The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Intrinsic Vs Extrinsic Motivation In Warframe

notlamprey

I'm on a roll today, so I want to ask the community about their motivations in Warframe.

Mainly, how is the game doing for you?

Do you find yourself playing just for the fun of whatever content you're playing, or do you think you're spending too much time slogging through nonsense just because you want that stupid drop already?

I'm talking about Intrinsic (fun on its own) versus Extrinsic (it kinda sucks, but think of the rewards!) motivation. I'm making this thread because I want our community to be a little better educated about this stuff, and because we might get good feedback out of asking the question.

Once again, the folks at Extra Credits have said some good word about stuff.

See if you can internally rate your motivation when playing Warframe (Pre-U14 only) on a scale from 1 (Suit XP again? Right, logging off.) to 10 (just give me another thousand enemies to kill already!), with 1 being totally Extrinsic and 10 being totally Intrinsic.

Right now, I feel like Pre-U14 content is sitting somewhere around a 3 for me. I rarely do anything except for the promise of a reward. Leveling new weapons and Warframes is fun, but only in small amounts. Bear in mind, I have hundreds of hours logged in-game, so I'm probably a bit biased.

I play the game and only periodically interrupt my fun with a bout of farming (3 missions). If I fail to find whatever it is I want, I go back to playing.

I'm a filthy casual.

That's cool with me, man. The only reason I wound up with so many hours played is because I spent a long time in "fun for its own sake" territory.

Probably 3.  Spamming 4 does not do much in the way of making gameplay complex and engaging.

Designing our enemies for Counter Play might help with making gameplay more complex and engaging.

please go talk about that in the Counter Play thread #shamelessplugging

Designing our enemies for Counter Play might help with making gameplay more complex and engaging.

please go talk about that in the Counter Play thread #shamelessplugging

Dunno what to say other than what has been said 1000 times, but I'll give it a go

I have to say 5. I am, at heart, a collector, and nothing is more beautiful to me than seeing EVERY prime weapon or frame in my inventory. Sometimes I "dress up" in my prime stuff and flaunt it on easy missions while I pick up some needed resources. But at the same time I enjoy the combat too. Often times I will pick one of my old weapons back up, go solo, and turn my HUD off. Then I get to experience gameplay that is peaceful and nice, even as grineer body parts and blood covers every exposed surface in sight. 

Edited by Liverslices

Do you find yourself playing just for the fun of whatever content you're playing, or do you think you're spending too much time slogging through nonsense just because you want that stupid drop already?

I always play solely for fun. If a game offers me something that I'm not interested in, I will ignore it. If a game tries to force me into doing things I'm not interested in doing, I will look for another game.

Warframe is still fun for me, but a lot of the fun I have comes from my own interest in adapting to new things and trying to do the same thing in different ways. The fact that I don't ever rush through content has also ensured that the game always has content I have never touched.