Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which One Amprex Or Synapse, Taking New Changes Into Account?

deth_monkey69

Question

20 answers to this question

Compliment your frame, as a rule of thumb.

Ex; Loki with radial disarm to group your enemies? Amprex

Personal opinion? I have both with 6 forma, my Synapse is catching dust.

Amprex with Viral or Corrosive makes groups of enemies easier and easier to kill due to the proc rate.

Edited by (PS4)StoneRevolver

Honestly, from what I've seen, Amprex is almost as good as the Synapse for single-target damage, aside from the fact that it runs out of ammo s'darn quickly. Once you've got more than one enemy, however, the Amprex most definitely wins over the Synapse damage-wise.

Generally, the Amprex is better than the Synapse. Not quite "strictly better," but the difference in power is statistically pretty significant. Then again, I'm an avid Amprex user, while I haven't gotten the Synapse yet, so I do have a bit of bias in the matter. Regardless, the above points are from a pure statistical point of view, so I promise they aren't as biased as I am.

Honestly, from what I've seen, Amprex is almost as good as the Synapse for single-target damage, aside from the fact that it runs out of ammo s'darn quickly. Once you've got more than one enemy, however, the Amprex most definitely wins over the Synapse damage-wise.

Generally, the Amprex is better than the Synapse. Not quite "strictly better," but the difference in power is statistically pretty significant. Then again, I'm an avid Amprex user, while I haven't gotten the Synapse yet, so I do have a bit of bias in the matter. Regardless, the above points are from a pure statistical point of view, so I promise they aren't as biased as I am.

Statistically, the pure damage of the Amprex is less than the Synapse, yet having just two enemies receive a proc from the Amprex is enough to count it as a higher DPS.

Amprex spends more time reloading, and has a longer reload. That makes a pretty big difference when it comes to overall sustain damage.

Having used and forma'd both to max, I don't have much of a preference. I slightly prefer the Synapse for its ammo economy, though.

Statistically, the pure damage of the Amprex is less than the Synapse, yet having just two enemies receive a proc from the Amprex is enough to count it as a higher DPS.

You sure? Just from the base damage, the Synapse does 12 damage at a firing rate of 10.0, so for simplicity's sake, we can say that its effective base damage is 120. Meanwhile, the Amprex does 7.5 damage at a firing rate of 20.0, for an effective damage of 150. This is all just one target.

If you're talking about reloading, that's another story. As Noble said, the Amprex has a longer reload, and it eats through ammo so quickly that the time it spends reloading is noticeably more than the Synapse, and if you're simply aiming at a single target for the whole time, then the Synapse would probably win overall. I usually don't count reload times because for the most part, I find it more helpful to reload on the run anyways.

So yes, the Synapse wins over long-term sustained single-target damage, but I'm fairly sure that the Amprex wins out in single-target DPS.

The only thing the Amprex wins for single target is Burst DPS. I checked with Warframe Builder and threw the same build together for each weapon. Infected Clip, Point Strike, Split Chamber, High Voltage, Serration, Vital Sense, Stormbringer, and Malignant Force.

Synapse: 1384.63 total damage, 13846.30 burst dps, 12040.26 sustained dps

Amprex: 830.78 total damage, 16615.60 burst dps, 10789.35 sustained dps

I suppose if you can reload between encounters, you can win on the Synapse, but the same can be said about reloading the Synapse, and it has a much higher reliability. The Amprex was really built around crowds.

-snip-

Okay, yeah, those calculations are pretty close to what I expected. Mind you, I don't build the Amprex around max DPS anyways (though I do use Heavy Caliber, I slap on dual stat mods for that awesome proc chance) and I'll admit that it's much more suited to CC than single-target damage. The damage against single targets, regardless, is still fairly comparable, while the Synapse lacks the CC that the Amprex has entirely.

I love the phage, is the Synapse closer to the phage as far as style? 

Style? If you're talking about the look of the weapon, the Synapse and Phage are both infested, so artistically, they're... well, closer at least. The Phage's mechanics are too different to really compare it to either the Synapse or Amprex, aside from the fact that the Phage has a range limit like the Amprex does, and similarly works with proccing.

