Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested...and Its Real World Counterpart-Cordyceps

Babellon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps

When a Cordyceps fungus attacks a host, the mycelium invades and eventually replaces the host tissue, while the elongated fruit body (ascocarp) may be cylindrical, branched, or of complex shape. The ascocarp bears many small, flask-shaped perithecia containing asci. These, in turn, contain thread-like ascospores, which usually break into fragments and are presumably infective. Some current and former Cordyceps species are able to affect the behaviour of their insect host:Ophiocordyceps unilateralis (formerly Cordyceps unilateralis) causes ants to climb a plant and attach there before they die. This ensures the parasite's environment is at an optimal temperature and humidity, and that maximal distribution of the spores from the fruit body that sprouts out of the dead insect is achieved.[4] Marks have been found on fossilised leaves that suggest this ability to modify the host's behaviour evolved more than 48 million years ago.[5] (excerpt from the wikia post)

I wonder if this was perhaps part of the root inspiration for the infested virus in dark sectors and currently Warframe. 

Edit: cannot seem to make it not grey out on the page...sorry. Highlight it and it'll show.

Edited by -LTO-Malachi

I doubt there is much inspiration from this, specifically. Infested bear more of a resemblance to a generic zombie plague.

well, I was thinking in terms of it attacks, takes over, and controls a host, then grows from it, transforming the host into something else.

Stuff like this in real life probably inspired the original infested species thing, you know that is is basically every science fiction ever.

indeed. there are a great many things in nature which have inspired science fiction in plenty of ways. 

That's not the scary part.

This is the scary part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps#mediaviewer/File:Soup_of_silkie_seahorse_and_cordyceps.jpg

People actually EAT it.  At this rate, we might have a real life infestation.

You are going to find it strange, but it is consumable by humans in some parts of the world...well...one of the many strains of it anyway. 

For a period of time, I actually took capsules of this stuff in powdered form, since in Chinese medicine it supposedly helps with the health of the lungs and stuff, so I'm gonna hazard a guess that the scary infecting strain of cordyceps probably isn't the same as the one humans ingest...though I could be wrong :P

EDIT: also you have such a beautiful body with healthy skin...might a have small nibble xD

Edited by yuio678

You are going to find it strange, but it is consumable by humans in some parts of the world...well...one of the many strains of it anyway. 

For a period of time, I actually took capsules of this stuff in powdered form, since in Chinese medicine it supposedly helps with the health of the lungs and stuff, so I'm gonna hazard a guess that the scary infecting strain of cordyceps probably isn't the same as the one humans ingest...though I could be wrong :P

EDIT: also you have such a beautiful body with healthy skin...might a have small nibble xD

It actually is the same, Cordyceps is only capable of infecting its relevant host bodies, and in any case, our immune system is much stronger than an insect's so the amount of infectious cells required would be significantly higher. And we have anti-fungal medicine so yeah.

It actually is the same, Cordyceps is only capable of infecting its relevant host bodies, and in any case, our immune system is much stronger than an insect's so the amount of infectious cells required would be significantly higher. And we have anti-fungal medicine so yeah.

In certain parts of the world cordyceps-infected caterpillars are used in medicine IIRC.

@ -LTO-Malachi ... Big thanks for the research post!

I have always believed that good science fiction MUST be good science, otherwise it may as well be just romantic fantasy and magic

BTW the Wiki page photo looks IDENTICAL to the "carpets" of waving tube like orange Infested that cover the floors and walls of an overrun Grineer or Corpus station ...

Footnote to the "science-minded":  this fungus produces a chemical mimic of one of the fundamental nucleic acids that acts like a "Trojan horse" and kills cancer cells!

Edited by ElHefe