Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Kubrow Suggestion

thececilmaster

With all the mixed feelings about the Kubrows put aside, we mostly agree that the loyalty system is pretty harsh as it stands, especially with the lack of a decent bleed-out time (unless you equip loyal companion, which is awesome).  So, here's my suggestion to tackle both problems with one stone (yay, mixed metaphors!)

Instead of having an increased damage rating from loyalty (which, honestly, doesn't make sense to me - more to come later), have an increased bleed-out time from loyalty. If you have a large bleed-out with a loyal Kubrow, you'll have a better chance at saving that Kubrow (which is pretty obvious) if it goes down. Less loyalty, less chance of saving.

Let's say we start the max-loyalty bleed-out at Tenno-level. This bleed-out time is rather decent, and allows us a better window to save the Kubrow that decided to run off into another universe. As we fail to save our Kubrow, our Kubrow trusts us less, and doesn't have as much desire to hold on to his last glimmers of life - if his master isn't going to save him, why should he try to keep living?

In the Kubrow's mind, this is what I currently imagine is going on as he loses loyalty:

My master isn't keeping me alive very well in battle, nor does he save me once I fall to our enemies. I'm not going to bite people, whack people, or pounce on people as hard next battle. That'll show him! My master will know better than to let me die if I make myself look like a completely useless little turd, and not do enough damage to the enemies to keep myself alive! That makes complete and utter sense!

With my suggestion, I imagine it would be more along the lines of this:

My master isn't keeping me alive very well in battle, nor does he save me once I fall to our enemies. I'm not sure I really care to hold on to life as dearly as I used to, since, what is the point if my master doesn't care? My master already doesn't want to save me, so if I die sooner, what does it matter? He won't notice. He already doesn't. 

One of those sounds like a whiny, over-dramatic, turd of a drama queen, while the other sounds like a depressed, betrayed, husk of a once-warrior. The depressed Kubrow makes more sense than the drama queen, in my opinion. Also, the game mechanics work better this way as well - if we can save our Kubrows when they're young, and as they get older and we can fit Loyal Companion on them (seriously, it's called Loyal Companion - DE, were you guys not communicating on this?), they have much longer bleed-outs than the Tenno, letting us have a much better chance to save the poorly-AI'd creatures.

TL;DR Make the Kubrows' Loyalty meter affect bleed-out duration, not damage. Keep damage at the "+100%" level from the current Loyalty system.

In my opinion the lower the loyalty the higher the independence and aggression and thus damage with a slight risk of your Kubrow becoming like the Feral Kubrow. I would love to play the bad guy owner and villain but currently there are no bonuses to the system. Only penalties.

+1.

It's rather annoying trying to strengthen my kubrow when taking it on tough missions tends to have the exact opposite effect.

At the very least, reduce the death penalty. 40% is very harsh when petting only restores 20% with a limit of 3 pettings a day.

Edited by Aoden

In my opinion the lower the loyalty the higher the independence and aggression and thus damage with a slight risk of your Kubrow becoming like the Feral Kubrow. I would love to play the bad guy owner and villain but currently there are no bonuses to the system. Only penalties.

Very interesting idea. I'm not sure how DE (and the super-evil animal rights activist groups) would feel about that, however. Honestly, I'm not sure I would like the idea of a bonus to not treating your Kubrow well, even with risks, but to each their own.

Very interesting idea. I'm not sure how DE (and the super-evil animal rights activist groups) would feel about that, however. Honestly, I'm not sure I would like the idea of a bonus to not treating your Kubrow well, even with risks, but to each their own.

I have another idea for Loyalty, if you like to hear it. 

Took me a bit to find your suggestion, but I do really like it. Sounds like a great rework, with heavy emphasis on the "re" part of "rework" - It'd take them a lot more time to change the system that drastically than it would to change which aspect of the Kubrow got modified (would still be a difficult, but not as difficult) by the loyalty. Once again, I did like your suggestion, and would love to see that implemented. In the mean time, I think my change would prove to be a better temp fix.