That's about where the similarities end, though. The Phage's crit chance is terrible, and shotguns work differently than regular rifles as far as mods go. Also, you're missing out on red crits with the Phage. On the other hand, innate Viral damage is wicked awesome.

I like the Phage but I wouldn't really say it feels like the Amprex, and from what I've seen, it isn't much like the Synapse either.

Depends what you're fighting too. If you're doing Void, you're probably using Corrosive, so the proc is nice but not amazing, and no CC. If you're running 4x CP auras you're using Viral+Electric so now its much more useful.

Something else to consider - the ammo consumption on Amprex is INSANE. You'll be dropping ammo restores behind you like breadcrumbs. And if you install the Ammo Mut mod, the damage drops down way below Synapse. You can even install Speed Trigger on the Synapse if you're willing to drop ammo restores; try dropping it on the Amprex and you'll be crying

Increased RoF also means more wasted ammo from misses, more wasted ammo from overkill, and a lower firing:reloading ratio so more reloading.

The AoE is nice, but not amazing. You can only ever deal half of your targets health as damage to surrounding enemies, so unless there's a heavy in the group you end up having to target each enemy regardless. So its not as effective as an AoE weapon as something like the Ignis or Penta, which deals full damage to each target.

I played around with a variety of builds with Amprex while dropping all the forma in, and I've reached the conclusion it's much better as a status weapon than as straight up damage. Build it with a couple event mods and save some forma, while building the Synapse with the 90% elementals and use it for taking out heavies.

-snip-

Something else to consider - the ammo consumption on Amprex is INSANE. You'll be dropping ammo restores behind you like breadcrumbs. And if you install the Ammo Mut mod, the damage drops down way below Synapse. You can even install Speed Trigger on the Synapse if you're willing to drop ammo restores; try dropping it on the Amprex and you'll be crying

Increased RoF also means more wasted ammo from misses, more wasted ammo from overkill, and a lower firing:reloading ratio so more reloading.

The thing about the Amprex is that you should be using it against crowds, so you really shouldn't be missing your shots. The same goes for overkill- after something dies, you shouldn't be wasting any time before aiming to the guy next to him. There's more ammo wasted on those rare occasions, yes, but it really shouldn't be that significant in the long run. Then again, you'll have to be using ammo restores anyways unless you're extremely ammo savvy. I do well without Ammo Mutation, but I find it to be pretty difficult to manage, so I have to agree that ammo consumption is one of the biggest dividers between the Synapse and Amprex.

-snip-

The AoE is nice, but not amazing. You can only ever deal half of your targets health as damage to surrounding enemies, so unless there's a heavy in the group you end up having to target each enemy regardless. So its not as effective as an AoE weapon as something like the Ignis or Penta, which deals full damage to each target.

-snip-

In the Void, I tend to find at least one or two Heavy Gunners in each group of enemies, or at least an Eximus or two. The same goes for higher-level missions for the other factions, too- so most of the time, there's someone to concentrate the fire on. After they're dead and the group is more or less dispersed, I'd just take out my Secondary instead of worrying about targeting each one individually.

What you are really weighing here is, between Amprex and Synapse:

Amprex:

Ability to chain multiple targets

Double the status chance

Synapse:

1.5x base damage compared to Amprex

So just ask yourself which would you rather have.

What you are really weighing here is, between Amprex and Synapse:

Amprex:

Ability to chain multiple targets

Double the status chance

Synapse:

1.5x base damage compared to Amprex

So just ask yourself which would you rather have.

You do realize the Amprex has more sustained dps and burst dps even with it's reloads? The only thing the synapse has on the Amprex is ammo economy. I think the Amprex probably beats it in that anyways as long as you're hitting 2+ additional targets. Edited by Baruti

-snip-

Hello, necro'd thread. How are you doing today?

Anyways, I don't believe you're correct on the sustained DPS bit-- on Warframe Builder, at least, comparison shows that the Synapse wins on single-target sustained DPS, but doesn't account for multiple targets, or that the Synapse is less reliable with Heavy Caliber (from what I've seen, anyways).