Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Breeding Grounds - Investigation On An Infested Ship

Casardis

This is a random story-thing I did just to showcase my first visit to the Breeding Grounds. I went solo in order to go as slow as I can, checking every corner to find interesting stuff.

The "investigation" is mostly an excuse for me to post pictures, that's all. The text is nothing special, just to accompany the pictures, since the pictures' purpose is to show my appreciation for the new tileset indirectly.

In terms of story, it takes place before the actual operation, sent by the Lotus to all Tenno, began. This Saryn Tenno would be one among many who found the rapidly-growing infested ships and eventually reported the urgency of the issue to the Lotus.

Lotus,

This is Saryn, from Team Casardis. I've intercepted an unusual distress signal from a Corpus ship, but it quickly went silent. Fortunately enough, I've tracked it down, but when I arrived at the scene, all the crewmen I found there were already deceased.

osV4jGB.jpg

The ship was torn apart by enormous infested sinews, which likely killed the crewmen through asphyxiation. Even so, the door was just a few steps away, and they could have survived if they walked through. I believe the crewmen chose to die outside of the ship, instead of meeting what may lie beyond.

p9YSnSz.jpg

The infested materials didn't feel like the usual ones we deal with regularly, not even the Derelict's. I took a closer look, and it's as I suspected. The sinew isn't just spreading and crushing the ship; it's actually devouring it and transforming its very nature into a living, infested organism.

psuDuU6.jpg

The damage done seems very recent, and yet it's already spread so far. If this was unleashed on a colony, it might be able to assimilate it in matter of days.

wEPXqG0.jpg

The infestation wouldn't have adapted in such an abrupt way, so my suspicion was directed back to a previous event we encountered. Indeed, after listening to a surviving crewman, it was clear: Alad V's the one responsible yet again. Unfortunately, the crewman was beyond saving, so I gave him a quick death, against his will.

q03gizD.jpg

Helios couldn't make up anything from scanning the sinew. I've noticed the largest growths seem to lead to specific areas of the ship, maybe spreading from there, so I went deeper. As I progressed, it almost felt like I was being devoured by the ship itself.

hLhjbY5.jpg

14jgvEo.jpg

DajHAcz.jpg

Following the trail-like growths, I discovered the sources. These "hives" are the cause of the infestation, so I had to destroy them. Unfortunately, they were protected by a barrier. It could be a direct effect of non-organic infested mutation from the ship, since it's similar to Corpus force fields.

3BeJgee.jpg

1pwcoNp.jpg

Around the hive, large glowing "tumors" could be found. Destroying them weakened the force field, so I must find all of them before taking care of the main source.

kjgaNAf.jpg

L0GKhp1.jpg

I managed to destroy the hive, but I made sure to collect some samples to study. They are most likely Alad V's newly engineered infested organism, so it's best we discover how they work to mutate even non-organics.

g0GYQ5t.jpg

Destroying the hives caused a lot of disturbance in the ship, and activated unstable infested "systems," such as electrical beams coming out of tendrils. I also attracted a lot of resistance from the swarm by doing so, but it doesn't matter, as long as the hives are eradicated. If they come to me, I won't let a single one leave.

VPYrvfJ.jpg

w7Ef1cv.jpg

I was heading to extraction, after destroying the final hive, but as I walked out of the door, I had the feeling the ship itself was roaring, through the silence of space, as if it was calling to something. Obviously, there has to be more out there, but that thought is still unsettling.

j42DOOK.jpg

3scoj9V.jpg

Lotus,

I admit I cannot rest easy even with what I've accomplished here. We must keep investigating this sector of Eris and find other ships. Go through this recording again if needed, but please send the message to all Tenno. We must act, now.

wVqDg8Z.jpg

Edited by Casardis

This is great! I kinda' wanted to do something like this with all the screenshots I took, but I'm too lazy.

But this isn't 'bout me! I really like the entries for each of the pictures, it is really interesting to see people take in maps as stories and interpret it differently, or at least create their own.

This is great! I kinda' wanted to do something like this with all the screenshots I took, but I'm too lazy.

But this isn't 'bout me! I really like the entries for each of the pictures, it is really interesting to see people take in maps as stories and interpret it differently, or at least create their own.

Thanks a lot~ Laziness can really take the best of us sometimes XD I actually wanted to take more pictures of some tilesets that weren't seen in this mission, but yeah, I preferred sticking to my first experience.

Impressive, how did you remove the HUD?

By default, F6 is the game's built-in screenshot system, which will save screenshots in the My Pictures > Warframe directory.

Knowing that, you can go to the options > HUD > UI in Screenshots --> OFF

When you'll be taking screenshot by pressing F6, they won't have the HUD.

One thing to note that in areas where there is a lack of air, the floating crates and stuff are not moving (whereas in real life, it will move around quite a bit). Maybe the Infested mass has its own gravitational field strong enough to hold them still?

One thing to note that in areas where there is a lack of air, the floating crates and stuff are not moving (whereas in real life, it will move around quite a bit). Maybe the Infested mass has its own gravitational field strong enough to hold them still?

Actually, It will only move around if there's a force that makes it accelerate, or had made it accelerate in the first place. If there's no force that pushed it in the vacuum of space, or if another force of the opposite direction had neutralized its initial speed, there's no reason for it to move around. I do think, however, making more of them move, or at least turn/rotate around the same area would make the scene slightly more dynamic.

Actually, It will only move around if there's a force that makes it accelerate, or had made it accelerate in the first place. If there's no force that pushed it in the vacuum of space, or if another force of the opposite direction had neutralized its initial speed, there's no reason for it to move around. I do think, however, making more of them move, or at least turn/rotate around the same area would make the scene slightly more dynamic.

But then again, the Infested managed to destroy that portion of the ship, meaning that there is force (i.e. there is acceleration since mass > 0) acting upon that portion and in extension, the objects. 

And it is very unlikely that another force of the opposite direction has the exact same magnitude, causing the object to stop accelerating, thus my reasoning into believing that the Infested mass has a strong gravitational field.