Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts About A Mastery Part Deux (Regards Exclusivity And Milestones)

Zaresin

As we have seen from numerous posts that many newer players have made in regards to weapons that are no longer obtainable whether they be from beta, founders, events or just plain ol removed from the game, one thing that has tied those posts together is mastery or the loss there of.

Now some number cruncher (bless his bored soul) calculated that we would need roughly ten years to reach mastery rank 30 at the current progress of weapons being released.  EEk...10 years.  Ok digest that.

Mastery "currently" really only effects mining drones and up to a certain point the kind of weapons you can use.  There is really no real use for mastery.  We have been told about a focus system that will utilize mastery rank wherein the rank you are in mastery denotes the number of "skill points" available to use.  Neat system ehh? 

Well we have a problem, with exclusive items no matter how obtained, any newer players will always be at a disadvantage no matter what (until we hit that 10 year mark) due to those items either never coming back, not be obtainable or otherwise.  

My offered Solution:

Rework the Mastery System.  To be honest, all exclusives should not count towards mastery unless they came back into the game similar to how the Brakk and the Detron made a return.  At that point can they count towards mastery.  This way no matter if you started 2 years ago or 2 years from now, each player has the same opportunity to reach the same functionality within the game and equal effort is placed into attaining those ranks.  

Another thing is give mastery ranks meaning again outside of the focus system.  The weapons we currently have should have been placed into tiers corresponding to weapons and after a point (as sooner or later it will have become redundant to make a mastery rank 22 weapon [talk about op]) have them be cosmetics.  Treat the mastery system as a milestone system so we can be proud to reach those levels.  

For those individuals that are on the line where if they lost a mastery rank due to the rework and they have those weapons built already, they do not lose the ability to use those weapons unless destroyed before regaining that rank.

(Possible idea for non obtainable gear have them always at rank 30 unless forma'd, this includes founders/beta/event exclusives until a such time that they come back and their rank reset to start adding to the mastery rank or have it be retroactive)

What do you as players think about how mastery works?  If you have a different idea on how to fix this mess please feel free to leave a comment below with ideas. 

(FYI...this is not an "I want founders gear" thread, please refer to this thread if you want to comment on that can of worms  https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/241813-thoughts-on-releasing-the-aklato-prime-and-dual-skana-prime-please-be-civil-and-constructive/

Edited by Zaresin

You want to take away my mastery?  Why?  What have I done to you?  What difference does my Mastery 16 make to you?  Please reply with actual current points and not supposition about future gameplay in which we have zero idea what difference it will make.

I just don't understand why people are always talking about mastery, who gives a F*** about these numbers, we just need them to weapons ? But I'm ok for a rework of the mastery rank needed by the weapons.

EDIT for clarity: actually everybody can be mastery rank 15 in 2 weeks, and mastery rank is no more a mark of skilled players.

Also, the way mastery work is a bit boring for players who don't enjoy using wepons they don't like (I just hate sentinels).

I suggest a total rework of the mastery, wich will be ased on the skills of the players, and not on their ability to stay 1/2 hour in sechura

Edited by koolen

You want to take away my mastery?  Why?  What have I done to you?  What difference does my Mastery 16 make to you?  Please reply with actual current points and not supposition about future gameplay in which we have zero idea what difference it will make.

Currently mastery means very little but will always be a major point of contention especially as we have newer players entering the game (wave at xbone players).  There will always be that inequality no matter when someone started playing.  My suggestion removes that and allows ALL players to reach that max current attainable rank while keeping the same effort required across the board.  Not to mention if they made the mastery system a milestone system when the hubs come out wouldn't you like to have some cosmetic gear that not many other players have till they reach that rank and unlock it?  

Again, I say that, instead of removing mastery rank from players, DE needs to add new ways of obtaining mastery rank outside of maxing out weapons and frames. You shouldn't be required to play every single piece of content in the game to gain mastery. That does not indicate any sort of mastery of warframe.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Again, I say that, instead of removing mastery rank from players, DE needs to add new ways of obtaining mastery rank outside of maxing out weapons and frames. You shouldn't be required to play every single piece of content in the game to gain mastery. That does not indicate any sort of mastery of warframe.

