fang Prime - already a great anti-armor weapon, is also an anti-shield weapon. 

Eh. You can use the D to build your Fang Prime with Magnetic Damage. It's not like the thing has a high enough crit rate to do anything but a rainbow build. Now your Fang Prime - already a great anti-armor weapon, is also an anti-shield weapon. 

I also use the same Fang Prime for Void and Grineer :O