Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Possible Strict Nat Solution.

[DE]Grzegorz

Question

Many players might have encountered this issue and gave up trying to fix it, I think I've found a solution, so far it has 100% success rate (testing environment is severely limited however, I'd love to get more feedback).

Well, if every time you login into Warframe and are welcomed by "Strict NAT" error, you have problem joining or hosting games for your friends (with better luck for hosting open online lobbies), this guide is for you!

For more tech savvy people, try forwarding HTTP and HTTPS ports to your PC (80 and 443 respectively), it seems to solve this issue, in my testing environment at least.

For less experienced people, open spoiler below.

Launch command prompt (Press Windows key and R simultaneously), type CMD and press Enter

a11hQ.jpg

OR

Open Start menu and type "cmd" into searchbar, it should be first result.

a114n.jpg

Now, please type "ipconfig" into the console and scroll up, we are looking for something called Ethernet adapter (should be first), we are interested in IPv4 address.

a11xN.png

In my case, it's 192.168.17.108.

You need to connect to IP 192.168.X.Y, where X should be replaced with your set number and Y with 1 to connect to router setting page (keep your original Y in memory, or don't close command prompt, we'll need it later).

If you were successful, you should get a prompt asking you for login details.

a11SW.png

I can't help you if you don't know your login credentials, if it isn't Admin:admin, ask somebody who may know (more tech savvy family member or ISP provider)

This may vary depending on router's software and manufacturer, keywords should be the same however.

We are interested in something along "Applications and Gaming" lines, you will find Port Forwarding settings there.

a12w9.png

Simply fill these blank spaces with required information (Name it whatever you like, set it to game ports (3960 and 3962 by default, last blank IP space is for your Y which you were supposed to remember, revert to ipconfig mentioned earlier.), HTTP and HTTPS should be available as presets, if not, add these manually.

Now save settings, wait for it to reboot and probably enjoy your open NAT.

Post your feedback, opinions and problems here, I'll try to help you as much as I can. Feel free to PM me with either question or insults.

Edited by Mofixil

9 answers to this question

I can tell you this doesn't work for everyone. Warframe has some pretty crappy netcode and it screws with some players. I would just suggest to those players with strict nat/udp issues is to just enable DMZ mode on your router but only when playing warframe very important to know to disable it otherwise.

I had this problem for some time. I forwarded ports with no success. Then I turned off my windows firewall and that seemed to have fix it. Never had the strict nat issue after that. I'm now able to connect ot other players I couldn't before. Hope this helps.

I can tell you this doesn't work for everyone. Warframe has some pretty crappy netcode and it screws with some players. I would just suggest to those players with strict nat/udp issues is to just enable DMZ mode on your router but only when playing warframe very important to know to disable it otherwise.

Doesn't DMZ basically open all ports? This means Warframe uses its own ports+some more which are not listed. I'll have to get some network monitor to get some more indepth testing.

Nope.avi

My router is one of the dumb-as-a-rock routers. Forwarding ports didn't work.

Either change its software to something like Tomato or OpenWRT or get better router., it either has crappy firmware or bad configuration.

I had this problem for some time. I forwarded ports with no success. Then I turned off my windows firewall and that seemed to have fix it. Never had the strict nat issue after that. I'm now able to connect ot other players I couldn't before. Hope this helps.

I'll have to mention firewall settings, idiotproof guide will be much harder to do though.

Thanks for your feedback.

Currently I'm trying to explore which ports are used by Warframe and which can cause issues.

So far I've discovered that it uses 80 (for login purposes), and both 443 and 6667 ports ingame (purposes unknown), I haven't seen any traffic on 3960 and 3962 however, I'll check with another software to be sure.

#Update

So far I've seen these ports used.

80-Login purposes.

443-Purpose unknown, launcher some time after joining Dojo, will test with game lobby.

6667-Same as above.

3960-Player communication ports, no activity noticed somehow.

3962-Same as above.

53402-Internal communication?

52809-Same as above?

53985-Same as above?

Ports 6667 and 443 barely use any bandwith (both use 0.01KBps income, 443 also uses 0.01KBps outcome).

I'd love if someone from DE team would come here and explain this stuff for the sake of fixing this issue.

Edited by Mofixil

Doesn't DMZ basically open all ports? This means Warframe uses its own ports+some more which are not listed.

From my understanding yes. And I don't know if that means if warframe has other ports.

I do know that DMZ mode isn't supported by some companies (Valve being one of them) and will cause problems with their games. So I'm not completely sure how it functions but I do know it leaves you pretty vulnerable to hacker attacks so its very important to disable when not using it.

Also I know I don't have a complete crap router I'm able to forward the ports needed for minecraft and host a lagless server up to 6 people just fine, but warframe nothing works other than DMZ mode.

Also I know I don't have a complete crap router I'm able to forward the ports needed for minecraft and host a lagless server up to 6 people just fine, but warframe nothing works other than DMZ mode.

I think it's because of some "hidden" ports Warframe uses, I've found a few as I mentioned earlier, still don't know exactly which one corresponds to what.

Edited by Mofixil

#Update

So far I've seen these ports used.

80-Login purposes.

443-Purpose unknown, launcher some time after joining Dojo, will test with game lobby.

6667-Same as above.

3960-Player communication ports, no activity noticed somehow.

3962-Same as above.

53402-Internal communication?

52809-Same as above?

53985-Same as above?

Ports 6667 and 443 barely use any bandwith (both use 0.01KBps income, 443 also uses 0.01KBps outcome).

I disabled DMZ and attempted to forward this ports (tcp&udp) still have the strict nat issue

I beat my head against strict NAT and my PS4 back in the beginning and the conclusion I came to is that my ISP (Cox) blocks port 80 inbound to me and possibly others and this messes with the game's NAT detection.  I have the right ports forwarded and in spite of the annoying login message the game functions properly.  Lots of the "fixes" I tried in the process made the game decidedly *not* work properly.  So I undid all of the extra junk to simply forward the two UDP ports and have been happy since.

I guess the point being that your ISP is sitting in the middle and can't be ignored in all of this.  If you think you have ports forwarded to your machine you should verify that traffic can get there from some external source IP.

A DMZ address works fine for PS4. I would not do it for a PC but consoles should be fine/safe.

You just need to manually set an address in your PS4 though and set it high eg. 192.168.0.250 rather than let it choose an address

everytime it logs on or setting a low one. Chances are that you will never have more than 248 devices connected to your router before

that address gets assigned by the router.