I agree with you...but not many ways about going about added to ways to get mastery currently.  With future updates I can see ways they can go about adding ways (the ship for instance) but the main ways will prob always be weapons/frames/pets.

Alternatively they could just give the mastery that exclusive items provide to new/existing players.

Would probably have to be something sold in the shop for a marginal amount of credits or whatever so it doens't confuse new players since it might put them immediately into rank 2.

I agree with you...but not many ways about going about added to ways to get mastery currently.  With future updates I can see ways they can go about adding ways (the ship for instance) but the main ways will prob always be weapons/frames/pets.

There are other ways. How many of a certain mission type you participate in. How many revives you get. How many kills you get. How many melee kills you get. How many kills your sentinel gets. How many interception points you capture. How many points you get in survival. How many stealth kills you get. Some people might not like those ways, but there are plenty of more traditional ways of leveling up that could also just straight up count for mastery rank.

There are other ways. How many of a certain mission type you participate in. How many revives you get. How many kills you get. How many melee kills you get. How many kills your sentinel gets. How many interception points you capture. How many points you get in survival. How many stealth kills you get. Some people might not like those ways, but there are plenty of more traditional ways of leveling up that could also just straight up count for mastery rank.

That is an interesting take on it, would it be a 1:1 exchange however?  Would mean a bit more grinding as I think I could level a weapon faster than I would be able to get the same mastery xp from doing what you suggest, but it is an interesting idea. 

That is an interesting take on it, would it be a 1:1 exchange however?  Would mean a bit more grinding as I think I could level a weapon faster than I would be able to get the same mastery xp from doing what you suggest, but it is an interesting idea. 

Well, in addition to all that, you could up how many mastery points a weapon gives... I mean, those suggestions would mean that you don't have to get every single item in the game to gain mastery. They could even give you mastery points for how many hours you've logged playing the game. There are better ways that requiring that you get every single item in the game to rank up your mastery.

Well, in addition to all that, you could up how many mastery points a weapon gives... I mean, those suggestions would mean that you don't have to get every single item in the game to gain mastery. They could even give you mastery points for how many hours you've logged playing the game. There are better ways that requiring that you get every single item in the game to rank up your mastery.

There are several melee weapons I dread leveling as that is about all I have left to level to 30....oh and the spectra.....shudders.  I like your idea...keep the ideas coming.

my only problem with time based mastery may lead to people just afking

not that they don't now but worse....

I'm fine with mastery as it is now, it's nothing more than just a way to show off how old of a player you are in the game, as long as they don't tie OP weapons to mastery ranks as high as 20 or so, even new players should have nothing to worry about

I'm fine with mastery as it is now, it's nothing more than just a way to show off how old of a player you are in the game, as long as they don't tie OP weapons to mastery ranks as high as 20 or so, even new players should have nothing to worry about

The point he is trying to make is that with Focus mastery actually will give a numerical advantage to having it higher...

The point he is trying to make is that with Focus mastery actually will give a numerical advantage to having it higher...

And to be honest I really dread seeing those chat posts in the LFM section:  LF "frame" must be M16...we all know it will happen.  So making it so everyone can reach the top current rank is better than only certain ones cause to a new player....THAT is a slap in the face.

Edited by Zaresin

Another way for mastery to be reworked is to have your weapons always contribute to mastery rank as we all have weapons that we love playing with and would rather play with them rather than some of the more...sadder of the bunch.  

What suggestions of areas do you as players want to see effect mastery?  No idea is off the mark.  This is a place to get our thoughts expressed and for DE to get ideas on what they can do better with the system already in place.  

I'm already loving this thread much more than that "fix" thread. And yes, you could use your favorite weapons or frame, and the XP gained during missions would also contribute to mastery rank.

Now, we just need to get DE looking at this.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

I'm already loving this thread much more than that "fix" thread. And yes, you could use your favorite weapons or frame, and the XP gained during missions would also contribute to mastery rank.

Now, we just need to get DE looking at this.

If items always gave a contribution to mastery it would give DE an incentive to go back and look at under-performing weapons and give them a more clear idea on what weapons need a little help.  I'm open to more ways for mastery coming into play and effecting the game.  I think the more ways we have to obtain mastery the more even playing field we have as players.

And sometimes the best way to get DE's input on the matter is to just forward them the link to the thread.

Edited by Zaresin